- Volume 30 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Preparation of Calcium Silicate Hydrate Extrudates and Their Phosphate Adsorption Studies
- Rallapalli, Phani Brahma Somayajulu (Department of Integrated Environmental Systems, Pyeongtaek University) ;
- Ha, Jeong Hyub (Department of Integrated Environmental Systems, Pyeongtaek University)
- Received : 2019.07.30
- Accepted : 2019.08.11
- Published : 2019.10.10
Cylindrical shape extrudates of calcium silicate hydrate (CSH) were prepared using different percentages of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) / sodium alginate (SA) mixtures as binders and an aqueous solution containing 6%
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Z. T. Hijran, World phosphate industry, Iraqi Bull. Geol. Min., 7, 5-23 (2017).
- I. Steen, Phosphorus availability in the 21st century: Management of a non-renewable resource, Phosphorus Potassium, 217, 25-31 (1998).
- K. B. Biplob, I. Katsutoshi, N. G. Kedar, H. Hiroyuki, O. Keisuke, and K. Hidetaka, Removal and recovery of phosphorus from water by means of adsorption onto orange waste gel loaded with zirconium, Bioresour. Technol., 99, 8685-8690 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.04.015
- K. G. Ravindra, B. Sushmita, K. G. Pavan, and M. C. Chattopadhyaya, Remediation technologies for phosphate removal from wastewater: An overview. advances in environmental research, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 36, 177-200 (2014).
- T. B. Joshua, N. Edmond, D. O. Irina, M. Andrew, and W. G. David, A review of phosphorus removal technologies and their applicability to small-scale domestic wastewater treatment systems, Front. Environ. Sci., 6, 1-15 (2018). https://doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2018.00001
- A. Oehmen, P. C. Lemos, G. Carvalho, Z. Yuan, J. Keller, L. L. Blackall, and M. A. M. Reis, Advances in enhanced biological phosphorus removal: From micro to macro scale, Water Res., 41, 2271-2300 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2007.02.030
- L. E. De-Bashan and Y. Bashan, Recent advances in removing phosphorus from wastewater and its future use as fertilizer (1997-2003), Water Res., 38, 4222-4246 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2004.07.014
- K. Okano, M. Uemoto, J. Kagami, K. Miura, T. Aketo, and M. Toda, Novel technique for phosphorus recovery from aqueous solutions using amorphous calcium silicate bhydrates (A-CSHs), Water Res., 47, 2251-2259 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2013.01.052
- P. Loganathan, V. Saravanamuthu, J. Kandasamy, and S. B. Nanthi, Removal and recovery of phosphate from water using sorption, Crit. Rev. Environ. Sci. Technol., 44, 847-907 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2012.741311
- R. Chitrakar, S. Tezuka, A. Sonoda, K. Sakane, K. Ooi, and T. Hirotsu, Selective adsorption of phosphate from sea water and wastewater by amorphous zirconium hydroxide, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 297, 426-433 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2005.11.011
- G. Zhang, H. Liu, R. Liu, and J. Qu, Removal of phosphate from water by a Fe-Mn binary oxide adsorbent, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 335, 168-174 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2009.03.019
- S. Karaca, A. Gurses, M. Ejder, and M. Acikyildiz, Adsorptive removal of phosphate from aqueous solutions using raw and calcined dolomite, J. Hazard. Mater., B128, 273-279 (2006).
- S. M. Ashekuzzaman and J. Jia-Qian, Study on the sorption-desorption-regeneration performance of Ca-, Mg- and CaMg-based layered double hydroxides for removing phosphate from water, Chem. Eng. J., 246, 97-105 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2014.02.061
- J. K. Edzwald, D. C. Toensing, and M. C. Y. Leung, Phosphate adsorption reactions with clay minerals, Environ. Sci. Technol., 10, 485-490 (1976). https://doi.org/10.1021/es60116a001
- X. Cui, X. Dai, K. Y. Khan, T. Li, X. Yang, and Z. He, Removal of phosphate from aqueous solution using magnesium-alginate/chitosan modified biochar microspheres derived from Thalia dealbata, Bioresour. Technol., 218, 1123-1132 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2016.07.072
- Q. Yin, R. Wang, and Z. Zhao, Application of Mg-Al-modified biochar for simultaneous removal of ammonium, nitrate, and phosphate from eutrophic water, J. Clean. Prod., 176, 230-240 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.12.117
- R. Awual, A. Jyo, S. A. El-Safty, M. Tamada, and N. Seka, A weak-fibrous anion exchanger effective for rapid phosphate removal from water, J. Hazard. Mater., 188, 164-171 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.01.092
E. Ou, J. Zhou, S. Mao, J. Wang, F. Xia, and L. Min, Higly efficient removal of phosphate by lanthanum-doped mesoporous
$SiO_2$, Colloids Surf. A, 308, 47-53 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2007.05.027
- X. Chen, H. Kong, D. Wu, X. Wang, and Y. Lin, Phosphate removal and recovery through crystallization of hydroxyapatite using xonotlite as seed crystal, J. Environ. Sci., 21, 575-580 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(08)62310-4
- D. C. Southam, T.W. Lewis, A. J. McFarlane, and J. H. Johnston, Amorphous calcium silicate as a chemisorbent for phosphate, Curr. Appl. Phys., 4, 355-358 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cap.2003.11.047
- K. Okano, M. Shimpei, K. Ayaka, T. Hiroyuki, A. Tsuyoshi, T. Masaya, H. Kohsuke, and O. Hisao, Amorphous calcium silicate hydrates and their possible mechanism for recovering phosphate from wastewater, Sep. Purif. Technol., 144, 63-69 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2015.01.043
- M. M. Abd El-Latif, M. F. El-Kady, M. I. Amal, and E. O. Mona, Alginate/ polyvinyl alcohol-kaolin composite for removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution in a batch stirred tank reactor, J. Am. Sci., 6(5), 280-292 (2010).
- S. Cheng, Z. Yaqian, L. Ranbin, M. Yi, and M. David, Adsorption of phosphorus with calcium alginate beads containing drinking water treatment residual, Water Sci. Technol., 78(9), 1980-1989 (2018). https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2018.473
- D. Shilin, F. Dexin, P. Zishan, L. Bin, K. Li, W. Han, Z. Qian, S. Qiushi, and J. Fangying, Immobilization of powdery calcium silicate hydrate via PVA covalent cross-linking process for phosphorus removal, Sci. Total Environ., 645, 937-945 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.07.197
- A. Farid, A. Linnea, O. Steven, H. Niklas, and B. Lennart, Structuring adsorbents and catalysts by processing of porous powders, J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 34, 1643-1666 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2014.01.008
- W. Jinxing, L. Jidong, S. Li, and G. Sha, PVA/CS and PVA/CS/Fe gel beads' synthesis mechanism and their performance in cultivating anaerobic granular sludge, Chemosphere, 219, 130-139 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2018.12.014
- Z. Yang, H. Dongshuai, M. Hegoi, O. Carlos, G. Guoqing, J. M. M. Paulo, and L. Jiaping, Interfacial connection mechanisms in calcium-silicate-hydrates/polymer nanocomposites: A molecular dynamics study, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 46, 41014-41025 (2017).
- D. C. Southam, W. L. Trevor, J. M. Andrew, T. Borrmann, and H. J. Jim. Calcium-phosphorus interactions at a nano-structured silicate surface, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 319, 489-497 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2007.12.012
- F. Dexin, H. Liping, F. Zhuoyao, Z. Qian, S. Qiushi, L. Yimeng, X. Xiaoyi, and I. J. Fangy, Evaluation of porous calcium silicate hydrate derived from carbide slag for removing phosphate from wastewater, Chem. Eng. J., 354, 1-11 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2018.08.001
- S. M. Ragheb, Phosphate removal from aqueous solution using slag and fly ash, Housing and Building National Research Center Journal (HBRC J.), 9, 270-275 (2013).
- H. Moussout, H. Ahlafi, M. Aazza, and H. Maghat, Critical of linear and nonlinear equations of pseudo-first order and pseudo-second order kinetic models, Karbala Int. J. Mod. Sci., 4(2), 244-254 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kijoms.2018.04.001
- R. Dariush, Pseudo-second-order kinetic equations for modeling adsorption systems for removal of lead ions using multi-walled carbon nanotube, J. Nanostruct. Chem., 3, 55-60 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1186/2193-8865-3-55
- N. Salman, B. Vijay, M. Jiri, W. Jakub, B. Promoda, and A. Azeem, Sorption properties of iron impregnated activated carbon web for removal of methylene blue from aqueous media, Fibers Polym., 17, 1245-1255 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12221-016-6423-x
- J. Das, B. S. Patra, N. Baliarsingh, and K. M. Parida, Adsorption of phosphate by layered double hydroxides in aqueous solutions, Appl. Clay Sci., 32, 252-260 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2006.02.005
- R. P. Radheshyam, G. Prabuddha, B. Lalhmunsiama, C. B. Hari, and S. M. Lee, Al-intercalated acid activated bentonite beads for the removal of aqueous phosphate, Sci. Total Environ., 572, 1222-1230 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.08.040