- Volume 51 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Reprocessing of simulated voloxidized uranium-oxide SNF in the CARBEX process
- Boyarintsev, Alexander V. (Dmitry Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia) ;
- Stepanov, Sergei I. (Dmitry Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia) ;
- Kostikova, Galina V. (A.N. Frumkin Institute of Physical Chemistry and Electrochemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences) ;
- Zhilov, Valeriy I. (A.N. Frumkin Institute of Physical Chemistry and Electrochemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences) ;
- Chekmarev, Alexander M. (Dmitry Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia) ;
- Tsivadze, Aslan Yu. (A.N. Frumkin Institute of Physical Chemistry and Electrochemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences)
- Received : 2019.03.08
- Accepted : 2019.05.22
- Published : 2019.10.25
The concept of a new method, the CARBEX (CARBonate EXtraction) process, was proposed for reprocessing of spent uranium oxide fuel. The proposed process is based on use of water solutions of
Supported by : Dmitry Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia
- S.I. Stepanov, A.M. Chekmarev, Concept of spent nuclear fuel reprocessing, Dokl. Chem. 423 (1) (2008) 276-278. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0012500808110037
- H. Tomiyasu, Y. Asano, Environmentally acceptable nuclear fuel cycle development of a new reprocessing system, Prog. Nucl. Energy 32 (1998) 421-427. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-1970(97)00037-1
- N. Asanuma, Y. Asano, H. Tomiyasu, Concept of a new nuclear fuel reprocessing in non-acidic aqueous solutions, in: The 5th International Conference on Recycling, Conditioning and Disposal, Proceedings, Paris, France, October 25-28, 1998.
- N. Asanuma, M. Harada, Y. Ikeda, H. Tomiyasu, New approach to the nuclear fuel reprocessing in non-acidic aqueous solutions, J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 38 (10) (2001) 866-871. https://doi.org/10.1080/18811248.2001.9715107
N. Asanuma, M. Harada, M. Nogami, K. Suzuki, T. Kikuchi, H. Tomiyasu, Y. Ikeda, Anodic dissolution of
$UO_2$pellet containing simulated fission products in ammonium carbonate solution, J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 43 (3) (2006) 255-262. https://doi.org/10.1080/18811248.2006.9711087
S.M. Peper, L.F. Brodnax, S.E. Field, R.A. Zehnder, S.N. Valdez, W.H, Runde Kinetic study of the oxidative dissolution of
$UO_2$in aqueous carbonate media, J. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 43 (2004) 8188-8193. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie049457y
G.S. Goff, F.L. Taw, S.M. Peper, L.F. Brodnax, S.E. Field, W.H. Runde, Separation of uranium from fission products in spent nuclear fuel using aqueous
$H_2O_2$-carbonate solutions, in: AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco, United States, November 12-17, 2006.
- G.S. Goff, L.F. Brodnax, M.R. Cisneros, K.S. Williamson, F.L. Taw, I. May, Development of a novel alkaline based process for spent nuclear fuel recycling, in: AIChE Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, United States, November 4-9, 2007.
- G.S. Goff, L.F. Brodnax, M.R. Cisneros, W.H. Runde, Redox chemistry of actinides in peroxide-carbonate media: applications to developing a novel process for spent nuclear fuel reprocessing, in: AIChE Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, United States, November 4-9, 2007.
- K.W. Kim, Y.H. Kim, S.M. Kim, H.S. Seo, D.Y. Chung, H.B. Yang, J.K. Lim, K.S. Joe, E.H. Lee, A study on a process for recovery of uranium alone from spent nuclear fuel in a high alkaline carbonate media, in: Seventh International Conference on Nuclear and Radiochemistry, Budapest, Hungary, 2008, pp. 24-29. August.
- S.I. Stepanov, A.M. Chekmarev, Extraction of Rare Metals by the Salts of Quaternary Ammonium Bases, IzdAT, Moscow, Russia, 2004.
- M.M. Metalidi, S.V. Shapovalov, R.V. Ismailov, M.I. Skriplev, V.I. Beznosyuk, Y.S. Fedorov, Thermochemical embrittlement of the zirconium cladding of a fuel rod and oxidative recrystallization of the fuel material in the course of spent nuclear fuel reprocessing, Radiochemistry 57 (1) (2015) 98-102. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1066362215010154
- P.M. Gavrilov, E.G. Kudryavtsev, Y.A. Revenko, V.V. Bondin, Y.S. Fedorov, A.V. Khaperskaya, O.P. Anisimov, B.Y. Zilberman, Full inspection of SNF reprocessing technology for ODC at FSUE GCC in hot cells, in: 7th Russian Conference on Radiochemistry, Dimitrovgrad, Russia, 15-19 October, 2012.
- S.I. Stepanov, A.V. Boyarintsev, A.M. Chekmarev, Physicochemical foundations of spent nuclear fuel leaching in carbonate solution, Dokl. Chem. 427 (2) (2009) 202-206. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0012500809080060
- S.I. Stepanov, A.V. Boyarintsev, M.V. Vazhenkov, B.F. Myasoedov, E.O. Nazarov, A.M. Safiulina, I.G. Tananaev, H.V. So, A.M. Chekmarev, A.Yu Civadze, CARBEX Process, A new technology of reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel, Russ. J. Gen. Chem. 81 (9) (2011) 1949-1959. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1070363211090404
- C.Z. Soderquist, B.K. McNamara, B.М. Oliver, Dissolution of uranium metal without hydride formation or hydrogen gas generation, J. Nucl. Mater. 378 (3) (2008) 299-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2008.05.014
- S.C. Smith, S.M. Peper, M. Douglas, K.L. Ziegelgruber, E.C. Finn, Dissolution of uranium oxides under alkaline oxidizing conditions, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. 282 (2009) 617-621. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10967-009-0182-8
- K.W. Kim, J.T. Hyun, E.H. Lee, G.I. Park, K.W. Lee, M.J. Yoo, K.C. Song, J.K. Moon, Dissolution of uranium oxides under alkaline oxidizing conditions nuclear fuel scrap using dissolution and precipitation in carbonate media, J. Nucl. Mater. 418 (2011) 93-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2011.06.019
D.Y. Chung, H.S. Seo, J.W. Lee, H.B. Yang, E.H. Lee, K.W. Kim, Oxidative leaching of uranium from SIMFUEL using
$Na_2CO_3-H_2O_2$solution, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. 284 (2010) 123-129. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10967-009-0443-6
- G.S. Goff, K.M. Long, S.D. Reilly, G.D. Jarvinen, W.H. Runde, Americium/Lanthanide separation in alkaline solution for advanced nuclear fuel cycles, in: 36th Actinide Separations Conference, Chattanooga, United States, 2012, 21-24 May.
C.Z. Soderquist, A.M. Johsen, B.K. McNamara, B.D. Hanson, J.W. Chenault, K.J. Carson, S.M. Peper, Dissolution of irradiated commercial
$UO_2$fuels in ammonium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide, J. Ind Eng Chem Res. 50 (2011) 1813-1818. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie101386n
- S.I. Stepanov, A.V. Boyarincev, A.A. Chehlov, A.M. Chekmarev, A.Yu Tsivadze, Chemistry of the CARBEX Process. Identification of the absorption bands of the ligands in the electronic spectra of U(VI) extracts with methyltrioctylammonium carbonate, Dokl. Chem. 473 (1) (2017) 63-66. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0012500817030065
- G. Hongcheng, Z. Maoliang, P. Qixiu, P. Lie, W. Wenqing, The extraction of uranium from carbonate solutions by trialkyl-methyl ammonium chloride, He Hua Xue Yu Fang She Hua Xue 3 (2) (1981) 88-96.
P.L. Zanonato, Z. Szabo, V. Vallet, P.D. Bernardoa, I. Grenthe, Alkali-metal ion coordination in uranyl(VI) poly-peroxo complexes in solution, inorganic analogues to crown-ethers. Part 2. Complex formation in the tetramethyl ammonium-,
$Li^+-,\;Na^+-$and $K^+$-uranyl(VI)-peroxide-carbonate systems, J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans. 44 (2015) 16565-16572. https://doi.org/10.1039/C5DT01710F
- P.L. Zanonato, P.D. Bernardoa, I. Grenthe, Chemical equilibria in the binary and ternary uranyl(VI)-hydroxide-peroxide systems, J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans. 41 (2012) 3380-3386. https://doi.org/10.1039/C1DT11276G
- M. Nogami, S.Y. Kim, N. Asanuma, Y. Ikeda, Adsorption behavior of amidoxime resin for separating actinide elements from aqueous carbonate solutions, J. Alloy. Comp. 374 (2004) 269-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2003.11.099
H.B. Pan, W. Liao, C.M. Wai, Y. Oyola, C.J. Janke, G. Tianc, L. Raoc, Carbonate-
$H_2O_2$leaching for sequestering uranium from seawater, J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans. 43 (2014) 10713-10718. https://doi.org/10.1039/C3DT53404A
- K.W. Kim, Y.H. Kim, S.Y. Lee, J.W. Lee, K.S. Joe, E.H. Lee, J.S. Kim, K. Song, K.C. Song, Precipitation characteristics of uranyl ions at different pHs depending on the presence of carbonate ions and hydrogen peroxide, Environ. Sci. Technol. 43 (7) (2009) 2355-2361. https://doi.org/10.1021/es802951b
- E.H. Lee, H.B. Yang, K.Y. Lee, K.W. Kim, D.Y. Chung, J.K. Moon, Removal of uranium by an alkalization and an acidification from the thermal decomposed solid waste of uranium-bearing sludge, J. Korean Radioact. Waste Soc. 11 (2) (2013) 85-93. https://doi.org/10.7733/jkrws.2013.11.2.85
- K.W. Kim, J.T. Hyun, K.Y. Lee, E.H. Lee, K.W. Lee, K.C. Song, J.K. Moon, Effects of the different conditions of uranyl and hydrogen peroxide solutions on the behavior of the uranium peroxide precipitation, J. Hazard Mater. 193 (2011) 52-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.07.032
- K.W. Kim, Y.H. Kim, E.H. Lee, K. Song, K.C. Song, Study on electrolytic recoveries of carbonate salt and uranium from a uranyl peroxy carbonato complex solution generated from a carbonate-leaching process, J. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 49 (2009) 2085-2092.
- K.W. Kim, Y.H. Kim, S.Y. Lee, E.H. Lee, K. Song, K.C. Song, Continuous electrolytic decarbonation and recovery of a carbonate salt solution from a metal-contaminated carbonate solution, J. Hazard Mater. 171 (2009) 606-612. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.06.043
- Certificate of authorship USSR N 664355 (1979) S.I. Stepanov, Y.A. Leikin, V.D. Gorchakov, V.V. Sergievsky, G.A. Yagodin, V.N. Andrievsky, The method of obtaining salts or hydroxides of Quaternary ammonium bases.
- S.I. Stepanov, A.V. Boyarintsev, A.M. Chekmarev, Oxidative leaching of uranium(IV) in carbonate systems, in: Uranium of Russia, Proceedings of Scientific and Technical Conference, Moscow, Russia, 20-21 November, 2007.