- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
New Construction of Order-Preserving Encryption Based on Order-Revealing Encryption
- Kim, Kee Sung (School of Information Technology Engineering, Daegu Catholic University)
- Received : 2018.12.21
- Accepted : 2019.01.22
- Published : 2019.10.31
Developing methods to search over an encrypted database (EDB) have received a lot of attention in the last few years. Among them, order-revealing encryption (OREnc) and order-preserving encryption (OPEnc) are the core parts in the case of range queries. Recently, some ideally-secure OPEnc schemes whose ciphertexts reveal no additional information beyond the order of the underlying plaintexts have been proposed. However, these schemes either require a large round complexity or a large persistent client-side storage of size O(n) where n denotes the number of encrypted items stored in EDB. In this work, we propose a new construction of an efficient OPEnc scheme based on an OREnc scheme. Security of our construction inherits the security of the underlying OREnc scheme. Moreover, we also show that the construction of a non-interactive ideally-secure OPEnc scheme with a constant client-side storage is theoretically possible from our construction.
Database Encryption;Order-Preserving Encryption;Order-Revealing Encryption
Supported by : Daegu Catholic University
- F. Kerschbaum, "Frequency-hiding order-preserving encryption," in Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security, Denver, CO, 2015, pp. 656-667.
- D. S. Roche, D. Apon, S. G. Choi, and A. Yerukhimovich, "POPE: partial order preserving encoding," in Proceedings of the 2016 ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security, Vienna, Austria, 2016, pp. 1131-1142.
- N. Chenette, K. Lewi, S. A. Weis, and D. J. Wu, "Practical order-revealing encryption with limited leakage," in Fast Software Encryption. Heidelberg: Springer, 2016, pp. 474-493.
- K. Lewi and D. J. Wu, "Order-revealing encryption: New constructions, applications, and lower bounds," in Proceedings of the 2016 ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security, Vienna, Austria, 2016, pp. 1167-1178.
- D. Boneh, K. Lewi, M. Raykova, A. Sahai, M. Zhandry, and J. Zimmerman, "Semantically secure order-revealing encryption: multi-input functional encryption without obfuscation," in Advances in Cryptology - EUROCRYPT 2015. Heidelberg: Springer, 2015, pp. 563-594.
- E. Miles, A. Sahai, and M. Zhandry, "Annihilation attacks for multilinear maps: cryptanalysis of indistinguishability obfuscation over GGH13," in Advances in Cryptology - CRYPT 2016. Heidelberg: Springer, 2016, pp. 629-658.
- J. H. Cheon, K. Han, C. Lee, H. Ryu, and D. Stehle, "Cryptanalysis of the CLT13 multilinear map," Journal of Cryptology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 547-565, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00145-018-9307-y