- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of waste cement bag fibers on the mechanical strength of concrete
- Marthong, Comingstarful (Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology Meghalaya)
- Received : 2018.12.04
- Accepted : 2019.08.13
- Published : 2019.06.25
Polypropylene (PP) fibers for making fabric which is used for packing cement have a high strength and high tear resistance. Due to these excellent properties the present study investigates the effect of PP fibers on the mechanical strength of concrete. Mechanical strength parameters such as compressive strength, splitting tensile strength and flexural strength are evaluated. Structural integrity of concrete using Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity (UPV) was also studied. Concrete containing PP fibers in percentage of 0%, 0.15%, 0.25%, 0.5% and 0.75% was developed with a characteristic compressive strength of 25 MPa. Concrete cubes, cylinder and prismatic specimens were cast and tested. It was found that the UPV values recorded for all specimens were of the similar order. Test results indicated the used of PP fibers can significantly improve the flexural and splitting tensile strengths of concrete materials whereas it resulted a decreased in compressive strength. The relative increase in split tensile and flexural strength was optimum at a fiber dosage of 0.5% and a mild decreased were observed in 28 days compressive strength. The findings in this paper suggested that PP fibers deriving from these waste cement bags are a feasible fiber option for fiber-reinforced concrete productions.
polypropylene fiber;waste cement bag;concrete properties;mechanical strength
- Al-Rousan, R.Z, Alhassan, M.A. and Al-Salman, H. (2017), "Impact resistance of polypropylene fiber reinforced concrete two-way slabs", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 62(3), 373-380. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2017.62.3.373 https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2017.62.3.373
- Aslani, F. and Samali, B. (2014), "Flexural toughness characteristics of self-compacting concrete incorporating steel and polypropylene fibres", Austral. J. Struct. Eng., 14(3), 269-286.
- Dodson, V. (1989), "Concrete and Mixtures", Van Nostrand Reinhold: Structural Engineering Series, New York, USA.
- Donkor, P. and Obonyo, E. (2015), "Earthen construction materials: Assessing the feasibility of improving strength and deformability of compressed earth blocks using polypropylene fibers", Mater. Des., 83, 813-819. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2015.06.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2015.06.017
- Ganesan, N., Indira, P.V. and Seena, P. (2014), "High performance fibre reinforced cement concrete slender structural walls", Adv. Concrete Constr., Int. J., 2(4), 309-324. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.4.309 https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.4.309
- Huang, L., Xu, L., Chi, Y. and Xu, L. (2015), "Experimental investigation on the seismic performance of steel-polypropylene hybrid fiber reinforced concrete columns", Constr. Build. Mater., 87, 16-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.03.073 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.03.073
- IS 11652 (2000), Textiles- woven sacks for packing cement- high density polyethylene (HDPE)/polypropylene (PP)- specification, Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 10262 (2009), Guidelines for concrete mix design proportioning (CED 2: Cement and Concrete), Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 1199 (1959), Methods of sampling and analysis of concrete, Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 12269 (1987), Specification for OPC-53 grade cement, Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 13311 (1992), Method of Non-destructive testing of concrete, Part 1: Ultrasonic pulse velocity, Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 2386 (1963a), Methods of test for aggregates for concrete - Part 1: Particle size and shape, Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 2386 (1963b), Methods of Test for aggregates for concrete - Part 3: Specific gravity, Density, Voids, Absorption and Bulking, Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 456 (2000), Plain and reinforced concrete code of practice, Bureau Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 516 (1959), Method of Tests for Strength of Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 5816 (1999), Method of Test Splitting Tensile Strength, Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- Jun, J.L., Niu, J.G., Wana, C.J., Jin, B. and Yin, Y.L. (2016), "Investigation on mechanical properties and microstructure of high performance polypropylene fiber reinforced lightweight aggregate concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 118, 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.03.073 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.04.116
- Kakooei, S., Md Akil, H., Jamshidi, M. and Rouhi, J. (2012), "The effects of polypropylene fibers on the properties of reinforced concrete structures", Constr. Build. Mater., 27, 73-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.08.015
- Khelifa, M.R., Leklou, N., Bellal, T., Hebert, R.L. and Ledesert, B.A. (2016), "Is alfa a vegetal fiber suitable for making green reinforced structure concrete?", Eur. J. Environ. Civil Eng., 22(6), 686-706. https://doi.org/10.1080/19648189.2016.1217792
- Lee, G., Han, D., Han, M., Han, C. and Son, H. (2012), "Combining polypropylene and nylon fibers to optimize fiber addition for spalling protection of high-strength concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 34, 313-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.02.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.02.015
- Lopez-Buendia, A.M., Romero-Sanchez, M.D., Climent, V. and Guillem, C. (2013), "Surface treated polypropylene (PP) fibers for reinforced concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 54, 29-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2013.08.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2013.08.004
- Mazaheripour, H., Ghanbarpour, S., Mirmoradi, S.H. and Hosseinpour, I. (2011), "The effect of polypropylene fibers on the properties of fresh and hardened lightweight self compacting concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 25, 351-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.018
- Medina, N.F., Barluenga, G. and Hernandez-Olivares, F. (2015), "Combined effect of Polypropylene fibers and Silica Fume to improve the durability of concrete with natural Pozzolans blended cement", Constr. Build. Mater., 96, 556-566. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.08.050 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.08.050
- Sahoo, D.R., Maran, K. and Kumar, A. (2015), "Effect of steel and synthetic fibers on shear strength of RC beams without shear stirrups", Constr. Build. Mater., 83, 150-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.03.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.03.010
- Shannag, M.J. and Ziyyad, T.B. (2007), "Flexural response of ferrocement with fibrous cementitious Matrices", Constr. Build. Mater., 21, 1198-1205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.06.021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.06.021
- Shihada, S. (2011), "Effect of polypropylene fibers on concrete fire resistance", Eur. J. Environ. Civil Eng., 17(2), 259-264.
- Zhang, S and Zhao, B. (2012), "Influence of polypropylene fibre on the mechanical performance and durability of concrete materials", Eur. J. Environ. Civil Eng., 16(10), 1269-1277. https://doi.org/10.1080/19648189.2012.709681 https://doi.org/10.1080/19648189.2012.709681