- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
User's Willingness to Donate to a Personal Broadcasting Creator From a Rhetorical View
수사학적 관점에서의 인터넷 개인방송 크리에이터에 대한 이용자의 기부의사에 관한 연구
- 문윤지 (부산가톨릭대학교 경영정보학과)
- Received : 2019.06.11
- Accepted : 2019.07.22
- Published : 2019.09.30
Purpose Recently, Internet personal broadcasting has been widely spreaded as a new media type by replacing traditional legacy media such as TV. Considering this phenomenon, this study aims to explore the effect of Aristoteles' persuasion factors on Internet personal broadcasting from a rhetorical view. The reason why users watch the Internet personal broadcasting is that they are persuaded by creator's expertness, empathy, or content usefulness. These factors can be regarded as persuasion factors. Therefore, with Aristoteles' rhetorical persuasion factors composed of ethos, pathos, and logos, this paper tries to investigate how persuasion factors affect user's emotional\ attachment and voluntary donation intention. Design/methodology/approach This paper proposes a model of the relationships among three rhetorical factors, user's emotional attachment, and donation intention. Specifically, ethos is regarded as creator's expertness and trustworthiness, and pathos refers to creator's empathy and social interaction. Last, logos refers to content usefulness and credibility. For testing a hypothetical research model, this study collected 468 surveys and empirically tested hypotheses using a structural equation model. Findings This study investigated how rhetorical factors (ethos, pathos, and logos) and emotional attachment further influence user's donation intention. The findings suggest that rhetorical factors of ethos and pathos enhances emotional attachment, followed by donation intention. Contrary to an expectation, however, logos was not significantly related to emotional attachment. Creators of Internet personal media and MCN providers should focus on the different effects of rhetorical factors and pay attention to the role of emotional attachment to encourage user donation.
personal Internet broadcasting;rhetoric;ethos;pathos;logos;emotional attachment;donation intention
- 강소라, 김유정, 문윤지, 김우곤, 이현주, "UCC서비스 사이트의 정보품질 평가 모델 개발," 한국산학기술학회논문지, 제11권, 제8호, 2010, pp.2818-2826. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.8.2818
- 고문정, 윤석민, "온라인 플랫폼에서의 다중 채널 네트워크(MCN) 비즈니스 모델 탐색," 정보통신정책연구, 제23권, 제1호, 2016, pp.59-94.
- 김설예, 유은, 정재민, "인터넷 개인방송의 이용 동기와 사회적 시청 요인이 지속이용과 지불의사에 미치는 영향-아프리카 TV를 중심으로," 문화경제연구, 제19권, 제3호, 2016, pp.57-84.
- 김유정, 전방지, 강소라, "UCC 서비스 참여에서의 사회적 실재감과 감정차원의 중요성에 관한 연구," 정보시스템연구, 제16권, 제4호, 2007, pp.195-221.
- 김윤화, "멀티채널네트워크(MCN) 시장 동향," 정보통신방송정책, 28(20), 2016, pp.15-20.
- 김해원, 강혜원, 백지연, "크리에이터에게 이용자와 '상호작용'한다는 것은 무슨 의미인가?-인터넷 개인방송 창작자에 관한 에스노그라피," 방송과 커뮤니케이션, 제19권, 제2호, 2017, pp.49-90.
- 박우수, 수사적 인간, 민음사, 1995.
- 이동후, 이설희, "인터넷 개인방송 BJ의 노동 과정에 대한 탐색," 한국언론학보, 제61권, 제2호, 2017, pp.127-156.
- 이병호, "수익 창출 측면에서의 유튜브 역사 분석-유튜브와 크리에이터 영상미디어 채널의 수익 증진 현황," 예술과 미디어, 제15권, 제3호, 2016, pp.117-146.
- 이인성, 이기호, 최지웅, 양승화, 임성택, 전석원, 김진우, 홍세준, "사용자 만족과 애착의 이론적 통합 모형에 관한 실증적 연구," 경영학연구, 제37권, 제5호, 2008, pp.1171-1203.
- 이웅규, 박진훈, "브랜드 애착과 지각된 심미성이 새로운 스마트폰에 대한 구매의도에 미치는 영향," 정보시스템연구, 제23권, 제4호, 2014, pp.147-168.
- 전영우, "아리스토텔레스의 '레토릭'에 대하여," 화법연구, 제14권, 제0호, 2009, pp.301-320.
- 정인숙, "MCN의 플랫폼 대응과 기존 미디어 사업자의 MCN 대응이 주는 시사점," 방송통신연구, 제95권, 2016, pp.64-88.
- 한국소비자원, "신유형 1인 미디어 콘텐츠 소비실태조사-인터넷 개인방송을 중심으로," 한국소비자원 조사보고서, 2017, pp.1-78.
- 황인호, 김태하, 김진수, "콘텐츠와 패러디 특성이 UCC 사용자 태도 및 온라인 구전의도에 미치는 영향," 정보시스템연구, 제21권, 제3호, 2012, pp.1-22.
- Aron, A., Aron, E.N. and Norman, C., "Self-expansion Model of Motivation and Cognition in Close Relationships and Beyond," in Blackwell Handbook of Social Psychology: Interpersonal Processes, Fletcher, G. and Clark, M. (eds.), Blackwell Publishers Ltd, Oxford, 2003, pp. 478-501.
- Basil, M.D., "Identification as a Mediator of Celebrity Effects," Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, Vol.40, No.4, 1996, 478-495. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838159609364370
- Bekkers, R. and Wiepking, P., "A literature review of empirical studies of philanthropy: Eight mechanisms that drive charitable giving," Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, Vol.40, No.5, 2010, pp.924-973. https://doi.org/10.1177/0899764010380927
Berlanga, I., Garcia-Garcia F. and Victoria. J.S., "Ethos, pathos, and logos in Facebook. User Networking: New <
> of the 21st century," Signific Journal of Media Education, Vol.21, No.41, 2013, pp.127-135.
- Boenigk, S. and Helmig, B., "Why do donors donate? Examining the effects of organizational identification and identity salience on the relationships among satisfaction, loyalty, and donation behavior," Journal of. Service Research, Vol.16, No.4, 2013, pp.533-548. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670513486169
- Bowlby, J. (1979). The making and breaking of affectional bonds, London, UK: Tavistock Publications.
- Brady, M.K., Noble, C.H., Utter, D.J. and Smith, G.E., "How to give and receive: an exploratory study of charitable hybrids," Psychological Marketing, Vol.19, No.11, 2002, pp.919-944. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.10044
- Bruns, A., "The active audience: Transforming journalism from gatekeeping to gatewatching," in Making online news: The ethnography of new media production, Paterson. C. and Domingo, D. (eds.), Peter Lang, New York, 2008.
- Erdem, T. and Swait, J., "Brand Credibility, Brand Consideration, and Choice," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.31, No.June, 2004, pp.191-198. https://doi.org/10.1086/383434
- Erdogan, B.Z., Baker, M.J. and Tagg, S., "Selecting celebrity endorsers: The practitioner's perspective," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.41, No.3, 2001, pp.39-48. https://doi.org/10.2501/JAR-41-3-39-48
- Fedorikhin, A. and Park, C.W. and Thomson, M., Beyond fit and attitude: the effect of emotional attachment on consumer responses to brand extensions, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.18, No.4, pp.281-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2008.09.006
- Fornell, C. and Larcker, D.F., "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.2, 1981, pp.39-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- Han, H., Shin, S., Chung, N. and Koo, C., "Which appeals(ethos, pathos, logos) are the most important for Airbnb users to booking?" International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol.31, No.3, 2019, pp.1205-1223. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-12-2017-0784
- Haas, C. and Wearden, S.T., "E-credibility: Building common ground in web environments," L1-Educational Studies in Language and Literature, Vol.3, No.1-2, 2003, pp.169-184. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024557422109
- Haythornthwaite, C., "Strong, weak, and latent ties and the impact of new media," The Information Society, Vol.18, No.5, 2002, pp.385-401. https://doi.org/10.1080/01972240290108195
- Horvath, C. and van Birgelen, M.,. "The role of brands in the behavior and purchase decisions of compulsive versus non-compulsive buyers," European Journal of Marketing, Vol.49, 2015, pp.2-21. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-10-2012-0627
- Hovland, C., Janis, I. and Kelly, H., Communication and Persuasion, New Haven Yale University Press, 1953.
- Isaac, R.M., Lightle, J.P. and Norton, D.A., "The pay-what-you-want business model: warm glow revenues and endogenous price discrimination," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Vol.57, 2015, pp.215-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socec.2015.02.003
- Lee, M.R., Yen, D.C. and Hsiao, C.Y. "Understanding the perceived community value of Facebook users," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.35, No.February, 2014, pp.350-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.03.018
- Lin, Y. and Chen, S. "The impacts of brand equity, brand attachment, product involvement and repurchase intention on bicycle users," African Journal of Business, Vol.5, No.14, 2011, pp.5910-5919.
- Marshall, D.P., Celebrity and power: Fame in contemporary culture, University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, 1997.
- Ndubisi, N.O., Nataraajan, R. and Chew, J., "Ethical ideologies, perceived gambling value, and gambling commitment: An Asian perspective," Journal of Business Research, Vol.67, No.2, 2014. pp.128-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2012.11.004
- Paek, H-J., Hove, T. and Jeong, H.J., "Peer or expert? The persuasive impact of YouTube public service announcement producers," International Journal of Advertising, Vol.30, No.1, 2011, pp.161-188. https://doi.org/10.2501/IJA-30-1-161-188
- Ren, Y., Harper, F.M., Drenner, S., Terveen, L., Kiesler, S., Riedl, J. and Kraut, R.E., "Building member attachment in on-line communities: Applying theories of group identity and interpersonal bonds," MIS Quarterly, Vol.36, No.3, 2012, pp.841-864. https://doi.org/10.2307/41703483
- Richins, M.L. "Valuing things: The public and private meanings of possessions," Journal of consumer research, Vol.21, No.3, 1994, pp.504-521. https://doi.org/10.1086/209414
- Rubin, A.M., "Television uses and gratifications: The interactions of viewing patterns and motivations," Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol.27, No.1, 1983, pp.37-51. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838158309386471
- Sargeant, A., Ford, J.B. and West, D.C., "Perceptual determinants of nonprofit giving behavior," Journal of Business Research, Vol.59, No.2, 2006. pp.155-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2005.04.006
- Sirgy, M.J. "Self-concept in consumer behavior: A critical review," Journal of consumer research, Vol.9, No.3, 1982, pp.287-300. https://doi.org/10.1086/208924
- Thomson, M., MacInnis, D.J. and Park, W.C., "The ties that bind: measuring the strength of consumers' emotional attachments to brands," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.15, No.1, 2005, pp.77-91. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp1501_10
- Venkatesh, V. and Brown, S.A. "A longitudinal investigation of personal computers in homes: adoption determinants and emerging challenges," MIS quarterly, Vol.25, No.1, 2001, pp.71-102. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250959
- Vickery, G. and Wunsch-Vincent, S., Participative Web and User-Created Content: Web 2.0 Wikis and Social Networking, Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris, 2006.
- Walther, J.B., "Interpersonal effects in computer-mediated interaction: A relational perspective," Communication research, Vol.19, No.1, 1992, pp.52-90. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365092019001003
- Wan, J., Lu, Y., Wang, B. and Zhao, L., "How attachment influences users' willingness to donate to content creators in social media: A soci-technical systems perspective," Information & Management, Vol.54, No.7, 2017, pp.837-850. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2016.12.007
- Westerman, D., Spence, P.R. and Van Der Heide, B., "Social media as information source: Recency of updates and credibility of information," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.19, 2014, pp.171-183. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcc4.12041
- 매일경제, "스트리밍 올라탄 1인 방송 몸값 쑥... 국내 개인 유튜버 구독자, Top 7은?", 2019.03.28., https://www.mk.co.kr/news/culture/view/2019/03/188290/
- 안광호, 이재환, "소비자 욕구충족성과 스타 속성이 스타브랜드 애착과 후원브랜드에 대한 소비자반응에 미치는 영향," 한국마케팅저널, 제12권, 제1호, 2010, pp.51-79.