- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Improvement of EIA Associated with Greenhouse Gases Subject Matter for the Preparedness of Post-2020
Post-2020에 연계한 온실가스 항목의 환경영향평가 개선 방안
- Hong, Sang-Pyo (Division of Human Environmental Design, Cheongju University)
- 홍상표 (청주대학교 휴먼환경디자인학부)
- Received : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.10.31
In orderto cope with the post-2020 in accordance with the Paris Agreement, greenhouse gas (GHG)reduction in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and its contributions to post-2020 were discussed. The 26 Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) administered by Geum-River Basin Environmental Office from 2010 to 2019 were analyzed for reviewing GHG mitigation measures. From the case study, it was found that the assessment of GHG emissions reduction and climate change adaptation were not appropriately performed. In this study, the following measures are proposed to improve the inappropriate assessment of 'GHG subject matter' associated with EIA according to post-2020, 1) allotment of enforced charge on GHG emission during the EIA process, 2) addition of the 'GHG subject matter' in 'establishing permissible discharge standards' which is based on "Act on the Integrated Control of Pollutant-discharging Facilities", and 3) the participation of stakeholders in early EIA stage for governance. Also the details on the EIA for the preparedness of post-2020 were discussed here.
Supported by : 청주대학교
- Alvaro E, Rosa MM, Ruben D-S. 2016. Consideration of Climate Change on Environmental Impact Assessment in Spain. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 57: 31-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2015.11.009
- GGIRC(Greenhouse Gas Inventory & Research Center of Korea). 2018. 2018 National Greenhouse Gas Inventory Report of Korea. 13-14. [Korean Literature]
- Hong SP. 2016. Implication Measures between Strategic Environmental Impact Assessment and Sustainable Development Indicators. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 25(1): 63-76. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2016.25.1.63
- Hwang SI, Park SH. 2010, Environmental Impact Assessment for Development Projects Considering Carbon Sink and Sequestration (I) - Focused on a Solar Power Plant Development Project. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 19(6): 625-631. [Korean Literature]
- IEMA. 2017. Environmental Impact Assessment Guide to: Assessing Greenhouse Gases Emissions and Evaluating their Significance.
- Kang EG, Kim YM, Moon NK. 2018. Environmental Improvement Effect and Social Benefit of Environmental Impact Assessment: Focusing on Thermal Power Plant. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 27(3): 322-333. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/EIA.2018.27.3.322
- Kim GH. 2016. Adoption of Paris Agreement and Responses of Korea. Science & Technology Policy. Science and Technology Policy Institute. 26(2): 21-26. [Korean Literature]
- Kim TH, Park SH, Hwang SI, Yang JH, Lee JY, Hwang JB. 2016. Strategic Environmental Impact Assessment Proposal in Consideration of the Complex Characteristics of the Soil. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 25(1): 51-62. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2016.25.1.51
- Lee BR, Kang WM, Kim CK, Kim GE, Lee CH. 2017. Estimating Carbon Uptake in Forest and Agricultural Ecosystems of Korea and other Countries Using Eddy Covariance Flux Data, Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 26(2): 127-139. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2017.26.2.127
- Lee MH, Han YH, Hyun KH, Lim SH. 2016. A Basic Study on the Features of LID-related Ordinance Enactment Conducted by Local Government. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 25(1): 25-40. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2016.25.1.25
- Lee SB, Chae EJ. 2015, A Study on Improving the Application of Ecosystem Conservation Fund in Environment Impact Assessment. Korea Environment Institute. [Korean Literature]
- Lee SD. 2018. Analysis of Biotope Area Ratio in the Environmental Impact Statements. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 27(4): 394-403 [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/EIA.2018.27.4.394
- Lee YS, Lee SH, Choi SK. 2018. Implementation Methods for Climate Change Impact Assessment. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 27(4): 345-352. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/EIA.2018.27.4.345
- Ministry of Environment. 2015. Guideline of Assessment for Greenhouse Gases Items in Environmental Impact Assessment etc. [Korean Literature]
- Murphy MC, Gillam KM. 2013. Greenhouse Gases and Climate in Environmental Impact Assessment - Practical Guidance. 'IAIA13 Conference Proceedings', 33rd Annual Meeting of the International Association for Impact Assessment.
- NLIC (National Law Information Center). 2019. Ministry of Government Legislation. [Korean Literature]
- Park IH, Ha SR. 2013. Landuse Change Prediction of Cheongju Using SLEUTH Model, Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 22(1): 109-116. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2013.22.1.109
- Park JH, Choi JG. 2018. A Study on the Improvement of the EIA Items and the Operating System Based on the Analysis of EIA Items Usage. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 27(1): 1-16. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2018.27.1.1
- Sutley NH. 2010. 'Draft NEPA guidance on consideration of the effects of climate change and greenhouse gas emissions', Memorandum for Heads of Federal Departments and Agencies, Council of Environmental Quality, Office of the President of the United States of America: 1-12.
- Woo JH, Choi KS. 2012. Estimation of GHG Emission and Potential Reduction on the Campus by LEAP Model. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 21(3): 409-415. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/EIA.2012.21.3.409
- Yeo IA, Hong SB, Park EJ. 2019. A Study on Development of Climate Change Adaptation in Ecosystem Sector-Focused on Policy and Research Base in Major Countries. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 28(1): 1-22. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/EIA.2019.28.1.1
- Yia JH, Hacking T. 2011. Incorporating Climate Change into Environmental Impact Assessment: Perspectives from Urban Development Projects in South Korea. Procedia Engineering. 21: 907-914. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.11.2093