- Volume 28 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Drought Characteristics in Gyeongbuk Based on the Duration of Standard Precipitation Index
- Ahn, Seung Seop (Civil Engineering of Kyungil University) ;
- Park, Ki bum (Civil Engineering of Kyungil University) ;
- Yim, Dong Hee (Civil Engineering of Kyungil University)
- Received : 2019.10.01
- Accepted : 2019.10.23
- Published : 2019.10.31
Using the Standard Precipitation Index (SPI), this study analyzed the drought characteristics of ten weather stations in Gyeongbuk, South Korea, that precipitation data over a period of 30 years. For the number of months that had a SPI of -1.0 or less, the drought occurrence index was calculated and a maximum shortage months, resilience and vulnerability in each weather station were analyzed. According to the analysis, in terms of vulnerability, the weather stations with acute short-term drought were Andong, Bonghwa, Moongyeong, and Gumi. The weather stations with acute medium-term drought were Daegu and Uljin. Finally the weather stations with acute long-term drought were Pohang, Youngdeok, and Youngju. In terms of severe drought frequency, the stations with relatively high frequency of mid-term droughts were Andong, Bonghwa, Daegu, Uiseong, Uljin, and Youngju. Gumi station had high frequency of short-term droughts. Pohang station had severe short-term ad long-term droughts. Youngdeok had severe droughts during all the terms. Based on the analysis results, it is inferred that the size of the drought should be evaluated depending on how serious vulnerability, resilience, and drought index are. Through proper evaluation of drought, it is possible to take systematic measures for the duration of the drought.
- Chang, Y. G., Kim, S. D., Choi, G. W., 2006, A Study of drought spatio-temporal characteristics using SPI-EOF analysis, J. Korea water resources association, 39(8), 691-702. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2006.39.8.691
- Revelle, C., 1999, Optimizing reservoir resources including a new model for reservoir reliability, John Willy & Sons Inc., 22-44.
- Kwak, J. W., Lee, S. D., Kim, Y. S., Kim, H. S., 2013, Return period estimation of droughts using drought variables from standard precipitation index, J. Korea water resources association, 46(8), 795-805. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.8.795
- Lee, D. R., Lee, D. H., Kang, S. U., 2003, Drought triggers and montering system, J. Korea water resources association, 36(3), 375-384. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2003.36.3.375
- Mckee, T. B., Doesken, N. J., Kleist, J., 1993, The relationship of drought frequency and duration to time scales, 8th Conference on applied climatology, 17-22 January, Anaheim, California.
- Won, K. J., Chung, E. S., 2016, Drought analysis of Cheongmicheon watershed using meteorogical, agricultural and hydrogical drought indices, J. Korea water resources association, 49(6), 509-518. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2016.49.6.509
- Yoon, Y. S., Lee, Y. G., Lee, J. W., Kim, S. J., 2019, Short term drought forecasting using Seasonal ARIMA model based on SPI and SDI-for Chungju dam and Boryeong dam watershed, J, of the korean society of agriculture engineers, 61(1), 61-74.