- Volume 3 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
An Optical Cavity Design for an Infrared Gas Detector Using an Off-axis Parabolic Mirror
- Jeong, You-Jin (Department of Nano-optical Engineering, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Kang, Dong-Hwa (Department of Nano-optical Engineering, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Seo, Jae-Yeong (Department of Nano-optical Engineering, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Jo, Ye-Ji (Department of Nano-optical Engineering, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Seo, Jin-Hee (Department of Nano-optical Engineering, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Choi, Hwan-Young (School of Mechatronics Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Jung, Mee-Suk (Department of Nano-optical Engineering, Korea Polytechnic University)
- Received : 2019.06.24
- Accepted : 2019.07.30
- Published : 2019.10.25
This study examined a method for designing the optical cavity of a non-dispersive infrared gas detector. The infrared gas detector requires an optical cavity design to lengthen the ray path. However, the optical cavity with multiple reflecting surfaces has off-axis aberration due to the characteristics of the reflecting optical system. The rays were parallelized by using the off-axis parabolic mirror to easily increase the ray path and eliminate off-axis aberration so that the rays are admitted to the effective area of the infrared detector uniformly. A prototype of an infrared gas detector was produced with the designed optical cavity to confirm the performance.
Off-axis parabolic mirror;Non-dispersive infrared;Gas detector
Supported by : Korea University of Technology and Education
- L. Jun, T. Quilin, Z. Wendong, X. Chenyang, G. Tao, and X. Jijun, "Miniature low-power IR monitor for methane detection," Measurement 44, 823-831 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2011.01.021
- G. Zhang, Y. Li, and Q. Li, "A miniaturized carbon dioxide gas sensor based on infrared absorption," Opt. Lasers Eng. 48, 1206-1212 (2012).
- J. Hodgkinson and R. P. Tatam, "Optical gas sensing: a review," Meas. Sci. Technol. 24, 012004 (2012).
- S. H. Yi, J. S. Park, and D. G. Lee, "The characteristics of concaved optical cavity structure with focusing effect of infrared light," in Proc. The Korean Institute of Gas Spring Conference (Ramada Plaza Jeju, Korea, Apr. 2009), pp. 190-194.
- D. S. Vlachos, P. D. Skafidas, and J. N. Avaritsiotis, "The effect of humidity on tin-oxide thick-film gas sensors in the presence of reducing and combustible gases," Sens. Actuators, B 25, 491-494 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1016/0925-4005(95)85105-4
- J. H. Kim and C.-J. Lee, "Three - harmful gas detection sensor module using non-dispersive infrared (NDIR) technology," J. Korean Inst. Commun. Inf. Sci. 42, 1591-1598 (2017).
- S. H. Yu, S. H. Yi, K. H. Kwon, and N. K. Min, "Design of novel optical cavity for NDIR gas sensor with high output power," in Proc. KIEE Conference (Yongpyong Resort, Korea, Jul. 2006), pp. 1641-1642.
- G. T. Park, "A study on the measurement accuracy improvement of a portable combustible gas detector using an infrared sensor," Ph. D. Thesis, University of Seoul, Seoul (2014), pp. 1-168.
- S. H. Yi and J. S. Park, "Speculation of optical cavity for improving optical gas sensor's characteristics," J. Korean Inst. Gas 12, 63-68 (2008).
- K. Laqua, B. Schrader, G. G. Hoffmann, D. S. Moore, and T. Vo-Dinh, "Nomenclature, symbols, units and their usage in spectrochemical analysis-XI. Detection of radiation (IUPAC Recommendations 1995)," Pure Appl. Chem. 67, 1745-1760 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1351/pac199567101745
- B. Wang and L. Gallais, "A theoretical investigation of the laser damage threshold of metal multi-dielectric mirrors for high power ultrashort applications," Opt. Express 21, 14698-14711 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.21.014698
- J. S. Park, H. C. Cho, and S. H. Yi, "Simulation of optical cavity for improving the light intensity," in Proc. The Korean Institute of Gas Spring Conference (Seoul Technopark in Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Korea, Apr. 2008), pp. 164-169.
- I. Sieber, H. Eggert, K.-H. Suphan, and O. Nuessen, "Optical modeling of the analytical chamber of an IR gas sensor," Proc. SPIE 4408, 272-282 (2001).