- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Application of Physical Soil Washing Technology at Lead-contaminated Shooting Range in a Closed Military Shooting Range Area
폐 공용화기사격장 내 납오염 사격장 군부지의 물리적 토양세척정화기술 적용성 연구
- Jung, Jaeyun (Department of Environmental Engineering, Kwangwoon University) ;
- Jang, Yunyoung (Department of Environmental Engineering, Kwangwoon University)
- Received : 2019.09.02
- Accepted : 2019.09.26
- Published : 2019.10.31
Heavy metal contaminants in the shooting range are mostly present in a warhead circle or a metal fragment present as a particle, these fine metal particles are weathered for a long period of time is very likely that the surface is present as an oxide or carbon oxide. In particular, lead which is a representative contaminant in the shooting range soil, is present as more fine particles because it increases the softness and is stretched well. Therefore, by physical washing experiment, we conducted a degree analysis, concentration of heavy metals by cubic diameter, composition analysis of metallic substances, and assessment of applicability of gravity, magnetism and floating selection. The experimental results FESEM analysis and the measurement results lead to the micro-balance was confirmed thatthe weight goes outless than the soil ofthe same size in a thinly sliced and side-shaped structure according to the dull characteristics it was confirmed that the high specific gravity applicability. In addition, the remediation efficiency evaluation results using a hydrocyclone applied to this showed a cumulative remediation efficiency of 71%,twice 80%, 3 times 91%. On the other hand, magnetic sifting showed a low efficiency of 17%,floating selection -35mesh (0.5mm)target soil showed a relatively high efficiency to 39% -10mesh (2mm) efficiency was only 16%. The target treatment diameter of soil washing should be 2mm to 0.075mm, which is applied to the actual equipment by adding an additional input classification, which would require management as additional installation costs and processes are constructed. As a result, it is found that the soilremediation of shooting range can be separately according to the size of the warhead. The size is larger than the gravel diameter to most 5.56mm, so it is possible to select a specific gravity using a high gravity. However, the contaminants present in the metal fragments were found to be processed by separating using a hydrocyclone of the soil washing according to the weight is less than the soil of the same particle size in a thinly fragmented structure.
- Bradley D. 1965. The Hydrocyclone, Pergamon Press.
- Castlho LR, Medronho RA. 2000. A simple procedure for design and performance prediction of Bradley and Rietema Hydrocyclones, Minerals Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2: 183-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-6875(99)00164-8
- Chon CM, Park JS, Kim JG, Lee YS. 2010. Relationship between Physicochemical Properties, Heavy Metal Contents and Magnetic Susceptibility of Soils, J. Miner. Soc. Korea, 23(4): 281-295. [Korean Literature]
- Derek BP. 1981. Soil/Liquid Separation Techenology, Uplands Press LTD, 249-275: 606-610.
- Freeman HM, Harris EF. 1995. In situ Soil Flushing, Hazardous Waste Remediation : Innovative Treatment Technologies, Technomic Publishing Company: 131-138.
- Dermont G, Bergeron M, Mercier G, Richer-Lafleche M, 2008. Soil washing for metal : A review of physical/chemical technologies and field applications, J.Hazard. Mater. 152: 1-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.10.043
- Grasso D. 1993. Hazardous Waste Site Remediation, Lewis Publishers, USA.
- Hong ST. 2015. Investigation on the Relationship Between Gunfire Shot and Its Resulting Heavy Metal Pollution Rate, and the Study on Its Purification Method. [Korean Literature]
- Jang YY. 2006. A study on the contamination of Ammunition and Chemicals in the shooting range in the treatment of the waste Ammunition, The 8th Military Environmental Conservation Academic Conference: 11-48. [Korean Literature]
- Jang YY. 2002. Investigation of soil contamination at shooting range and Prevention of pollution spread. [Korean Literature]
- Jeon J. 2013. A study on fractionation and contamination of heavymetals in shooting range site. [Korean Literature]
- Rietema K. 1961. Performance and design of hydrocyclones-Part I-IV. Chemical Engineering Science. Vol. 15: 298-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(61)85033-1
- Tessier A, Campbell GC, Bisson M. 1979, Sequential Extraction Procedure for the Speciation of Particulate Trace Metals, Anal.Chem. Vol.51: 844-851. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac50043a017
- The Department of the Environment. 2007. Guideline for the Cleanup of Contaminated Soil. [Korean Literature]
- The Ministry of National Defense. 2017. Contamination of heavymetals in shooting range site Ac. (https://blog.naver.com/assembly923/221113126608). [Korean Literature]