- Volume 9 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effects of Student Pilot Stress on Psychological Health
학생 조종사의 스트레스가 심리적 건강에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Kim, Geun-Su (Department of ICT Convergence, Sehan University) ;
- Kim, Ha-Young (Department of Management, Korea Aerospace University)
- Received : 2019.09.04
- Accepted : 2019.10.20
- Published : 2019.10.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of stress factors of student pilots on mental health, and to reduce the safe and efficient misconduct education and psychological disharmony by identifying the psychological buffering role of stress coping style and social support. In order to achieve the research purpose, a research model and hypothesis were presented based on previous studies, and regression analysis and mediation effect verification were conducted through a questionnaire survey of 202 student pilots. As a result of the analysis, factors such as flight stress, values stress, professor stress, and friend relationship stress have been shown to affect emotional conditions or psychological well-being. Also we found that the parameters of disengagement coping, family/friend support and organization Support had a mediating effect on the factors between student pilot stress and psychological health. Therefore, student pilots need to manage problems and negative emotions that may cause from flight training, value distractions, professor and friendships' relationship and it is suggested that organization support for training and safety related to emotional support and delinquency of family and friends.
Supported by : Sehan University
- Korea Transportation Safety Authority(TS). (2019). Professional Education, Korea aviation education & training portal, https://www.kaa.atims.kr/pubs/course/institution/list.do.
- J. K. Lee. (2006). A Study on the Stress Factors and Characteristics of Student Pilots. master's thesis, Korea aerospace University.
- T. K. Sim. (2010). The effects of stress and anxiety on well-being: mediating effects of emotion control and sleep. Master's Thesis. Gyeongsang University.
- M. A. Im. (2007). Influence of College Students' Life Stress on Aggression. Master's thesis, Myongji University.
- D. K. Kim & S. Y. Jeon. (2003). Effects of psychological factors on flight training process. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, 14(4), 37-49.
- M. S. Sim. (2006). The role of life as a stress buffer. Master's Thesis, Catholic University.
- S. Cohen & T. A. Wills. (1985). Stress, social support, and the buffering hypothesis. Psychological bulletin, 98(2), 310. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.98.2.310
- J. N. Kim. (2004). The Effects of Mental Health on Psychological Well-being of Humanities High School Students. Thesis for Master's degree, Keimyung University.
- C. K. Kim, H. S. Byun & Y. S. Chae. (2006). The Effect of Integrative Literature Therapy Program on Depression and Life Stress of College Students. Emotional and Behavioral Disorders Research, 22(1), 103-125.
- M. Steinhardt & C. Dolbier. (2008). Evaluation of a resilience intervention to enhance coping strategies and protective factors and decrease symptomatology. Journal of American college health, 56(4), 445-453. https://doi.org/10.3200/JACH.56.44.445-454
- H. K. Seo & K. S. Lee. (2010). The relationshi-p between life stress, social comparison and subjective well-being of college students. Korean Journal of Psychology: Health, 15(2), 327-343. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2010.15.2.010
- C. Y. Kim. (2000). The Effects of Stress Coping Training on Stress Reduction and Mental Health of College Students. Master's Thesis, Korea National University.
- H. J. Hong. (2005). Self-realization Trend of College Students by Stress Level. master's thesis, Konyang University.
- S. Y. Ahn & C. S. Ha. (2008). Counseling General: The Relationship between Self-Control, Stress Perception, and Coping of College Students-Focused on a Local College Student. Counseling Studies, 9(2), 391-403.
- Y. H. Park. (2003). Music Therapeutic Approach to Reducing Aircraft Pilot Job Stress. Master's thesis, Ewha University.
- R. S. Lazarus & S. Folkman. (1984). Stress, appraisal, and coping. Springer publishing company.
- R. S. Lazarus & S. Folkman. (1987). Transactional theory and research on emotions and coping. European Journal of personality, 1(3), 141-169. https://doi.org/10.1002/per.2410010304
- C. S. Carver, M. F. Scheier & J. K. Weintraub. (1989). Assessing coping strategies: a theoretically based approach. Journal of personality and social psychology, 56(2), 267. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1247
- D. L. Tobin, K. A. Holroyd, R. V. Reynolds & J. K. Wigal. (1989). The hierarchical factor structure of the Coping Strategies Inventory. Cognitive therapy and research, 13(4), 343-361. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01173478
- C. S. Carver & J. Connor-Smith. (2010). Personality and coping. Annual review of psychology, 61, 679-704. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.093008.100352
- D. J. Terry, L. Tonge & V. J. Callan. (1995). Employee adjustment to stress: The role of coping resources, situational factors, and coping responses. Anxiety, Stress & Coping, 8(1), 1-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/10615809508249360
- C. J. Forsythe & B. E. Compas. (1987). Interaction of cognitive appraisals of stressful events and coping: Testing the goodness of fit hypothesis. Cognitive. Therapy and Research, 11(4), 473-485. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01175357
- E. H. Lee. (2004). Life stress and depression experienced by college students: Verification of coping style through covariate structure model. Korean Journal of Psychology: Health, 9(1), 25-48.
- H. S. Yang. (2004). Effects of Attachment Types and Stress Coping Styles on Adaptation to College Life. Master's Thesis, Yonsei University.
- P. A. Jennings & A. A. DeMauro. (2017). Individual-level interventions: Mindfulness-based approaches to reducing stress and improving performance among teachers. In Educator Stress. 319-346.
- J. W. Park. (1985). Work research for developing social support scale. Doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University.
- M. Dumont & M. A. Provost. (1999). Resilience in adolescents: Protective role of social support, coping strategies, self-esteem, and social activities on experience of stress and depression. Journal of youth and adolescence, 28(3), 343-363. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021637011732
- D. H. Kim. (2012). Cultural adaptation and organizational fairness of foreign workers Study on impact. Ph.D. Dissertation, Hoseo University
- I. G. Sarason, H. M. Levine, R. B. Basham & B. R. Sarason. (1983). Assessing social support: The social support questionnaire. Journal of personality and social psychology, 44(1), 127. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199
- D. J. Shin & S. O. Kim. (2016). The Relationship between Emotional Labor Type, Social Support and Job Stress of Childcare Teachers: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Social Support. Childcare Support Research, 11(1), 119-141.
- M. H. Kim. (2012). The Relationship between Teaching Engagement Pattern, Kindergarten Teachers, and Kindergarten Organizational Climate. Master's Thesis, Ewha Womans University.
- J. Cassidy, R. Parke, L. Butkosky & J. M. Braungart. (1992). Family-peer connections; the roles of emotional expressiveness within the family and children's understanding of emotions. Child Development, 63, 603-618. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131349
- E. J. Jung. (2018). Factors Affecting the Level of Cultural Adaptation Stress and Mental Health of Korean Foreign Pilots. Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul National University.
- I. McDowell, C. Newell & W. Rosser. (1990). A follow-up study of patients advised to obtain influenza immunizations. Family medicine, 22(4), 303-306.
- A. Y. Lee. (2010). The Relationship between University Taekwondo Demonstration Team Participation and Stress, Self-efficacy and Psychological Well-Being. Doctoral dissertation. Mokpo National University.
- M. J. Park. (2013). Relationships between Mindfulness, Psychological Well-being, and Job Satisfaction of Child Care Teachers: Through Psychological Well-being. Master's thesis. Chung-Ang University.
- E. Diener, D. Wirtz, W. Tov, C. Kim-Prieto, D. W. Choi, S. Oishi & R. Biswas-Diener. (2010). New well-being measures: Short scales to assess flourishing and positive and negative feelings. Social Indicators Research, 97(2), 143-156. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-009-9493-y
- K. H. Kim. (2014). Analyzing the Moderating Effect of Acceptance and Commitment in the Relationship between College Life Stress and Psychological Well-Being. Ph.D Thesis, Chonnam National University.