- Volume 9 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Differences of Executive Function according to Type of Early English Learning Experience of 5-years old
조기영어학습 경험의 유형에 따른 만 5세 유아의 실행기능의 차이
- Kim, Rae-Eun (Department of Social Welfare, U1 University)
- 김래은 (유원대학교 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2019.08.26
- Accepted : 2019.10.20
- Published : 2019.10.28
The purpose of this paper was to analyze the differences in executive function according to type of early English learning experience. The subjects were 75 5-years-old who had immersive early English learning in language school, and daycare center. The measurement tools were stroop, DCCST, memorize numbers, pattern fluency, and maze. We conducted covariance analysis with total intelligence as the covariates. In the results, there were significant differences in attention control and cognitive flexibility, but weren't significant differences in information processing and goal setting according to type of early English learning experience. This study suggests that experience of immersive early English learning positively affected attention control and cognitive flexibility, and didn't affect information processing and goal setting.
- O. Park. (2012). A study on the analysis of culture of English as a global language: Focused on 5th and 6th grade elementary school English textbooks under the 7th revised national curriculum. Primary English learning. 18(1), 55-81.
- E. H. Yu. (2014). Recognition and Status of Early English Education in Seoul and Gyeonggi Province. 2014 National Audit Policy Data Sheet.
- H. J. Jun. (2001). English education for young children: a media discourse analysis. Early Childhood Education Research, 31, 351-37.
- M. H. Kim & Y. O. Yu. (2012). Actual Practices of Young Children's English Education Method and English Teacher in Kindergartens and Day care centers. The Journal of Child Education, 21, 153-168.
- J. Kim & J. Bae. (2007). A delohi study on elementary school English education for the 1st & 2nd graders. English Teaching. 62(4), 487-511. https://doi.org/10.15858/engtea.62.4.200712.487
- O. S. Yang, J. Y. Kim, H. H. Kim & Y. S. Kim. (2001). A Study on English Education in Private Kindergartens in Korea. Korean Journal of Child Study, 22(4), 299-314.
- C. G. Min. (2008). The Problems and Remedial Alternatives of English Immersion Education in Korea. Journal of the Korea English Education Society, 7(1), 109-123.
- M. S. Bae & H. A. Seo. (2001). Current Condition and Perspectives of Directors and Teachers toward Early English Education for Infants -Focusing on Busan Area-. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 1, 510-521. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.6.510 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.6.510
- S. M. Kim. (2003). A survey on the practices and directors' acknowledgment of English education at day care centers. Master dissertation. Sungshin Women's University, Seoul.
- H. J. Lee. (2003). Early English teaching in educare centers. Master dissertation. Chungbuk National University, Chungbuk.
- S. H. Jung. (2005). A study of English education in a preschool : its practice and awareness. Master dissertation. Dongguk University, Gyeongju.
- H. S. Cho & Y. S. Lee. (2004). A Comparative Research on Children's Metalinguistic Ability and English Learning Interest according to the Degree of English Learning Experience. Journal of Child Educare Research, 10, 123-136.
- J. E. Jeon. (2005). Difference in children English's affective characteristics by level of early childhood English experience. Master dissertation. Keimyung University, Daegu.
- H. S. Hwang. (2004). The Influence of Early English Education on Children's Bilingual Language Development. Korean journal of human ecology. 13(4), 497-506.
- M. J. Kim. (2012). The Effects of Attendance at English Medium Early Childhood Programs on the Development of Young Children's Sociolinguistic Competence in Classrooms. Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 16(5), 459-486.
- K. O. Lee, H. J. Jeon & H. W. Park. (2003). Cognitive Complexity and Control in the Cognitive Ability and Language Development of 3-to 5-Year-Old Korean-Chinese Bilingual Children. Korean journal of child studies, 24(6), 1-14.
- H. R. Lee & K. O. Lee. (2006). Relationship Between Bilingualism and Selective Attentional Ability in Young Children. Korean journal of child studies, 27(4), 55-64.
- H. R. Lee. (2002). A fact finding survey on background of early childhood English education and a analysis of motive for it. Master dissertation. Chung-ang University, Seoul.
- B. H. Douglas. (2000). Principle of language learning and teaching. Addition Wesley Longman, NY: Pearson learning.
- P. Anderson. (2002). Assessment and development of Executive function(EF) during childhood. Child Neuropsychology, 8(2), 71-82. DOI : 10.1076/chin.126.96.36.19924. https://doi.org/10.1076/chin.188.8.131.5224
- E. Bialystok. (1986). Factors in the growth of linguistic awareness. Child Development. 57, 498-510. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130604
- E. Bialystok. (1988). Level of bilingualism and levels of linguistic awareness, Developmental Psychology, 24, 560-567. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16184.108.40.2060
- E. Bialystok. (2001). Metalinguistic aspects of bilingual processing. Annual Review of Applied Linguistics, 21, 169-181. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0267190501000101
- J. Cummins. (1978). Linguistic interdependence and the learningal development of bilingual children. Review of learningal Research, 49, 222-251.
- H. J. Kim & S. O. Hong. (2011). A comparison of executive function between gifted and non-gifted young children. The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 16(3), 259-280.
- E. Bialystok. (1999). Cognitive complexity and attentional control in the bilingual mind. Child Development, 70(3), 636-644. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00046
- A. Miyake. (2001). Individual differences in working memory: introduction to the special section. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 130, 163-168. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-34220.127.116.11
- M. Daneman & P. A. Carperter. (1980). Individual differences in working memory and reading. Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior, 19, 540-466.
- N. Morris & D. M. Jones. (1990). Memory updating in working memory: The role of the central executive. British Journal of Psychology, 81, 111-121. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8295.1990.tb02349.x
- H. G. Kim. (2005). Kims Frontal Lobe-Management Neuropsychology for Children: A Commentary. Dae-gu. Book psychological psychology.
- J. R. Park & H. J. Song. (2009). The stidies on children;s executive function deficits: present conditions and derections for future research. Journal of Psychotherapy, 9(2), 95-112.
- M. D. Lezak. (1995). Neuropsychological assessment(3rd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- K. O. Lee & H. R. Lee. (2005). The relationship between bilingualism and metacognitive ability. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 18(2), 105-119.
- E. Bialystok. (1992). Attentional control in children's metalinguistic performance and measures of field independence. Developmental Psychology, 28(4), 654-665. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1684
- E. Bialystok & J. Codd. (1997). Cardinal limits : Evidence from language awareness and bilingualism for developing concepts of number. Cognitive Development, 12, 85-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-2014(97)90031-9
- E. Bialystok & S. Majumder. (1998). The relationship between bilingualism and the development of cognitive process in problem solving. Applied Psycholinguistics, 19, 69-85. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0142716400010584
- C. J. Gu & M. J. Lee. (2002). The Effects of Use of English Language Center in Times of Free Choice Activities on Kindergarteners' Understanding of English. Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, 9(1), 29-50.
- S. G. Ma & C. S. Oh. (2002). The effect of English education activities based on songs and picture books on preschoolers' vocabulary acquisition and story recall. Korean Journal of Child Care and Education, 30, 179-206.
- J. Y. Choe. (2001). The effect of the role play and game of communicative approach in terms of infants' English on the interest. The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 6(2), 41-68.
- H. J. Kim & S. O. Hong. (2011). The relationship between intelligence and executive function of young children. Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, 18(1), 99-116.
- H. W. Park, G. J. Kwak & G. B. Park. (1996). Korean Wexler Intelligence Test (K-WPPSI) guidelines. Seoul: Special Education.
- S. J. Galambos & S. Goldin-Meadow. (1990). The effects of learning two languages on level of metalinguistic awareness. Cognition, 34, 1-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-0277(90)90030-N
- N. H. Woo. (2007). The Relationship between Children's Emotional Intelligence and Playfulness. Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, 4(4), 453-474.
- B. M. Lee. (2018). A diagnosis and alternatives of early English education surrounding the abolition of afterschool English education programs at the lower grades of elementary school and preschools. Education Review, 41, 10-49.