- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
An Improved Fast Camera Calibration Method for Mobile Terminals
- Guan, Fang-li (School of Information Engineering. Zhejiang Agriculture and Forestry University) ;
- Xu, Ai-jun (School of Information Engineering. Zhejiang Agriculture and Forestry University) ;
- Jiang, Guang-yu (School of Information Engineering. Zhejiang Agriculture and Forestry University)
- Received : 2017.07.21
- Accepted : 2017.11.01
- Published : 2019.10.31
Camera calibration is an important part of machine vision and close-range photogrammetry. Since current calibration methods fail to obtain ideal internal and external camera parameters with limited computing resources on mobile terminals efficiently, this paper proposes an improved fast camera calibration method for mobile terminals. Based on traditional camera calibration method, the new method introduces two-order radial distortion and tangential distortion models to establish the camera model with nonlinear distortion items. Meanwhile, the nonlinear least square L-M algorithm is used to optimize parameters iteration, the new method can quickly obtain high-precise internal and external camera parameters. The experimental results show that the new method improves the efficiency and precision of camera calibration. Terminals simulation experiment on PC indicates that the time consuming of parameter iteration reduced from 0.220 seconds to 0.063 seconds (0.234 seconds on mobile terminals) and the average reprojection error reduced from 0.25 pixel to 0.15 pixel. Therefore, the new method is an ideal mobile terminals camera calibration method which can expand the application range of 3D reconstruction and close-range photogrammetry technology on mobile terminals.
Camera Calibration Technique;Camera Distortion Correction;Close-Range Photogrammetry;Machine Vision;Mobile Terminals;Pinhole Model
Grant : The research of tree's height and DBH measurement method based on the intelligent mobile terminals, Research and extension of intelligent tree measurement system based on Android platform
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Zhejiang Provincial Education Department
- Y. Kuai, G. Wen, B. Hui, and S. Qiu, "Large-scale scene calibration method utilizing multiple chessboards," Bulletin of Surveying and Mapping, vol. 2016, no. 7, pp. 37-43, 2016.
- R. Tsai, "An efficient and accurate camera calibration technique for 3D machine vision," in Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Miami, FL, 1986, pp. 364-374.
- R. Tsai, "A versatile camera calibration technique for high-accuracy 3D machine vision metrology using off-the-shelf TV cameras and lenses," IEEE Journal on Robotics and Automation, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 323-344, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/JRA.1987.1087109
- X. Yang, X. Zhang, S. Cheng, M. Huang, "Progress on camera calibration methods in visual measurement," Machinery Design & Manufacture, vol. 2009, no. 3, pp. 259-261, 2009.
- Y. Wu and X. Bian, "Experimental analysis of camera calibration in computer vision," Electronic Measurement Technology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 95-99, 2016.
- H. Yu, "Research on camera calibration algorithm," M.S. thesis, Shandong University, Shandong, China, 2016.
- Z. Hu and F. Wu, "A review on some active vision based camera calibration techniques," Chinese Journal of Computers, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1149-1156, 2002.
- E. Dong, S. Yan, and J. Tong, "Research about method of face detection and tracking based on active vision," Journal of System Simulation, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 973-979, 2015.
- C. Zhang, H. Yang, C. Han, and F. Yang, "Multi-camera calibration based on vanishing point constraint," Acta Photonica Sinica, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 93-99, 2016.
- J. Xue, X. Su, and Y. Dou, "A concentric circles and wedge grating-based camera self-calibration method," Chinese Journal of Lasers, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 184-188, 2012.
- X. Wu and D. Fan, "A robust semi-definite programming based camera self-calibration method," Acta Electronica Sinica, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1210-1215, 2014.
- Y. Hao, W. Zhou, and B. Zhong, "Self-calibration technique based on Kruppa equations obtaining initial solution by translational motion," Computer Engineering and Applications, vol. 45, no. 22, pp. 38-40, 2009.
- Z. Zhang, "A flexible new technique for camera calibration," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1330-1334, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.888718
- Z. Zhang, "Camera calibration with one-dimensional objects," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 892-899, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2004.21
- Y. Liu and T. Li, "Research of the improvement of Zhang's camera calibration method," Optical Technique, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 565-570, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3788/GXJS20144006.0565
- Y. Liu and L. Xie, "Research on improved camera calibration method based on coplanar points," Computer Engineering, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 289-293, 2016.
- Y. Bok, H. G. Jeon, and I. S. Kweon, "Geometric calibration of micro-lens-based light field cameras using line features," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 287-300, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2016.2541145
- K. H. Strobl and M. Lingenauber, "Stepwise calibration of focused plenoptic cameras," Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 145, pp. 140-147, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cviu.2015.12.010
- D. Lin, A. Zhang, P. Wang, Y. Ma, L. Yang, and Z. Liu, "Application of Zhang's calibration method in binocular vision pulse measurement system," Journal of Lanzhou University of Technology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 78-85, 2016.
- Z. Duan, N. Wang, W. Zhao, and W. Zhao, "Calibration method based on lattice calibration plate in vision measurement system," Acta Optica Sinica, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 143-151, 2016.
- Z. Li and Y. Zhao, "Full calibration of camera based on single image," Computer Engineering, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 5-8, 2013.
- S. Finsterle and M. B. Kowalsky, "A truncated Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm for the calibration of highly parameterized nonlinear models," Computers & Geosciences, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 731-738, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2010.11.005
- H. Pang, D. Chen, M. Pan, S. Luo, Q. Zhang, J. Li, and F. Luo, "Improvement of magnetometer calibration using Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm," IEEJ Transactions on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 324-328, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1002/tee.21973
- H. Quan, S. Yan, and H. Zhang, "The evaluation of camera calibration accuracy in computer vision," Journal of Zhengzhou Institute of Surveying and Mapping, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 222-224, 2006.
- M. Wang, Z. Zhou, C. Li, M. Wei, and L. Mao, "Harris corner detection algorithm based on pixel point gray difference," Computer Engineering, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 227-230, 2015.
- X. Tan, Z. Guo, and Z. Jiang, "Chessboard grid corners detection based on geometric symmetry," Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1540-1542, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3724/SP.J.1087.2008.01540