- Volume 51 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The simulation study on natural circulation operating characteristics of FNPP in inclined condition
- Li, Ren (Fundamental Science on Nuclear Safety and Simulation Technology Laboratory, Harbin Engineering University) ;
- Xia, Genglei (Fundamental Science on Nuclear Safety and Simulation Technology Laboratory, Harbin Engineering University) ;
- Peng, Minjun (Fundamental Science on Nuclear Safety and Simulation Technology Laboratory, Harbin Engineering University) ;
- Sun, Lin (Fundamental Science on Nuclear Safety and Simulation Technology Laboratory, Harbin Engineering University)
- Received : 2019.01.22
- Accepted : 2019.05.25
- Published : 2019.10.25
Previous research has shown that the inclined condition has an impact on the natural circulation (natural circulation) mode operation of Floating Nuclear Power Plant (FNPP) mounted on the movable marine platform. Due to its compact structure, small volume, strong maneuverability, the Integral Pressurized Water Reactor (IPWR) is adopted as marine reactor in general. The OTSGs of IPWR are symmetrically arranged in the annular region between the reactor vessel and core support barrel in this paper. Therefore, many parallel natural circulation loops are built between the core and the OTSGs primary side when the main pump is stopped. and the inclined condition would lead to discrepancies of the natural circulation drive head among the OTSGs in different locations. In addition, the flow rate and temperature nonuniform distribution of the core caused by inclined condition are coupled with the thermal hydraulics parameters maldistribution caused by OTSG group operating mode on low power operation. By means of the RELAP5 codes were modified by adding module calculating the effect of inclined, heaving and rolling condition, the simulation model of IPWR in inclined condition was built. Using the models developed, the influences on natural circulation operation by inclined angle and OTSG position, the transitions between forced circulation (forced circulation) and natural circulation and the effect on natural circulation operation by different OTSG grouping situations in inclined condition were analyzed. It was observed that a larger inclined angle results the temperature of the core outlet is too high and the OTSG superheat steam is insufficient in natural circulation mode operation. In general, the inclined angle is smaller unless the hull is destroyed seriously or the platform overturn in the ocean. In consequence, the results indicated that the IPWR in the movable marine platform in natural circulation mode operation is safety. Selecting an appropriate average temperature setting value or operating the uplifted OTSG group individually is able to reduce the influence on natural circulation flow of IPWR by inclined condition.
- V.M. Kuznetsov, A.V. Yablokov, I.B. Kolton, Floating Nuclear Power Plants in Russia: A Threat to the Arctic, World Oceans and Non-proliferation Treaty, Green Cross Russia, 2004.
- Matthew Brian Strother, Hydrodynamic Analysis of the Offshore Floating Nuclear Power Plant, Massachusetts institute of technology, 2015.
- J. Zhong, X.T. Yang, S.Y. Jiang, The overview of natural circulation characteristics of a marine reactor under ocean condition, in: 17th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering. Brussels Belgium, 2009, pp. 573-585.
- P. Minelli, J. Buongiorno, M. Golay, N. Todreas, Balance of Plant and Power Transmission for the Offshore Floating Nuclear Plant, NURETH-16, Chicago, 2015.
- IAEA, Advances in Small Modular Reactor Technology Developments, IAEA advanced Reactors Information System, August 2016.
- IAEA, Natural Circulation in Water Cooled Nuclear Power Plants, November 2005. IAEA-TECDOC-1474.
- IAEA, Passive Safety Systems and Natural Circulation in Water Cooled Nuclear Power Plants, November 2009. IAEA-TECDOC-1624.
- Parviz Ghadimi, Hadi Paselar Bandari, Determination of the heave and pitch motions of a floating cylinder by analytical solution of its diffraction problem and examination of the effects of geometric parameters on its dynamics in regular waves, Int. J. Appl. Math. Res. 1 (4) (2012).
- J.H. Kim, T.W. Kim, S.M. Lee, Study on the natural circulation characteristics of the integral type reactor for vertical and inclined conditions, Nucl. Eng. Des. 207 (2001) 21-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(00)00417-9
- J.H. Kim, T.W. Kim, Park Goon-Cherl, Numerical study on natural circulation characteristics in an intergral type marine reactor for inclined conditions, J. Korean Nucl. Soc. 33 (4) (2001).
- I. Iyori, I. Aya, H. Murata, M. Kobayashi, H. Nariai, Basic flow rate characteristics of natural circulation of marine reactors at inclined attitude, in: Proceedings of Second International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Power Plant Thermal Hydraulics and Operations, Tokyo, Japan, 1986, pp. 124-131.
- T. Ishida, T. Yoritsune, Effects of ship motions on natural circulation of deep sea research reactor DRX, Nucl. Eng. Des. 215 (2002) 51-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(02)00041-9
- Xingtuan Yang, Hongye Zhu, Houjun Gong, Natural circulation characteristics in a symmetrical two-circuit loop under inclined condition, Nucl. Power Eng. 10 (5) (2013) 124-127.
- P.Z. Gao, Effects of pitching and rolling upon natural circulation, Nucl. Power Eng. 20 (1999) 228-231.
- Binghuo Yan, Yu Lei, Theoretical research for natural circulation operational characteristic of ship nuclear machinery under ocean conditions, Ann. Nucl. Energy 36 (2009) 733-741. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2009.02.005
- Lihui He, Bing Wang, Genglei Xia, Study on natural circulation characteristics of an IPWR under inclined and rolling condition, Nucl. Eng. Des. 317 (2017) 81-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2017.03.033
- W.Q. Xu, M.J. Peng, J.G. Liu, Research on ideal steady state programming control strategy of integrated PWR, Chin. J. Nucl. Sci. Eng. (2010) 1-8.
- RELAP5/MOD3.3 Code Manuals, Idaho National Engineering Laboratory, 2001. NUREG/CR-5535.
- S.C. Tan, Z.W. Wang, C. Wang, Flow fluctuations and flow friction characteristics of vertical narrow rectangular channel under rolling motion conditions, Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 50 (2013) 69-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2013.05.006
- G.L. Xia, G.H. Su, M.J. Peng, Research of Flow Instability in OTSG under Low Load Conditions Annals of Nuclear Energy, 2015, pp. 421-427.
- G.L. Xia, G.H. Su, M.J. Peng, Analysis of natural circulation operational characteristics for integrated pressurized water reactor, Ann. Nucl. Energy 92 (2016) 304-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2016.01.032