- Volume 51 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Analysis of multiple spurious operation scenarios of Korean PHWRs using guidelines of nuclear power plants in U.S.
- Kim, Jaehwan (STANDARD Testing & Engineering Incorporated) ;
- Jin, Sukyeong (STANDARD Testing & Engineering Incorporated) ;
- Kim, Seongchan (STANDARD Testing & Engineering Incorporated) ;
- Bae, Yeonkyoung (Fire Safety Group, Nuclear System Safety Lab., Central Research Institute, Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power Co.,Ltd)
- Received : 2018.10.12
- Accepted : 2019.05.26
- Published : 2019.10.25
Multiple spurious operations (MSOs) mean multiple fire induced circuit faults causing an undesired operation of one or more systems or components. The Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI) of the United States published NEI 00-01 as guidelines for solving MSOs. And this guideline includes MSO scenarios of pressurized water reactor (PWR) and boiling water reactor (BWR). Nuclear power plant operators in U.S. analyzed MSOs under MSO scenarios included in NEI 00-01 and operators of PWRs in Korea also analyzed MSOs under the scenarios of NEI 00-01. As there are no pressurized heavy water reactors (PHWRs) in the United States, MSO scenarios of PHWRs are not included in the NEI 00-01 and any feasible scenarios have not been developed. This paper developed MSO scenarios which can be applied to PHWRs by reviewing the 63 MSO scenarios included in NEI 00-01. This study found that seven scenarios out of the 63 MSO scenarios can be applied and three more scenarios need to be developed.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- Notice No. 2015-11 of the Nuclear Safety and Security Commission, Technical Regulations Related to Fire Risk Analyses, Nuclear Safety and Security Commission, 2015.
- CAN/CSA-N293-12, Fire Protection for Nuclear Power Plants, CSA Standards, 2012.
- NEI 00-01(rev.3), Guidance for Post Fire Safe Shutdown Circuit Analysis, Nuclear Energy Institute, 2011.
- Regulatory Guide 1.189(rev.2), Fire Protection for Nuclear Power Plants, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, 2009.
- Wolsong Fire Hazard Analysis, Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power, 2011.
- Y.S. Lee, H.S. Lim, I.H. Kim, Analysis of PHT pump seal leakage in CANDU reactors due to fire-induced multiple spurious operation, in: Transactions of the Korean Nuclear Society Autumn Meeting, 2018.
- Y.S. Lee, Y.K. Bae, M.S. Kim, Analysis of multiple spurious operation scenarios for decay heat removal function of CANDU reactors, in: Transactions of the Korean Nuclear Society Autumn Meeting, 2016.