- Volume 28 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Dominant Bacterial Species in a Bench-Scale Shipboard Sewage Treatment Plant
- Mansoor, Sana (Department of Environmental Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Ji, Hyeon-Jo (Department of Environmental Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Shin, Dae-Yeol (Department of Environmental Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Jung, Byung-Gil (Department of Environmental Engineering, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Choi, Young-Ik (Department of Environmental Engineering, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2019.10.09
- Accepted : 2019.10.25
- Published : 2019.10.31
Recently, an innovative method for wastewater treatment and nutrient removal was developed by combining the sequence batch reactor and membrane bioreactor to overcome pollution caused by shipboard sewage. This system is a modified form of the activated sludge process and involves repeated cycles of mixing and aeration. In the present study, the bacterial diversity and dominant microbial community in this wastewater treatment system were studied using the MACROGEN next generation sequencing technique. A high diversity of bacteria was observed in anaerobic and aerobic bioreactors, with approximately 486 species. Microbial diversity and the presence of beneficial species are crucial for an effective biological shipboard wastewater treatment system. The Arcobacter genus was dominant in the anaerobic tank, which mainly contained Arcobacter lanthieri (8.24%), followed by Acinetobacter jahnsonii (5.81%). However, the dominant bacterial species in the aerobic bioreactor were Terrimonas lutea (7.24%) and Rubrivivax gelatinosus (4.95%).
Supported by : Dong-A University
- Choi, Y. I., Shin, D. Y., Mansoor, S., Kwon, M. J., Jung, J. H., Jung, B. G., 2018, A Study on microorganism dominant species in Bench-scale shipboard STP using combined SBR and MBR process, Journal of the Korean Society for Environmental Technology, 19, 550-555. https://doi.org/10.26511/JKSET.19.6.7
- Cydzik-Kwiatkowska, A., Zielinska, M., 2016, Bacterial communities in full-scale wastewater treatment systems. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 32, 66. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-016-2012-9
- Divya, M., Aanand, S., Srinivasan, A., Ahilan, B.. 2015, Bioremediation - an eco-friendly tool for effluent treatment: A review, International Journal of Applied Research, 1, 530-537
- Ersu, C. B.. 2006, Biological nutrient removal in Bench-scale membrane bioreactor and full-scale sequencing batch reactor under various configurations and conditions. Retrospective Theses and Dissertations, 1254, Iowa State University, IA, USA.
- Hanninen, S., Sassi, J., 2009, Estimated nutrient load from waste waters originating from ships in the Baltic area, Research report VTT-R-07396-08, VTT Technical Research Center of Finland, Finland.
- Kim, M. K., 2017, Rhodopsin reconstruction reveals the presence of Bacteroidetesderived rhodopsin from fresh water environment. Master's dissertation, Sogang University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Kim, T. S., Kwon, S. D., Kim, H. S., Lee, S. Y., Hwang, S. H., Park, H. D., 2010, Analysis of bacterial community composition and dynamics in an activated sludge wastewater treatment plant, Korean Society on Water Environment, 2010:85-86.
- Lee, D. H., 2013, Development of MBR system for treatment of RO concentrated water generated from sewage reuse process. Master's dissertation, Myongji University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Lindqvist, M. H., Johansson, N., Nilsson, T., Rova, M., 2012, Expression of chlorite dismutase and chlorate reductase in the presence of oxygen and/or chlorate as the terminal electron acceptor in Ideonella dechloratans. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 78, 4380-4385. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.07303-11
- Metcalf, E.. 2013, Wastewater engineering: Treatment and resource recovery, McGraw-Hill Education, New York.
- Ofiteru, I. D., Lunn, M., Curtis, T. P., Wells, G. F., Criddle, C. S., Francis, C. A., Sloan, W. T., 2010, Combined niche and neutral effects in a microbial wastewater treatment community, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 107, 15345-15350. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1000604107
- Perez-Cataluna, A., Salas-Masso, N., Dieguez, A. L., Balboa, S., Lema, A., Romalde, J. L., Figueras, M. J.. Revisiting the taxonomy of the genus Arcobactor: getting order from the Chaos, Frontiers in Microbiology, 9, 2077.
- Tang, K., 2017, The microorganisms found in sewage, Sciencing.
- Theobald, D.. 2014, Microorganisms in activated sludge, Water Technology Solutions for Industrial Water Management.
- Van, der H. J., Duijff, R., Reinstra, O., 2018, Nitrogen recovery from wastewater: possibilities, competition with other resources, and adaptation pathways, Sustainability, 10, 4605. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10124605
- Yamashita, T., Yamamoto-Ikemoto, Y.. 2014, Nitrogen and phosphorus removal from wastewater treatment plant effluent via bacterial sulfate reduction in an anoxic bioreactor packed with wood and iron, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 11, 9835-9853. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph110909835