- Volume 28 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Analysis of the Accuracy of Areal Precipitation According to the Rainfall Analysis Method of Mountainous Streams
- Kang, Bo-Seong (Department of Civil Engineering, Jeju National University) ;
- Yang, Sung-Kee (Department of Civil Engineering, Jeju National University) ;
- Kang, Myung-Soo (Department of Civil Engineering, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2019.09.26
- Accepted : 2019.10.24
- Published : 2019.10.31
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the method of estimating the areal precipitation reflecting the altitude of the mountainous terrain on Jeju Island by comparing and analyzing the areal precipitation using the Thiessen polygon method and the isohyetal method in mountainous streams. In terms of constructing the Thiessen polygon network, rainfall errors occurred in 94.5% and 45.8% of the Thiessen area ratio of the Jeju and Ara stations, respectively. This resulted in large areal precipitation and errors using the isohyetal method at altitudes below 600 m in the target watershed. In contrast, there were small errors in the highlands. Rainfall errors occurred in 18.91% of the Thiessen area ratio of Eorimok, 2.41% of Witseoreum, and 2.84% of Azalea Field because of the altitudinal influence of stations located in the highlands at altitudes above 600 m. Based on the areal precipitation estimation using the Thiessen polygon method, it was considered to be partially applicable to streams on Jeju Island depending on the altitude. However, the method is not suitable for mountainous streams such as the streams on Jeju Island because errors occur with altitude. Therefore, the isohyetal method is considered to be more suitable as it considers the locations of the rainfall stations and the orographic effect and because there are no errors with altitude.
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Korean government
- CCIC (Climate Change Information Center), 2012, The abnormal climate report.
- CCIC (Climate Change Information Center), 2014, http://www.climate.go.kr.
- English, E. J., 1973, An Objective method of calculating areal rainfall, Meteo, Magazine, 102, 292-298.
- Eulogio, P. I., 1998, Comparison of geostatistical method for estimating the areal average climatological rainfall mean using data on precipitation and topography, International J. Climatology, 18(9), 1031-1047. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0088(199807)18:9<1031::AID-JOC303>3.0.CO;2-U
- Goovaerts, P., 2000, Geostatistical approaches for incorporating elevation into the spatial interpolation of rainfall. J. Hydrology, 228(1/2), 113-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(00)00144-X
- Jung, W. Y., Yang, S. K., 2009, Simulation of runoff of rivers in Jeju island using SWAT model, J. Environ. Sci., 18(9), 1045-1055.
- Kang, B. S., Yang, S. K., Jung, W. Y., Kim, Y. S., 2014, Calculation of the flood runoff of the river with imaging equipments, J. Environ. Sci., 23(4), 585-594.
- Lee, J. H., Choe, H. I., Jeon, H. D., 2015, The Effect of raingauge network on areal average rainfall estimation, J. Korea Water Res. Asso., 48(9), 36-49.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, 2012, Guideline of design flood estimation, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, Korea.
- Pardo-Iguzquiza, B., 1998, Optimal selection of number and location of rainfall gauges for areal rainfall estimation using geostatistics and simulated annealing, J. Hydrology, 210(1), 206-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(98)00188-7
- Yang, S. K., Kim, D. S., Jung, W. Y., Yu, K., 2011, Analysis and comparison of stream discharge measurements in Jeju island using various recent monitoring techniques, J. Environ. Sci., 20(6), 738-788.
- Yoo, C. S., Jung, K. S., 2001, Estimation of area average rainfall amount and its error, J. Korea Water Res. Asso., 34(4), 317-326.
- Yoo, C. S., Lee, J. H., Yang, D. M., Jung, J. H., 2011, Spatial analysis of rain gauge networks: Application of uniform and Poisson distributions, J. Korea Soc. Hazard Mitig., 11(4), 179-187. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2011.11.4.179
- Yoon, T. H., Yoon, S. B., 1981, Plotting of Isohyetal Maps and Estimation of Mean Areal Rainfall by Finite Element Method, J. Korean Soc. Civ. Eng., 29(3), 153-161.