- Volume 9 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Mather's Child Rearing Behavior on Aggression of Young Children: Mediating Effect of Self-Control
어머니의 양육행동이 유아의 공격성에 미치는 영향: 유아의 자기통제력의 매개효과
- Kang, Seung-Mi (Graduate School of Social Welfare Administration, Hansei University) ;
- Paik, Jina (Department of Social Welfare, Hansei University)
- Received : 2019.08.19
- Accepted : 2019.10.20
- Published : 2019.10.28
This study aims to explain the effect of mother's child rearing behavior on aggression of young children and to verify the mediating effect of self-control between two variables. For the purpose, 1,524 children who fit this study among children aged 5 through 7th year of the Korean Children's Panel were selected. The data were analyzed by using the hierarchical regression method and the Sobel test. The main findings are as follows. First, the mother's warmth of rearing behavior was shown to decrease aggression of children, while mother's control of rearing behavior had no influence their aggression. Second, It was shown that the self-control of young children had a negative effect on their aggression. Third, self-control was shown to have a partial mediating effect in the relationship between the mother's warmth of rearing behavior and aggression of children. Accordingly, various programs to reduce the aggression of young children were suggested and an alternative plan was proposed to be applied to child care sites.
- O. J. Jung, K. H. Lee & E. S. Lim. (2003). A Child's Growth and Development Seoul: Education Academy.
- M. Marion. (1994). Encouraging The Development of Responsible Anger Management in Young Children. Early Child Development and Care, 97, 155-163. https://doi.org/10.1080/0300443940970112
- E. J. Han & K. S. Choi. (2003). The Relationship of False Belief and Inhibitory Control Skill in 3-and 4-Year-Old Children. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 24(4), 15-27.
- L. Berkowitz. (1993). Aggression Its Cause, Consequences and Control . New York: Academic Press.
- N. R, Crick & J. K. Grotpeter. (1995). Relational Aggression, Gender, and Social-Psychological Adjustment. Child Development, 66(3), 710-722. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131945
- L. D. Eron. (1980). Prescription for Reduction of Aggression. American Psychologist, 35, 244-252. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.35.3.244
- R. E. Tremblay, D. S. Nagin, J. R. Seguin, M. Zoccolillo, P. D. Zelazo, M. Boivin, D. Perusse & C. Japel (2004). Physical Aggression during Early Childhood: Trajectories and Predictors. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 114(1), 43-50.
- K. Nomaguchi, W. Johnson, D. Minter & L. Aldrich. (2017). Clarifying The Association Between Mother-Father Relationship Aggression and Parenting. Journal of Marriage & Family, 79(1), 161-178. https://doi.org/10.1111/jomf.12354
- Z. SECER, H. GULAY OGELMAN, A. ONDER & S. BERENGJ. (2012). Analysing Mothers' Self-efficacy Perception towards Parenting in Relation to Peer Relationships of 5-6 year-old Preschool Children. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 12(3), 2001-2008.
- Y. Ozdemir, V. Alexander T & C. Figen. (2017). Parenting Processes, Self-esteem, and Aggression: A Mediation Model. European Journal of Developmental Psychology, 14(5), 509-532. https://doi.org/10.1080/17405629.2016.1240674
- M. Grace, T. Maloney & H. Patrick. (2019). The Influence of Parenting Practices and Neighborhood Characteristics on The Development of Childhood Aggression. Journal of Community Psychology, 47(1), 135-146. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.22105
- Y. H Kwon (2012). The Relationships between Maternal Parenting Bahaviors and Chidren's Aggressions: The Moderating Role of Teacher-Child Conflictual Relationship. Korean Association of Open Infant Education, 17(1), 1-19.
- Y. L. Sin, & Y, S, Kim (2018). Moderating Effects of Negative Emotionality on the Association Between Maternal Attitude Toward Children's Emotional Expression and Empathy Based on the Differential Susceptibility Model. Journal of Korean Child Care and Education, 14(6), 51-61.
- C. V. Aken, M. Junger, M. Verhoeven, M. M. AG. Van Aken & M. Dekovic. (2007). The Longitudinal Relations between Parenting and Toddler's Attention Problems and Aggressive Behavior. Infant Behavior & Development, 467, 1-15.
- E. N. Aron, A. Aron & J. Jagiellowicz. (2012). Sensory Processing Sensitivity: A Review in the Light of The Evolution of Biological Responsibility. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 16(3), 262-282. https://doi.org/10.1177/1088868311434213
- K. A. Dunfield & V. A. Kuhlmeier. (2013). Classifying Prosocial Behavior: Children's Response to Instrumental Need, Emotional Distress, and Material Desire. Child Development, 84(5), 1766-1776. https://doi.org/10.1111/cdev.12075
- D. A. Nleson, C. H. Hart, C. Yang, J. A. Olson & S. Jin. (2006). Aversive Parenting in China Associations with Child Physical and Relational Aggression. Child Development, 77(3), 554-572. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2006.00890.x
- J. F. Dileo, W. Brewer, E. Northam, M. Yucel & V. Anderson. (2017). Investigating The Neurodevelopmental Mediators of Aggression in Children with a history of Child Maltreatment: An Exploratory Field Study. Child Neuropsychology, 23(6), 655-677. https://doi.org/10.1080/09297049.2016.1186159
- J. Y. Kim & Y. K. Jung. (2007). Mediating Effect of Aggression on the Relationship between Parenting Practice and Violent Behaviors in Adolescent. Youth Studies, 14(5), 169-197.
- D. Olweus. (1991). Bullying at School: Basic Facts and an Effective Intervention Programme. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry & Allied Disciplines, 35(7), 1171-1190. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1994.tb01229.x
- S. J. Kim & I. J. Jung. (2016). The Structural Relationships among Parental Warmth/control, TV Viewing Time and Behavioral Problems in Preschoolers. Korea Institute of Child Care and Education, 10(2), 1-23.
- J. Mireille, V. Frank, D. Edward, C. Sylvana, N. Danie, Z. Mark & E. Richard. (2008). Controlling Parenting and Physical Aggression During Elementary School. Child Development, 79(2), 411-425. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2007.01133.x
- T. Villodas, M. Bagner, M. Daniel, Thompson & Richard. (2018). A Step Beyond Maternal Depression and Child Behavior Problems: The Role of Mother-Child Aggression. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 47(4), 634-641. https://doi.org/10.1080/15374416.2015.1094740
- K. Rubin, S. Stewart & X. Chen. (1995). Parents of Aggressive and Withdrawn Children. https://books.google.co.kr/books?hl=ko&lr=&id=PuDNMmug0AgC&oi=fnd&pg=PA383&dq=Parents+of+aggressive+and+withdrawn+children.&ots=rDB7kPaCZP&sig=NTWUYbzeL5Fg7PCSLQaUH-z5vIQ#v=onepage&q=Parents%20of%20aggressive%20and%20withdrawn%20children.&f=false.
- R. E. Tremblay (2000). The Development of Aggressive Behavior during Childhood: What have We Learned in the Past Century. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 24(2), 129-141. https://doi.org/10.1080/016502500383232
- L. Hao. Chiu, Ming. Ming. Cui & Yunhuo. Zhou Wenye & Li. Shunyu. (2018). Parenting Style and Aggression: A Meta-Analysis of Mainland Chinese Children and Youth. Children & Youth Services Review, 94, 446-455 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2018.07.033
- H. M. Shin & M. S. Yoo. (2015). Influence of Self Reflection on Children's Playfulness for Parents with Young Children: The Sequential Mediating Effect of Parental Role Satisfaction and Positive Parental Attitudes. Korean Journal of Play Therapy, 18(2), 115-132. https://doi.org/10.17641/KAPT.18.2.3
- J. H. Shin. (2009). The Moderating Effects of Self-Efficacy and Self-Control on the Relation between Aggression and School Adjustment in the Middle School Students. Department of Counseling Psychology Graduate School of Education Keimyung University.
- J. Y. Song. (2016). The Mediating Effects of Self-Control on the Relationships between Parent-Adolescent Communication and Aggression in the Middle School Students. Youth Studies, 23(7), 29-58.
- I. H. Im. (2018). The Moderating Effect of Self-control and Peer Conformity on Relation between Aggression and Delinquency-Focused on the Middle School Student in Jeju. Major in Psychotherapy Graduate School of Social Education Jeju National University.
- J. H. Park & H. N. Song. (2011). The Effects of A Self-Regulation Ability Improvement Program on Young Children's Cognitive and Emotional Self-Regulation Abilities and on Reduction in Aggression. Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, 31(1), 157-182. https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2011.31.1.008
- H. Orkibi & R. Tammie. (2019). A Dual-Pathway Model Linking Self-Control Skills to Aggression in Adolescents: Happiness and Time Perspective as Mediators. Journal of Happiness Studies, 20(3), 729-742. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-018-9967-1
- M. Y. Huh (2004). A Study for the Development and Validation of an Inventory for Parenting Behavior Perceived by Adolescents. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 12(2), 170-189. 1
- M. S. Kim. (2019). The Effects of Self-Differentiation of Mothers of Infants on Their Parenting Attitudes: Focusing on Mediating Effects of Parenting Efficacy. The Journal of Humanities and Social science, 10(3), 1291-1306.
- B. H. Cho, J. S. Lee, H. S. Lee & H. K. Kwon. (1999). Dimensions and Assessment of Korean Parenting Style. Family and Environment Research, 37(10), 123-133.
- R. C. Wasserman, C. M. DiBlasio, L. A. Bond, P. C. Young & R. B. Colletti. (1990). Infant Temperament and School Age Behavior: 6-year on Gitudinal study in a Pediatric Practice. Pediatrics, 85(5), 801-807.
- Y. A. Kim, J. Lee, S. J. Moon, Y. J. Kim & K. J. Oh. (2009). Standardization Study for the Korean Version of the Child Behavior Checklist for Ages 1.5-5. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 28(1), 117-136. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2009.28.1.007
- F. M. Gresham & S. N. Elliott. (1991). Social Skills Rating System, Circle Pines, M. N.: American Guidance Service.
- M. O. Suh. (2004). A Validation of the Korean Version of the Social Skill Rating System for Preschool Level (K-SSRS: Teacher and Parent Forms). International Journal of Early Childhood Education, 24(2), 223-242.
- B. W. Lim. K. H. Ju & Y. j. Son. (2015). Statistics Social Welfare: Apply for PASW(SPSS). Changjisa.
- R. M. Baron & D. A. Kenny. (1986). The Modertator-Mekiator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Srategic and Statistical Considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1177-87.
- E. J. Kwon. (2013). Effects of Art Therapy Program on the Emotional Intelligence and Aggressiveness of Preschoolers. Korea Welfare Practical Association, 4(1), 49-90.