- Volume 51 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Measurement of local wall temperature and heat flux using the two-thermocouple method for a heat transfer tube
- Ahn, Taehwan (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kang, Jinhoon (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Jeong, Jae Jun (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Yun, Byongjo (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University)
- 투고 : 2018.12.11
- 심사 : 2019.05.05
- 발행 : 2019.10.25
The two-thermocouple method was investigated experimentally to evaluate its accuracy for the measurement of local wall temperature and heat flux on a heat transfer tube with an electric heater rod installed in an annulus channel. This work revealed that a thermocouple flush-mounted in a surface groove serves as a good reference method for the accurate measurement of the wall temperature, whereas two thermocouples installed at different depths in the tube wall yield large bias errors in the calculation of local heat flux and wall temperature. These errors result from conductive and convective changes due to the fin effect of the thermocouple sheath. To eliminate the bias errors, we proposed a calibration method based on both the local heat flux and Reynolds number of the cooling water. The calibration method was validated with the measurement of local heat flux and wall temperature against experimental data obtained for single-phase convection and two-phase condensation flows inside the tube. In the manuscript, Section 1 introduces the importance of local heat flux and wall temperature measurement, Section 2 explains the experimental setup, and Section 3 provides the measured data, causes of measurement errors, and the developed calibration method.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Pusan National University
- H.J. Kahn, U.S. Rohatgi, Performance characterization of isolation condenser of SBWR, No. BNL-NUREG-47960; CONF-921102-25, Brookhaven National Lab., Upton, NY (United States), 1992.
- M.D. Carelli, et al., The design and safety features of the IRIS reactor, Nucl. Eng. Des. 230 (1-3) (2004) 151-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2003.11.022
- Y. Chung, H. Kim, B. Chung, M. Chung, S. Zee, Two phase natural circulation and the heat transfer in the passive residual heat removal system of an integral type reactor, Ann. Nucl. Eng. 33 (3) (2006) 262-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2005.09.009
- P. Masoni, G. Bianchini, P.F. Billig, J.R. Fitch, S. Botti, G. Cattadori, R. Silverii, Tests on full-scale prototypical passive containment condenser for SBWR's application, Proc. of ICONE- 32 (1995) 1023.
- A. Schaffrath, E.F. Hicken, H. Jaegers, H.M. Prasser, Operation conditions of the emergency condenser of the SWR1000, Nucl. Eng. Des. 188 (3) (1999) 303-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(99)00044-8
- Y. Cho, S. Bae, B. Bae, S. Kim, K. Kang, B. Yun, Analytical studies of the heat removal capability of a passive auxiliary feedwater system (PAFS), Nucl. Eng. Des. 248 (2012) 306-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2012.03.046
- K. Vierow, Behavior of Steam-Air Systems Condensing in Cocurrent Vertical Downflow, MS Thesis, Univ. of California, Berkeley, 1990.
- M. Siddique, M.W. Golay, M.S. Kazimi, Local heat transfer coefficients for forced-convection condensation of steam in a vertical tube in the presence of a noncondensable gas, Nucl. Technol. 102 (3) (1993) 386-402. https://doi.org/10.13182/NT93-A17037
- H. Akaki, Y. Kataoka, M. Murase, Measurement of condensation heat transfer coefficient inside a vertical tube in the presence of noncondensable gas, J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 32 (6) (1995) 517-526. https://doi.org/10.1080/18811248.1995.9731739
- S.Z. Kuhn, V.E. Schrock, P.F. Peterson, An investigation of condensation from steam-gas mixtures flowing downward inside a vertical tube, Nucl. Eng. Des. 177 (1) (1997) 53-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(97)00185-4
- S. Oh, S.T. Revankar, Effect of noncondensable gas in a vertical tube condenser, Nucl. Eng. Des. 235 (16) (2005) 1699-1712. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2005.01.010
- K. Lee, M. Kim, Experimental and empirical study of steam condensation heat transfer with a noncondensable gas in a small-diameter vertical tube, Nucl. Eng. Des. 238 (1) (2008) 207-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2007.07.001
- A. Schaffrath, E.F. Hicken, H. Jaegers, H.M. Prasser, Experimental and analytical investigation of the operation mode of the emergency condenser of the SWR1000, Nucl. Technol. 126 (2) (1999) 123-142. https://doi.org/10.13182/NT99-A2962
- T. Wu, K. Vierow, Local heat transfer measurements of steam/air mixtures in horizontal condenser tubes, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 49 (15) (2006) 2491-2501. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2006.01.025
- S. Kim, B. Bae, Y. Cho, Y. Park, K. Kang, B. Yun, An experimental study on the validation of cooling capability for the Passive Auxiliary Feedwater System (PAFS) condensation heat exchanger, Nucl. Eng. Des. 260 (2013) 54-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2013.03.016
- T. Ahn, Experiment and Modeling on In-Tube Condensation Heat Transfer with the Presence of Non-condensable Gas in a Nearly-Horizontal Tube, PhD thesis, Pusan Natl. Univ, Busan, Republic of Korea, 2018.
- C. Shin, H. No, B. Yun, B. Jeon, The experimental investigation of tube's diameter and inclination angle in a separate effect PAFS test facility for APR+, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 86 (2015) 914-922. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.02.076
- M.H. Anderson, L.E. Herranz, M.L. Corradini, Experimental analysis of heat transfer within the AP600 containment under postulated accident conditions, Nucl. Eng. Des. 185 (2-3) (1998) 153-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(98)00232-5
- T. Ahn, Calibration Methodology for the Measurement of Local Wall Heat Flux and Wall Temperature of an Inclined Condensation Tube, NSTAR-17NS22-15, Republic of Korea, 2017.
- V. Gnielinski, Heat transfer coefficients for turbulent flow in concentric annular ducts, Heat Transf. Eng. 30 (6) (2009) 431-436. https://doi.org/10.1080/01457630802528661