- Volume 4 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Strengthening of the panel zone in steel moment-resisting frames
- Abedini, Masoud (Smart and Sustainable Township Research Centre (SUTRA), Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia) ;
- Raman, Sudharshan N. (Smart and Sustainable Township Research Centre (SUTRA), Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia) ;
- Mutalib, Azrul A. (Smart and Sustainable Township Research Centre (SUTRA), Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia) ;
- Akhlaghi, Ebrahim (Department of Civil Engineering, Mahshahr Branch, Islamic Azad University)
- Received : 2018.02.10
- Accepted : 2019.04.17
- Published : 2019.10.25
Rehabilitation and retrofitting of structures designed in accordance to standard design codes is an essential practice in structural engineering and design. For steel structures, one of the challenges is to strengthen the panel zone as well as its analysis in moment-resisting frames. In this research, investigations were undertaken to analyze the influence of the panel zone in the response of structural frames through a computational approach using ETABS software. Moment-resisting frames of six stories were studied in supposition of real panel zone, different values of rigid zone factor, different thickness of double plates, and both double plates and rigid zone factor together. The frames were analyzed, designed and validated in accordance to Iranian steel building code. The results of drift values for six stories building models were plotted. After verifying and comparing the results, the findings showed that the rigidity lead to reduction in drifts of frames and also as a result, lower rigidity will be used for high rise building and higher rigidity will be used for low rise building. In frames with story drifts more than the permitted rate, where the frames are considered as the weaker panel zone area, the story drifts can be limited by strengthening the panel zone with double plates. It should be noted that higher thickness of double plates and higher rigidity of panel zone will result in enhancement of the non-linear deformation rates in beam elements. The resulting deformations of the panel zone due to this modification can have significant influence on the elastic and inelastic behavior of the frames.
Supported by : FRGS
- AISC (2005), "Seismic provisions for structural steel buildings", American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, Ill, USA.
- Abedini, M., Mutalib, A.A., Raman, S.N., Alipour, R. and Akhlaghi, E. (2019), "Pressure-impulse (P-I) diagrams for reinforced concrete (RC) structures: A Review", Archives Comput. Method Eng., 26(3), 733-767. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11831-018-9260-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11831-018-9260-9
- Abedini, M., Mutalib, A.A., Raman, S.N. and Akhlaghi, E. (2018), "Modeling the effects of high strain rate loading on RC columns using Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian (ALE) technique", Revista Internacional de Metodos Numéricos para Calculo y Diseno en Ingenieria, 34(1), 24. https://doi.org/10.23967/j.rimni.2017.12.001.
- Abedini, M., Mutalib, A.A. and Raman, S.N. (2017), "P-I diagram generation for reinforced concrete (RC) columns under high impulsive loads using ALE method", J. Asian Sci. Res., 7(7), 253-262.
- BHRC (2007), "Iranian Code of Practice for Seismic Resistant Design of Buildings, 3rd Edition, Standard No. 2800", BHRC Publication No. S - 465, Building and Housing Research Center, Iran.
- Castro, J.M., Elghazouli, A.Y. and Izzuddin, B.A. (2005), "Modelling of the panel zone in steel and composite moment frames", Eng. Struct., 27(1), 129-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.09.008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.09.008
- Chang, H.Y. and Lin, K.C. (2007), "Effects of panel zone modelling in seismic performance evaluation of steel moment-resisting frames", Proceedings of the 8th Pacific Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Singapore, December.
- Davila-Arbona, F.S. (2007), "Panel zone behaviour in steel moment resisting frames", M.Sc. Dissertation, European School for Advanced Studies in Reduction of Seismic Risk, ROSE School, Italy.
- FEMA-273 (1997), "NEHRP Guidelines for Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings. Building Seismic Safety Council", Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Washington, D.C., USA.
- FEMA-355D (2000), "State of the Art Report on Connection Performance", Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Washington, D.C., USA.
- Heidarpour, A. and Bradford, M.A. (2009), "Elastic behaviour of panel zone in steel moment resisting frames at elevated temperatures", J. Construct. Steel Res., 65(2), 489-496. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.02.010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.02.010
- Jin, J. and El-Tawil, S. (2005), "Evaluation of FEMA-350 seismic provisions for steel panel zones", J. Struct. Eng., 131(2), 250-258. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:2(250). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:2(250)
- Kazantzi, A., Vamvatsikos, D., and Lignos, D. (2014), "Seismic performance of a steel moment-resisting frame subject to strength and ductility uncertainty", Eng. Struct., 78, 69-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.06.044. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.06.044
- Kim, S.Y. and Lee, C.H. (2017), "Seismic retrofit of welded steel moment connections with highly composite floor slabs", J. Construct. Steel Res. 139, 62-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.09.010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.09.010
- Kim, K.D. and Engelhardt, M.D. (2002), "Monotonic and cyclic loading models for panel zones in steel moment frames", J. Construct. Steel Res., 58(5-8), 605-635. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00079-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00079-7
- Kosarieh, A. H., Danesh, F., and Shiri, R. (2015), "Column axial load effects on performance of panel zone in welded-flange-plate connections", Adv. Struct. Eng., 18(6), 775-789. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43126.96.36.1995. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43188.8.131.525
- Lee, C.H., Jeon, S.W., Kim, J.H. and Uang, C.H. (2005), "Effects of panel zone strength and beam web connection method on seismic performance of reduced beam section steel moment connections", J. Struct. Eng., 131(12), 1854-1865. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:12(1854). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:12(1854)
- Loulelis, D. G., Papagiannopoulos, G. A., and Beskos, D. E. (2017), "Seismic design of steel moment resisting frames: Modal strength reduction factors including strength deterioration and panel zone effects", ce/papers, 1(2-3), 3821-3830. https://doi.org/10.1002/cepa.438. https://doi.org/10.1002/cepa.438
- Mehrmashhadi, J., Tang, Y., Zhao, X., Xu, Z., Pan, J.J., Van Le, Q. and Bobaru, F. (2019), "The effect of solder joint microstructure on the drop test failure-A peridynamic analysis", IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, 9(1), 58-71. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCPMT.2018.2862898. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCPMT.2018.2862898
- Mirghaderi, R. and Moradi, M. (2006), "Seismic behavior of panel zones in beam to column connections with non-planner webs in moment resisting steel frames", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Taipei, Taiwan, 12-13 October.
- Mosallam, A., Zirakian, T. and Abdelaal, A. (2017), "Performance assessment of steel moment-resisting frame structures using fragility methodology", J. Struct. Eng., 144(3), https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001964.
- Mulas, M.G. (2004), "A structural model for panel zones in non linear seismic analysis of steel momentresisting frames", Eng. Struct., 26(3), 363-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.10.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.10.009
- Mutalib, A.A., Abedini, M., Baharom, S. and Hao, H. (2013), "Derivation of empirical formulae to predict pressure and impulsive asymptotes for P-I diagrams of one-way RC panels", J. Civil Environ. Eng., 7(8), 585-588.
- Steneker, P. and Wiebe, L. (2016), "Evaluation of the contribution of panel zones to the global performance of moment resisting frames under seismic load", Proceedings of the 2016 Annual Conference of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (CSCE) - Resilient Infrastructure, STR-833 1-10, London, United Kingdom, June.
- El-Tawil, S., Mikesell, T., Vidarsson, E. and Kunnath, S.K. (1998), "Strength and ductility of FR weldedbolted connections", SAC Steel Project Report, SAC/BD98/01; SAC, Redwood City, California, USA.
- Tena-Colunga, A. and Hernández-Ramirez, H. (2017), "Code-oriented global design parameters for momentresisting steel frames with metallic structural fuses", Frontiers Built Environ., 3(19), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.3389/fbuil.2017.00019.