- Volume 30 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Emulsification of O/W Emulsion Using Non-ionic Mixed Surfactant: Optimization Using CCD-RSM
비이온성 혼합계면활성제를 이용한 O/W 유화액의 제조 : CCD-RSM을 이용한 최적화
- Lee, Seung Bum (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Li, Guangzong (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Zuo, Chengliang (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Hong, In Kwon (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University)
- Received : 2019.07.30
- Accepted : 2019.09.02
- Published : 2019.10.10
A mixing ratio of the oil in water (O/W) emulsion of palm oil and the non-ionic surfactant (Tween-Span type) possessing different hydrophile-lipophilie balance (HLB) values was evaluated in this work. An optimum condition was determined through analysis of main and interaction effects of each quantitative factor using central composite design model-response surface methodology (CCD-RSM). Quantitative factors used by CCD-RSM were an emulsification time, emulsification speed, HLB value and amount of surfactant. On the other hand, the reaction parameters were the viscosity and mean droplet size of O/W emersion. Optimized conditions obtained from CCD-RSM were the emulsification time of 12.7 min, emulsification speed of 5,551 rpm, HLB value of 8.0 and amount of surfactant of 5.7 wt.%. Ideal experimental results under the optimized experimental condition were the viscosity of 1,551 cP and mean droplet size of 432 nm which satisfy the targeted values. The average error value from our actual experiment for verifying the conclusions was below to 2.5%. Therefore, a high favorable level could be obtained when the CCD-RSM was applied to the optimized palm oil to water emulsification.
- P. Dubuisson, C. Picard, M. Grisel, and G. Savary, How does composition influence the texture of cosmetic emulsions, Colloids Surf. A, 536, 38-46 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2017.08.001
- K. C. Powell and A. Chauhan, Interfacial effects and emulsion stabilization by in situ surfactant generation through the saponification of esters, Colloids Surf. A, 504, 458-470 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2016.06.002
- R. Pal, Influence of interfacial rheology on the viscosity of concentrated emulsions, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 356, 118-112 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2010.12.068
- M. Miyake and Y. Yamashita, Molecular structure and phase behavior of surfactants, Cosmet. Sci. Tech., 24, 389-414 (2017).
- A. Sedaghat Doost, D. Sinnaaeve, L. De Neve, and P. Van der Meeren, Influence of non-ionic surfactant type on the salt sensitivity of oregano oil-in-water emulsions, Colloids Surf. A, 525, 38-48 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2017.04.066
- K.-Y. Kyoung and C.-K. Lee, Development and prospect of emulsion technology in cosmetics, J. Soc. Cosmet. Sci. Korea, 32(4), 227-236 (2006).
- P. Yunita, S. Irawan, and D. Kania, Optimization of water-based drilling fluid using non-ionic and anionic surfactant additives, Procedia Eng., 148, 1184-1190 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.06.628
- W. C. Griffin, Calculation of HLB values of non-ionic surfactants, J. Soc. Cosmet. Chem., 5, 249-256 (1954).
- L. O. Orafidiya and F. A. Oladimeji, Determination of the required HLB values of some essential oils, Int. J. Pharm., 237, 241-249 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5173(02)00051-0
- C. Chen, Y. Shao, Y. Tao, and H. Wen, Optimization of dynamic microwave-assisted extraction of Armillaria polysaccharides using RSM, and their biological activity, LWT Food Sci. Technol., 64, 1263-1269 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2015.07.009
- K. Ameer, S.-W. Bae, Y. Jo, H.-G. Lee, A. Ameer, and J.-H. Kwon, Optimization of microwave-assisted extraction of total extract stevioside and rebaudioside-A from Stevia rebaudiana (Bertoni) leaves, using response surface methodology (RSM) and artificial neural network (ANN) modelling, Food Chem., 229, 198-207 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.01.121
- S. Jain, T. Winuprasith, and M. Suphantharika, Design and synthesis of modified and resistant starch-based oil-in-water emulsions, Food Hydrocolloids, 89, 153-162 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2018.10.036
- J. Sharma, S. P. Anand, V. Pruthi, A. S. Chaddha, J. Bhatia, and B. S. Kaith, RSM-CCD optimized adsorbent for the sequestration of carcinogenic rhodamine-B: Kinetics and equilibrium studies, Mater. Chem. Phys., 196, 270-283 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2017.04.042
- Y. H. Tan, M. O. Abdullah, and C. Nolasco-Hipolito, Application of RSM and Taguchi methods for optimizing the transesterification of waste cooking oil catalyzed by solid ostrich and chicken-eggshell derived CaO, Renew. Energy, 114, 437-447 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2017.07.024