- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
BSSSQS: A Blockchain-Based Smart and Secured Scheme for Question Sharing in the Smart Education System
- Islam, Anik (Department of IT Convergence Engineering, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Kader, Md Fazlul (Department of IT Convergence Engineering, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Shin, Soo Young (Department of IT Convergence Engineering, Kumoh National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2019.08.15
- Accepted : 2019.09.18
- Published : 2019.09.30
In this study, we present a new scheme for smart education utilizing the concept of a blockchain for question sharing. A two-phase encryption technique for encrypting question papers (QSPs) is proposed. In the first phase, QSPs are encrypted using a timestamp, and in the second phase, previously encrypted QSPs are encrypted again using a timestamp, salt hash, and hash from the previous QSPs. These encrypted QSPs are stored in a blockchain along with a smart contract that helps the user to unlock the selected QSP. An algorithm is also proposed for selecting a QSP for the exam that randomly picks a QSP. Moreover, a timestamp-based lock is imposed on the scheme so that no one can decrypt the QSP before the allowed time. Security analysis is conducted to demonstrate the feasibility of the proposed scheme against different attacks. Finally, the effectiveness of the proposed scheme is demonstrated through implementation, and the superiority of the proposed scheme over existing schemes is proven through a comparative study based on different features.
Blockchain;Internet of Things;Security;Smart education
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- S. Nakamoto, "Bitcoin: A peer-to-peer electronic cash system," 2008, [online] Available: https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf.
- M. Conoscenti, A. Vetro, and J. C. D. Martin, "Blockchain for the internet of things: A systematic literature review," in Proceeding of 2016 IEEE/ACS 13th International Conference of Computer Systems and Applications (AICCSA), pp. 1-6, Nov 2016. DOI: 10.1109/AICCSA.2016.7945805. https://doi.org/10.1109/AICCSA.2016.7945805
- K. Christidis and M. Devetsikiotis, "Blockchains and smart contracts for the internet of things," IEEE Access, vol. 4, pp. 2292-2303, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2566339. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2566339
- J. Kishigami, S. Fujimura, H. Watanabe, A. Nakadaira, and A. Akutsu, "The blockchain-based digital content distribution system," in Proceeding of 2015 IEEE Fifth International Conference on Big Data and Cloud Computing, pp. 187-190, Aug 2015. DOI: 10.1109/BDCloud.2015.60. https://doi.org/10.1109/BDCloud.2015.60
- A. Islam and S. Y. Shin, "BHMUS: Blockchain Based Secure Outdoor Health Monitoring Scheme Using UAV in Smart City," in Proceeding of 2019 7th International Conference on Information and Communication Technology (ICoICT), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 1-6, 2019. DOI: 10.1109/ICoICT.2019.8835373. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICoICT.2019.8835373
- B. A. Tama, B. J. Kweka, Y. Park, and K. H. Rhee, "A critical review of blockchain and its current applications," in Proceeding of 2017 International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (ICECOS), pp. 109-113, Aug 2017. DOI: 10.1109/ICECOS.2017.8167115. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICECOS.2017.8167115
- A. Islam, M. B. Uddin, M. F. Kader, and S. Y. Shin, "Blockchain based secure data handover scheme in non-orthogonal multiple access," in Proceeding of 2018 4th International Conference on Wireless and Telematics (ICWT), pp. 1-5, July 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ICWT.2018.8527732 https://doi.org/10.1109/ICWT.2018.8527732
- N. Kshetri and J. Voas, "Blockchain-enabled e-voting," IEEE Software, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 95-99, July 2018. DOI: 10.1109/MS.2018.2801546. https://doi.org/10.1109/MS.2018.2801546
- A. Islam and S. Y. Shin, "BUS: A Blockchain-Enabled Data Acquisition Scheme With the Assistance of UAV Swarm in Internet of Things," IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 103231-103249, 2019. DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2930774. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2930774
- "Genesis block," [online] Available: https: //en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Genesis block.
- X. Li, P. Jiang, T. Chen, X. Luo, and Q. Wen, "A survey on the security of blockchain systems," Future Generation Computer Systems, 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2017.08.020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2017.08.020
- R. Henry, A. Herzberg, and A. Kate, "Blockchain access privacy: Challenges and directions," IEEE Security Privacy, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 38-45, July 2018. DOI: 10.1109/MSP.2018.3111245. https://doi.org/10.1109/MSP.2018.3111245
- J. Lin, W. Yu, N. Zhang, X. Yang, H. Zhang, and W. Zhao, "A survey on internet of things: Architecture, enabling technologies, security and privacy, and applications," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1125-1142, Oct. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/JIOT.2017.2683200. https://doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2017.2683200
- W. Ejaz, A. Anpalagan, M. A. Imran, M. Jo, M. Naeem, S. B. Qaisar, and W. Wang, "Internet of things (IoT) in 5G wireless communications," IEEE Access, vol. 4, pp. 10310-10314, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2646120. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2646120
- R. Li, T. Song, N. Capurso, J. Yu, J. Couture, and X. Cheng, "IoT applications on secure smart shopping system," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1945-1954, Dec. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/JIOT.2017.2706698. https://doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2017.2706698
- D. Miller, "Blockchain and the internet of things in the industrial sector," IT Professional, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 15-18, May 2018. DOI: 10.1109/MITP.2018.032501742. https://doi.org/10.1109/MITP.2018.032501742
- M. ur Rahman, Himanshi, V. Deep, and S. Rahman, "ICT and internet of things for creating smart learning environment for students at education institutes in India," in Proceeding of 2016 6th International Conference - Cloud System and Big Data Engineering (Confluence), pp. 701-704, Jan. 2016. DOI: 0.1109/CONFLUENCE.2016.7508209.
- H. Maenpaa, S. Varjonen, A. Hellas, S. Tarkoma, and T. Mannisto, "Assessing IOT projects in university education - a framework for problem-based learning," in Proceeding of 2017 IEEE/ACM 39th International Conference on Software Engineering: Software Engineering Education and Training Track (ICSESEET), pp. 37-46, May 2017. DOI: 10.1109/ICSE-SEET.2017.6. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSE-SEET.2017.6
- B. Ahmed, "IoT and blockchain convergence: Benefits and challenges," [online] Available: https://iot.ieee.org/newsletter/january-2017/iotandblockchain-convergence-benefits-andchallenges.html.
- O. J. A. Pinno, A. R. A. Gregio, and L. C. E. D. Bona, "Controlchain: Blockchain as a central enabler for access control authorizations in the IoT," in Proceeding of GLOBECOM 2017 - 2017 IEEE Global Communications Conference, pp. 1-6, Dec. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/GLOCOM.2017.8254521. https://doi.org/10.1109/GLOCOM.2017.8254521
- X. Liang, J. Zhao, S. Shetty, and D. Li, "Towards data assurance and resilience in IoT using blockchain," in Proceeding of MILCOM 2017 - 2017 IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), pp. 261-266, Oct. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/MILCOM.2017.8170858. https://doi.org/10.1109/MILCOM.2017.8170858
- K. Tattersall, "The role and functions of public examinations," Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 293-304, 1994. DOI: 10.1080/0969594940010305. https://doi.org/10.1080/0969594940010305
- P. Black and D. Wiliam, "Assessment and classroom learning," Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 7-74, 1998. DOI: 10.1080/0969595980050102. https://doi.org/10.1080/0969595980050102
- S. P. Heyneman, "Uses of examinations in developing countries: Selection, research, and education sector management," International Journal of Educational Development, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 251-263, 1987. DOI: 10.1016/0738-0593(87)90023-X. https://doi.org/10.1016/0738-0593(87)90023-X
- R. Olatoye, "Checking the menace of examination malpractice: A call for more teaching and learning in schools," Institute of Education, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Nigeria, p. 1, 2008.
- A. A. Emiloju and C. Adeyoju, "The challenges of maintaining the integrity of public examinations in Nigeria: The ethical issues," International Education Studies, vol. 5, no. 2, p. 18, 2012. DOI: 10.5539/ies.v5n2p18.
- T. I. Bangladesh, "Question leakage in public examinations: Process, reason and way forward," 2015.
- J. McCrank, "ACT cancels some college entrance exams after test leak," Sep 2017, [online] Available: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-college-cheating/act-cancels-some-collegeentrance-exams-aftertest-leak-idUSKCN1BI29P.
- R. A. F. Mailonline, "Hundreds of students are sent home after Alevel physics exam is stolen and shared on social media," May 2017, [online]. Available: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4534118/Hundreds-students-sent-hometest-paper.html.
- J. Guo, "Chinese postgraduate entrance exam leaked?" Dec 2017, [online] Available: http://supchina.com/2017/12/27/chinesepostgraduateentrance-exam-leaked/.
- "Exam papers leaked at ukzn," Nov 2017, [online] Available: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/exampapers-leaked-at-ukzn-20171113.
- A.-M. Al-Youm, "French language exam papers leaked on facebook," Jun 2017, [online] Available: http://www.egyptindependent.com/frenchexams-leaked/.
- "Despite strict measures, arabic exam leaked on first day of egypt's thanaweya amma examinations," [online] Available: http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/270200/Egypt/Politics-/Despite-strictmeasures;-Arabic-exam-leaked-on-fir.aspx.
- "Vietnam teacher leaks test questions to neighbor as 'return of favor'," May 2017, [online] Available: https://tuoitrenews.vn/education/41079/vietnam-teacher-leaks-test-questions-toneighbor-asreturn-of-favor.
- "10 held on question leakage charge," [online] Available: http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2018-01-07/10-held-on-questionleakagecharge.html.
- "Papers might have been leaked, police tell IoM," [online] Available: http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-11-06/papers-mighthave-been-leakedpolice-tell-iom.html.
- "Four major whatsapp groups involved in leaking papers traced," [online] Available: https://www.geo.tv/latest/140930-11th-in-linePhysicssupplementary-paper-leaked-in-Karachi.
- "Exam season fiasco: papers leaked, students cheating in sindh classrooms," [online] Available: https://www.geo.tv/latest/139515-Exam-seasonfiasco-papers-leaked-students-cheating-in-Sindhclassrooms.
- "Racket involved in MDCAT paper leak," [online] Available: https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/ 234932-Racket-involved-in-MDCATpaper-leak.
- "Physics paper leaked just before exams," May 2017, [online] Available: https://www.samaa.tv/pakistan/2017/05/ physics-paperleaked-just-before-exams/.
- "Who is leaking CSS exam questions? - pakistan - dunya news," [online] Available: http://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/375604-Whois-leaking-CSS-exam-questions.
- New Indian Xpress, "Recruitment exam paper leak: Army begins probe; exams cancelled across India," [online] Available: http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/2017/feb/ 26/recruitment-exampaper- leak-army-beginsprobe-exams-cancelled-across-india-1575035.html.
- N. D. Press Trust of India, "AIIMS MBBS 2017 entrance test paper leaked," May 2017, [online] Available: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/aiims-mbbs-entrance-test-paperleaked-says-vyapamscam-whistle-blower-anandrai/story-tuPKqb5vIXsbKy7CGvSfAP.html.
- I. Today, "NEET 2017 paper leak: Racket kingpin arrested in Delhi," May 2017, [online] Available: https://www.indiatoday.in/educationtoday/news/ story/neet-2017-paper-leak-976849-2017-05-13.
- R. A. Ruhani, "JSC questions for every exam so far leaked," Nov 2017, [online] Available: http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/education/2017/11/09/jsc-exam-question-leak/.
- S. A. S. Correspondent bdnews24.com, "Dhaka board holds SSC exam with leaked question paper despite being informed," [online] Available: https://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2017/02/21/dhaka-boardholds-ssc-exam-with-leakedquestion-paper-despite-being-informed.
- "Teacher accused of leaking test qsps to private tutor," Nov 2017, [online] Available: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/11/251239889.html.
- L. Chang and X. G. Ming, "Application research of web examination system based on college," Energy Procedia, vol. 17, pp. 528-533, 2012. DOI: 10.1016/j.egypro.2012.02.131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2012.02.131
- B. Y. Kaya, G. Kaya, and M. Dagdeviren, "A sample application of web based examination system for distance and formal education," Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, vol. 141, pp. 1357-1362, 2014. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.05.234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.05.234
- X.-d. Yang, "The Research on Online Examination System of PE Theory Courses," Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2013, pp. 357-362. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-33030-8_58.
- H. Lu and Y. Hu, "The design and implementation of online examination system based on J2EE," in Proceeding of 2012 International Conference on Industrial Control and Electronics Engineering, pp. 93-95, Aug. 2012. DOI: 10.1109/ICICEE.2012.33. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICICEE.2012.33
- L. Zhai and T. Gong, "The research of examination management system based on network flat," in Proceeding of 2011 2nd International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Management Science and Electronic Commerce (AIMSEC), pp. 2611-2613, Aug. 2011. DOI: 10.1109/AIMSEC.2011.6011131. https://doi.org/10.1109/AIMSEC.2011.6011131
- K. Henke, "Web-based test, examination and assessment system," Adv. Technol. Learn., vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 140-145, Jun. 2007. DOI: 10.2316/Journal.208.2007.3.208-0911.
- M. S. H. Mohammed Issam Younis, "Construction of an online examination system with resumption and randomization capabilities," International Journal of Computing Academic Research, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 62-82, 2015.