- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Ecosystem Services Value Assessment According to City Development: In Case of the Busan Eco-Delta City Development
도시개발에 따른 생태계서비스 가치 평가 연구: 부산 에코델타시티 사업을 대상으로
- Choi, Jiyoung (Dept. of Environmental Science and Engineering, Ewha University) ;
- Lee, Youngsoo (Korea Environment Institute (KEI)) ;
- Lee, Sangdon (Dept. of Environmental Science and Engineering, Ewha University)
- Received : 2019.03.07
- Accepted : 2019.08.06
- Published : 2019.10.31
Natural environmental ecology ofthe environmental impact assessment(EIA)is very much lacking in quantitative evaluation. Thus, this study attempted to evaluate quantitative assessment for ecosystem service in the site of Eco-delta project in Busan. As a part of climate change adaptation, this study evaluated and compared with the value for carbon fixation and habitat quality using the InVEST model before and after development with three alternatives of land-use change. Carbon fixation showed 216,674.48 Mg of C (year 2000), and 203,474.25 Mg of C (year 2015)reducing about 6.1%, and in the future of year 2030 the value was dropped to 120,490.84 Mg of C which is 40% lower than year 2015. Alternative 3 of land use planning was the best in terms of carbon fixation showing 6,811.31 Mg of C. Habitat quality also changed from 0.57 (year 2000), 0.35 (year 2015), and 0.21 (year 2030) with continued degradation as development goes further. Alternative 3 also was the highest with 0.21(Alternative 1 : 0.20, Alternative 2 : 0.18). In conclusion,this study illustrated that quantitative method forland use change in the process of EIA can helpdecision making for stakeholders anddevelopers with serving the best scenario forlow impact of carbon. Also it can help better for land use plan, greenhouse gas and natural environmental assets in EIA. This study could be able to use in the environmental policy with numerical data of ecosystem and prediction. Supplemented with detailed analysis and accessibility of basic data, this method will make it possible for wide application in the ecosystem evaluation.
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 서울녹색환경지원센터
- Ahn SE, Han KJ. 2004. A Study on the Land Use Model for Carbon Fixation. 2004. Korea Environment Institute. 2004: 1-106. [Korean Literature]
- Bhagabati NK, Ricketts T, Sulistyawan TBS, Conte M, Ennaanay D, Hadian O, Wolny S. 2014. Ecosystem services reinforce Sumatran Tiger conservation in land use plans. Biological Conservation. 169: 147-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2013.11.010
- Charlotte B, Sylvain P, John DT. 2017. The inclusion of biodiversity in environmental impact assessment: Policy-related progress limited by gaps and semantic confusion. Journal of Environmental Management. 200(15): 35-45.
- Choi HA, Lee WK, Jeon SW, Kim JS, Kwak HB, Kim MI, Kim JT. 2014. Quantifying Climate Change Regulating Service of Forest Ecosystem -Focus on Quantifying Carbon Storage and Sequestration-. J. Climate Change Research. 5(1): 21-36. [Korean Literature]
- Choi JY, Lee SD. 2018. Evaluation of Ecosystem Service for Distribution of Korean fir using InVEST Model. J. Environ Impact Assess. 27(2): 181-193. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/EIA.2018.27.2.181
- Choi JY, Lee SD. 2019. Application of Habitat Evaluation Procedure with Quantifying the Eco-Corridor in the Process of Environmental Impact Assessment. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2016(16): 1437.
- Dohwa Engineering, Pyunghwa Engineering, Hando Engineering, Meitec Engineering. 2018. Environmental Impact Assessment for the Development Project of Eco Delta City in Busan. Busan metropolitan city, Korea water resources corporation, Busan metropolitan corporation. [Korean Literature]
- Duarte GT, Ribeiro MC, Paglia AP. 2016. Ecosystem Services Modeling as a Tool for Defining Priority Areas for Conservation. PLoS ONE 11(5): e0154573.https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0154573. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0154573
- Environmental Spatial Information Service. https://egis.me.go.kr/main.do [2018.11.01.].
- Gao J, Li F, Gao H, Zhou C, Zhang Xi. 2017. The impact of land-use change on waterrelated ecosystem services: a study of the Guishui River Basin, Beijing, China. J of Cleaner Production. 163(2017): 148-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.01.049
- Jang EK, Youn YC, Cha JH. 2012. Carbon Storage and GHG Substitution Effect of Domestic Wood Products. Forest Science Conference. 619-621. [Korean Literature]
Jeon EC, Sa JH, Lee SH, Kim CK. 2004. Development of Emission Factor of
$CO_2$from Stationary Sources. J. Atmospheric Environment. 1: 93-94. [Korean Literature]
- Jo HK, Ahn TW. 2000. Indicators of Carbon Storage and Uptake by Tree Growth in Natural Ecosystem. Korean Society of Environment and Ecology. 14(3): 175-182. [Korean Literature]
- Kim CG. 2012. Chapter 33 Climate change and countermeasures in the agricultural sector. Korea Rural Economic Institute. 2012(2): 1047-1074. [Korean Literature]
- Kim JS, Kim CK, Yoo KJ Hwang SI. 2017. A Preliminary Study for Identifying Soil Management Area in Environmental Impact Assessment on Development Project. J. Environ Impact Assess. 26(6): 457-469. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.14249/EIA.2017.26.6.457
- Kim ME. 2013. Opportunity costs of carbon offsets project to private forest owners in Korea. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. [Korean Literature]
- Kim TY, Song CH, Lee WK, Kim MI, Kim CH, Jeon SW, Kim JS. 2015. Habitat Quality Valuation Using InVEST Model in Jeju Island. J. Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology. 18(5): 1-11. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2015.18.5.1
- Kwun YH, Roh TH, Lee HW, Choung HL. 2006. A Study on the Introduction of Biological Diversity Items in Environmental Assessment. Korea Environment Institute. 2006(0): 1-173.
- Kyoto Protocol. 2003. UNEP (United Nations Environment Program), Korea Association for UN Environment.
- Lee HW, Kim CK, Hong HJ, Rog YH, Kang SI, Kim JH, Shin SC, Lee SJ. 2015. Development of Decision Supporting Framework to Enhance Natural Capital Sustainability: Focusing on Ecosystem Service Analysis. Korea Environment Institute. 2015(0): 3479-3651. [Korean Literature]
- Min KT. 2012. Chapter 29 Timber Supply and Demand Forecasts in Response to Climate Change. Korea Rural Economic Institute. 2012(2): 941-963. [Korean Literature]
- Natural Capital Project. https://naturalcapitalproject.stanford.edu/invest/ [2018.08.29.].
- Natural Capital Project. 2012. Informing Land-Use Plans in Central Sumatra. INVEST User Guide Release +VERSION.
- Nelson E, Mendoza G, Regetz J, Polasky S, Tallis H, Cameron D, Chan KM, Daily G, Goldstein J, Kareiva P, Lonsdorf E, Naidoo R, Ricketts TH, Shaw MR. 2009. Modeling multiple ecosystem services, biodiversity Conservation, Commodity Production, and Tradeoffs at landscape scales. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 7(1): 4-11. https://doi.org/10.1890/080023
- Nelson E, Sander H, Hawthorne P, Conte M, Ennaanay D, Wolny S, Manson S, Polasky S. 2010. Projecting Global Land-Use Change and Its Effect on Ecosystem Service Provision and Biodiversity with Simple Models. PLoS One. 5(12): e14327. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0014327
- Polasky S, Nelson E, Pennington D, Johnson KA. 2011. The Impact of Land-Use Change on Ecosystem Services, Biodiversity and Returns to Landowners: A Case Study in the State of Minnesota. Environmental and Resource Economics. 48(2): 219-242. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10640-010-9407-0
- Roh YH. 2016. Introduction to the Estimation of Carbon Storage and Space Distribution. Science and Technology Policy Institute. 26(5): 46-51. [Korean Literature]
- Seo SB. 2017. Analysis of Habitat Quality in the Nam-Han River Upstream Watershed using InVEST Model. Ewha Woman University. Seoul, Korea.
- Sharp R, Tallis HT, Ricketts T, Guerry AD, Wood SA, Chaplin-Kramer R, Nelson E, Wolny S, Olwero N, Vigerstol K, Pennington D, Mendoza G, Aukema J, Foster J, Forrest J, Cameron D, Arkema K, Lonsdorf E, Kennedy C, Verutes G, Kim CK, Guannel G, Papenfus M, Tofr J, Marsik M, Bernhardt J, Griffin R, Glowinski K, Chaumount N, Perelaman A, Lacayo M, Mandle L, Hamel P, Vogl AL, Rogers L, Bierbower W. 2015. InVEST User's Guide. Stanford University, University of Minnesota, The Nature Conservancy, World Wildlife Fund.
- Shoyama K, Yamagata Y. 2014. Predicting landuse change for biodiversity conservation and climate-change mitigation and its effect on ecosystem services in a watershed in Japan. J of Ecosystem Services. 8(2014): 25-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoser.2014.02.004
- Tao Y, Li F, Wang R, Zhao D. 2015. Effects of land use and cover change on terrestrial carbon stocks in urbanized areas: a study from Changzhou, China. J of Cleaner Production. 103(15): 651-657. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.07.055
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. http://unfccc.int/ [2018.09.20.].
- Yi H, Guneralp B, Kreuter UP, Guneralp I, Filippi AM. 2108. Spatial and temporal changes in biodiversity and ecosystem services in the San Antonio River Basin, Texas, from 1984 to 2010. J of Science of the Total Environment. 619-620(2018): 1259-1271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.10.302
- Youn YC, Cha JH. 2007. The Role of Forest and Measures of Gyeonggi Province to Cope with the UN Framework Convention of Climate Change. Gyeonggi Development Institute. 9(4): 117-140. [Korean Literature]