- Volume 32 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Genetic diversity analysis of fourteen geese breeds based on microsatellite genotyping technique
- Moniem, Hebatallah Abdel (Animal wealth development department, Faculty of veterinary medicine, Suez Canal University) ;
- Zong, Yang Yao (Animal breeding and genetics department, Animal Science and Technology College, Yangzhou University) ;
- Abdallah, Alwasella (Agricultural Research Corporation) ;
- Chen, Guo-hong (Animal breeding and genetics department, Animal Science and Technology College, Yangzhou University)
- Received : 2018.08.06
- Accepted : 2018.11.28
- Published : 2019.11.01
Objective: This study aimed to measure genetic diversity and to determine the relationships among fourteen goose breeds. Methods: Microsatellite markers were isolated from the genomic DNA of geese based on previous literature. The DNA segments, including short tandem repeats, were tested for their diversity among fourteen populations of geese. The diversity was tested on both breeds and loci level and by mean of unweighted pair group method with arithmetic mean and structure program, phylogenetic tree and population structure were tested. Results: A total of 108 distinct alleles (1%) were observed across the fourteen breeds, with 36 out of the 108 alleles (33.2%) being unique to only one breed. Genetic parameters were measured per the 14 breeds and the 9 loci. Medium to high heterozygosity was reported with high effective numbers of alleles (Ne). Polymorphic information contents (PIC) of the screened loci was found to be highly polymorphic for eleven breeds; while 3 breeds were reported moderately polymorphic. Breeding coefficient (
- Zhu W, Chen K, Li H, et al. Two maternal origins of the Chinese domestic grey goose. J Anim Vet Adv 2010;9:2674-8. https://doi.org/10.3923/javaa.2010.2674.2678
- Ding N, Han Q, Li Q, et al. Comprehensive analysis of Sichuan white geese (Anser cygnoides) transcriptome. Anim Sci J 2014;85:650-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12197
- Xu GF, Chen KW. Photograph album of Chinese indigenous poultry breeds. Beijing, China: Chinese Agriculture Publisher;2004.
- Li HF, Chen KW, Yang N, Song WT, Tang QP. Evaluation of genetic diversity of Chinese native geese revealed by microsatellite markers. Worlds Poult Sci J 2007;63:381-90. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933907001511
- Tang Q, Zhang S, Guo J, Chen K, Lu H, Su J. Microsatellite DNA typing for assessment of genetic variability in Taihu goose: a major breed of China. J Anim Vet Adv 2009;8:2153-7.
- Gholizadeh M, Mianji GR. Use of microsatellite markers in poultry research. Int J Poult Sci 2007;6:145-53. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2007.145.153
- Chistiakov DA, Hellemans B, Volckaert FA. Microsatellites and their genomic distribution, evolution, function and applications: a review with special reference to fish genetics. Aquaculture 2006;255:1-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.11.031
- Wang ML, Barkley NA, Jenkins TM. Microsatellite markers in plants and insects. Part I: Applications of biotechnology. Genes Genomes Genomics 2009;3:54-67.
- Li J, Yuan Q, Shen J, et al. Evaluation of the genetic diversity and population structure of five indigenous and one introduced Chinese goose breeds using microsatellite markers. Can J Anim Sci 2012;92:417-23. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2011-125
- Chen KW, Song WT, Xu WJ, Zhu WQ, Li HF, Tang QP. Assessment of genetic diversity and genetic differentiation of chinese native goose using microsatellite markers. Chinese J Anim Vet Sci 2009;3:007.
- Liu S, Li P, Song Y, Li SZ, Wei CB, Yang HM. Analysis of genetic variations in different goose breeds using microsatellite markers. Yi Chuan 2006;28:1389-95.
- Tu Y, Chen K, Zhang S, Tang Q, Gao Y, Yang N. Genetic diversity of 14 indigenous grey goose breeds in China based on microsatellite markers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2006;19:1-6.
- Lai FY, Tu PA, Ding ST, et al. Survey of genetic structure of geese using novel microsatellite markers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2018;31:167-79. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0224
- Tu Y, Chen K, Tang Q, et al. Genetic diversity of 13 indigenous grey goose breeds in China based on microsatellite markers. Biodivers Sci 2006;14:152-8. https://doi.org/10.1360/biodiv.050214
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press; 1989.
- Park SDE. Trypanotolerance in West African cattle and the population genetic effects of selection [Ph D thesis]. Dublin, Ireland: University of Dublin 2001.
- Goudet J. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices 18.104.22.168. Lausanne, Switzerland: Institute of Ecology and Evolution, University of Lausanne; 2002.
- Pritchard JK, Stephens M, Donnelly P. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 2000;155:945-59.
- Evanno G, Regnaut S, Goudet J. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol Ecol 2005;14:2611-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-294X.2005.02553.x
- Ota T. DISPAN: genetic distance and phylogenetic analysis. University Park, PA, USA: Pennsylvania State University; 1993.
- Karlin S. Rates of approach to homozygosity for finite stochastic models with variable population size. Am Nat 1968;102:443-55. https://doi.org/10.1086/282557
- Murphy K. The bayes net toolbox for matlab. Comput Sci Stat 2001;33:1024-34.
- Nei M. Genetic distance between populations. Am Nat 1972;106:283-92. https://doi.org/10.1086/282771
- Ibeagha-Awemu E, Erhardt G. Genetic structure and differentiation of 12 African Bos indicus and Bos taurus cattle breeds, inferred from protein and microsatellite polymorphisms. J Anim Breed Genet 2005;122:12-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2004.00478.x
- Cathey J, DeWoody J, Smith L. Brief communication. Microsatellite markers in Canada geese (Branta canadensis). J Hered 1998;89:173-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jhered/89.2.173
- Gillespie JH. Population genetics: a concise guide. Baltimore, MD, USA: Johns Hopkins University Press; 2010.
- Wright S. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 1931; 16:97-159.
- Wright S. Evolution and the genetics of populations, volume 3: experimental results and evolutionary deductions. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press; 1984.
- Ramadan S, Kayang BB, Inoue E, et al. Evaluation of genetic diversity and conservation priorities for Egyptian chickens. Open J Anim Sci 2012;2:183-90. https://doi.org/10.4236/ojas.2012.23025
- Cornuet JM, Luikart G. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 1996;144:2001-14.
- Holsinger KE, Weir BS. Genetics in geographically structured populations: defining, estimating and interpreting FST. Nat Rev Genet 2009;10:639-50. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg2611