- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Relationship of Froude Number and Developed Cloud Band Locations Near Yeongdong Region Under the Siberian High Pressure System
시베리아 고기압 영향으로 영동지역 부근에서 발달한 구름대의 위치와 Froude 수와의 관계
- Kim, Yu-Jin (Department of Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Kim, Man-Ki (Numerical Data Application Division, Numerical Modeling Center, Korea Meteorological Administration) ;
- Lee, Jae Gyoo (Department of Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- Received : 2019.06.05
- Accepted : 2019.08.28
- Published : 2019.09.30
Precipitation and no-precipitation events under the influence of the Siberian high pressure system in Yeondong region, were analysed and classified as four types [obvious precipitation event (OP) type, obvious no-precipitation event (ON) type, ambiguous precipitation event (AP) type and ambiguous no-precipitation event (AN) type], according to the easiness in determining whether to have precipitation or not in Yeongdong region, to help in improving the forecast skill. Concerning the synoptic pressure pattern, for OP type, the ridge of Siberian high extends from Lake Baikal toward Northeast China, and there is a northerly wind upstream of the northern mountain complex (located near the Korean-Chinese border). On the other hand, for ON type, the ridge of Siberian high extends southeastward from Lake Baikal, and there is a westerly wind upstream of the northern mountain complex. The pressure pattern of AP type was similar to the OP type and that of AN type was also similar to ON type. Thus it was difficult to differentiate AP type and OP type and AN type and ON type based on the synoptic pressure pattern only. The four types were determined by U (wind speed normal to the Taebaek mountains) and Froude number (FN). That is, for OP type, average FN and U at Yeongdong coast are ~2.0 and
Precipitation event type;Froude number;wind field;Yeongdong region;a schematic diagram
Grant : 기상업무지원기술개발연구, 재해기상 감시.분석.예측 기술 개발 및 활용연구
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 국립기상과학원
- Baines, P. G., 1979: Observations of stratified flow past Three-dimensional barriers. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 84, 7834-7838. https://doi.org/10.1029/JC084iC12p07834
- Evans, M., M. Jurewicz, and R. Kline, 2017: The elevation-dependence of snowfall in the Appalachian Ridge and Valley region of northeastern Pennsylvania. J. Operational Meteor., 5, 87-102, doi:10.15191/nwajom.2017.0508. https://doi.org/10.15191/nwajom.2017.0508
- Forbes, G. S., D. W. Thomson, and R. A. Anthes, 1987: Synoptic and mesoscale aspects of an Appalachian ice storm associated with cold-air damming. Mon. Wea. Rev., 115, 564-591. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1987)115<0564:SAMAOA>2.0.CO;2
- Han, J.-Y., J.-J. Kim, and J.-J. Baik, 2007: Flow Regimes of Continuously Stratified Flow over a Double Mountain. Atmosphere, 17, 231-240 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Hong, M. R., 2017: A Study on a Heavy Snowfall Phenomenon over Yeongdong Coastal Area Using a Trajectory Analysis. M.S. Thesis, Gangneung-Wonju National University, 33 pp (in Korean with English abstract).
- Hong, S.-Y., Y. Noh, and J. Dudhia, 2006: A New Vertical Diffusion Package with an Explicit Treatment of Entrainment Processes. Mon. Wea. Rev., 134, 2318-2341. https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR3199.1
- Iacono, M. J., J. S. Delamere, E. J. Mlawer, M. W. Shephard, S. A. Clough, and W. D. Collins, 2008: Radiative forcing by long-lived greenhouse gases: Calculations with the AER radiative transfer models. J. Geophys. Res., 113, D13103, doi:10.1029/2008JD009944. https://doi.org/10.1029/2008JD009944
- Jang, W., and H.-Y. Chun, 2008: Severe downslope windstorms of Gangneung in the springtime. Atmosphere, 18, 207-224 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kain, J. S., 2004: The Kain-fritsch convective parameterization: an update. J. Appl. Meteor. Climatol., 43, 170-181. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0450(2004)043<0170:TKCPAU>2.0.CO;2
- Kim, A.-H., and T.-Y. Lee, 2016: A study of a heavy rainfall event in the Middle Korean Peninsula in a situation of a synoptic-scale ridge over the Korean Peninsula. Atmosphere, 26, 577-598 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2016.26.4.577
- Kim, M.-K., 2016: A Comparative Study of the Low Clouds Off the Coast and those Entering the Coastal Area. M.S. Thesis, Gangneung-Wonju National University, 42 pp (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, J.-H., and I.-U. Chung, 2006: Study on mechanisms and orographic effect for the springtime downslope windstorm over the Yeongdong region. Atmosphere, 16, 67-83 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, J.-G., and Y. J. Kim, 2008: A numerical simulation study using WRF of a heavy snowfall event in the Yeongdong coastal area in relation to the northeasterly. Atmosphere, 18(4), 339-354 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, J.-G., and S.-R. In, 2009: A numerical sensitivity experiment of the downslope windstorm over the Yeongdong Region in relation to the inversion layer of temperature. Atmosphere, 19, 331-344 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, J.-G., and Y. J. Kim, 2009: A numerical case study examining the orographic effect of the northern mountain complex on snowfall distribution over the Yeongdong region. Atmosphere, 19, 345-370 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lim, K.-S. S., and S.-Y. Hong, 2010: Development of an effective double-moment cloud microphysics scheme with prognostic Cloud Condensation Nuclei (CCN) for weather and climate models. Mon. Wea. Rev., 138, 1587-1612, doi:10.1175/2009MWR2968.1. https://doi.org/10.1175/2009MWR2968.1
- Manins, P. C., and B. L. Sawford, 1982: Mesoscale observations of upstream blocking. Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 108, 427-434. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.49710845608
- Mason, P. J., and R. I. Sykes, 1978: On the interaction of topography and Ekman boundary layer pumping in a stratified atmosphere. Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 104, 475-490. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.49710444018
- Muccilli, M., 2015: Using the Froude Number to Improve Orographic Snow Forecasts in the Green Mountains of Vermont. Eastern Region Technical Attachment No. 2015-05, 43 pp.
- Park, S. K., H. H. Kim, Y. G. Roh, S. M. Lim, J.-H. Kim, S.M. Oh, and Technovation partners, 2007: Technology evaluation through diagnosis of forecast capability. KMA TRKO201100007095. Atmospheric science and earth quake research. CATER 2007-1109, 129 pp (in Korean with English abstract).
- Skamarock, W. C., J. B. Klemp, J. Dudhia, D. O. Gill, D. M. Barker, M. G. Duda, X.-Y. Huang, W. Wang, and J. G. Powers, 2008: A description of the advanced research WRF version 3. NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN-475+STR, 113 pp.
- Smith, R. B., 1982: Synoptic observations and theory of orographically disturbed wind and pressure. J. Atmos. Sci., 39, 60-70. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(1982)039<0060:SOATOO>2.0.CO;2
- Song, J.-A., J. G. Lee, and Y.-J. Kim, 2016: The study of correlations between air-sea temperature difference and precipitation and between wind and precipitation in the Yeongdong coastal region in relation to the Siberian high. Atmosphere, 26, 127-140 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2016.26.1.127