- Volume 61 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of dietary mixture of protease and probiotics on growth performance, blood constituents, and carcass characteristics of growing-finishing pigs
- Min, Yejin (Swine Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Choi, Yohan (Swine Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Choe, Jeehwan (Department of Beef Science, Korea National College of Agriculture and Fisheries) ;
- Kim, Younghwa (Swine Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Jeong, Yongdae (Swine Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Doowan (Swine Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Joeun (Swine Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Jung, Hyunjung (Swine Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Song, Minho (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2019.07.09
- Accepted : 2019.09.03
- Published : 2019.09.30
This study was conducted to evaluate the effects of dietary mixture of protease and probiotics on growth performance, blood constituents, and carcass characteristics of growing-finishing pigs. A total of 48 growing pigs were randomly allotted into 2 dietary (6 pigs/pen; 4 replicates/treatment). The treatments were a diet based on corn and soybean meal (CON) and CON supplemented with 0.01% of dietary mixture of protease and probiotics (MULTI). No differences were found on growth performance (average daily gain, ADG; overall, 874.06 vs. 881.14 g/d; p > 0.05), blood constituents (white blood cell, WBC; phase I, 17.51 vs.
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science and Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Olukosi OA, Beeson LA, Englyst K, Romero LF. Effects of exogenous proteases without or with carbohydrases on nutrient digestibility and disappearance of non-starch polysaccharides in broiler chickens. Poult Sci. 2015;94:2662-9. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pev260
- Payling L, Kim IH, Walsh MC, Kiarie E. Effects of a multi-strain Bacillus spp. direct-fed microbial and a protease enzyme on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, fecal microbiota, and noxious gas emissions of grower pigs fed corn-soybean-meal-based diets-A meta-analysis. J Anim Sci. 2017;95:4018-29.
- Liu SY, Selle PH, Court SG, Cowieson AJ. Protease supplementation of sorghum-based broiler diets enhances amino acid digestibility coefficients in four small intestinal sites and accelerates their rates of digestion. Anim Feed Sci Technol. 2013;183:175-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2013.05.006
- Pan L, Zhao PF, Yang ZY, Long SF, Wang HL, Tian QY, et al. Effects of coated compound proteases on apparent total tract digestibility of nutrients and apparent ileal digestibility of amino acids for pigs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2016;29:1761-7. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0041
- Xu X, Wang HL, Pan L, Ma XK, Tian QY, Xu YT, et al. Effects of coated proteases on the performance, nutrient retention, gut morphology and carcass traits of broilers fed corn or sorghum based diets supplemented with soybean meal. Anim Feed Sci Technol. 2017;223:119-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2016.10.015
- Thacker PA. Effect of enzyme supplementation on the performance of growing-finishing pigs fed barley-based diets supplemented with soybean meal or canola meal. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2001;14:1008-13. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.1008
- Wang D, Piao XS, Zeng ZK, Lu T, Zhang Q, Li PF, et al. Effects of keratinase on performance, nutrient utilization, intestinal morphology, intestinal ecology and inflammatory response of weaned piglets fed diets with different levels of crude protein. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2011;24:1718-28. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11132
- Agyekum AK, Regassa A, Kiarie E, Nyachoti CM. Nutrient digestibility, digesta volatile fatty acids, and intestinal bacterial profile in growing pigs fed a distillers dried grains with solubles containing diet supplemented with a multi-enzyme cocktail. Anim Feed Sci Technol. 2016;212:70-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2015.12.006
- Zuo J, Ling B, Long L, Li T, Lahaye L, Yang C, et al. Effect of dietary supplementation with protease on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, intestinal morphology, digestive enzymes and gene expression of weaned piglets. Anim Nutr. 2015;1:276-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aninu.2015.10.003
- Yin YL, Baidoo SK, Jin LZ, Liu YG, Schulze H, Simmins PH. The effect of different carbohydrase and protease supplementation on apparent (ileal and overall) digestibility of nutrients of five hulless barley varieties in young pigs. Livest Prod Sci. 2001;71:109-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00215-9
- Omogbenigun FO, Nyachoti CM, Slominski BA. Dietary supplementation with multienzyme preparations improves nutrient utilization and growth performance in weaned pigs. J Anim Sci. 2004;82:1053-61. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.8241053x
- Yin YL, Deng ZY, Huang HL, Li TJ, Zhong HY. The effect of arabinoxylanase and protease supplementation on nutritional value of diets containing wheat bran or rice bran in growing pig. J Anim Feed Sci. 2004;13:445-61.
- Ji F, Casper DP, Brown PK, Spangler DA, Haydon KD, Pettigrew JE. Effects of dietary supplementation of an enzyme blend on the ileal and fecal digestibility of nutrients in growing pigs. J Anim Sci. 2008;86:1533-43. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0262
- Jo JK, Ingale SL, Kim JS, Kim YW, Kim KH, Lohakare JD, et al. Effects of exogenous enzyme supplementation to corn- and soybean meal-based or complex diets on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, and blood metabolites in growing pigs. J Anim Sci. 2012;90:3041-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3430
- Guarner F, Schaafsma GJ. Probiotics. Int J Food Microbiol. 1998;39:237-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(97)00136-0
- Gaggia F, Mattarelli P, Biavati B. Probiotics and prebiotics in animal feeding for safe food production. Int J Food Microbiol. 2010;141 Suppl 1:S15-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2010.02.031
- Corthesy B, Gaskins HR, Mercenier A. Cross-talk between probiotic bacteria and the host immune system. J Nutr. 2007;137 Suppl 2:781S-90S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/137.3.781S
- Kenny M, Smidt H, Mengheri E, Miller B. Probiotics-do they have a role in the pig industry? Animal 2011;5:462-70. https://doi.org/10.1017/S175173111000193X
- Meng QW, Yan L, Ao X, Zhou TX, Wang JP, Lee JH, et al. Influence of probiotics in different energy and nutrient density diets on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, meat quality, and blood characteristics in growing-finishing pigs. J Anim Sci. 2010;88:3320-6. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2308
- Nousiainen J. Lactic acid bacteria as animal probiotics. In: Salminen S, von Wright A, editors. Lactic acid bacteria. New York, NS: Dekker; 1993. p.315-56.
- Shon KS, Hong JW, Kwon OS, Min BJ, Lee WB, Kim IH, et al. Effects of Lactobacillus reuteri-based direct-fed microbial supplementation for growing-finishing pigs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2005;18:370-4. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.370
- Chen YJ, Min BJ, Cho JH, Kwon OS, Son KS, Kim HJ, et al. Effects of dietary Bacillus-based probiotic on growth performance, nutrients digestibility, blood characteristics and fecal noxious gas content in finishing pigs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2006;19:587-92. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.587
- Fan G, Chang J, Yin Q, Wang X, Dang X. Effects of probiotics, oligosaccharides, and berberine combinations on growth performance of pigs. Turk J Vet Anim Sci. 2015;39:637-42. https://doi.org/10.3906/vet-1306-30
- Suryanarayana MV. Performance and total tract digestibility responses of probiotic, xylanase and phytase in the diets of grower pigs. J Agric sustain. 2013;2:86-97.
- Lei XJ, Cheong JY, Park JH, Kim IH. Supplementation of protease, alone and in combination with fructooligosaccharide to low protein diet for finishing pigs. Anim Sci J. 2017;88:1987-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12849
- O'Shea CJ, Mc Alpine PO, Solan P, Curran T, Varley PF, Walsh AM, et al. The effect of protease and xylanase enzymes on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, and manure odour in grower-finisher pigs. Anim Feed Sci Technol. 2014;189:88-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2013.11.012
- Chen YJ, Son KS, Min BJ, Cho JH, Kwon OS, Kim IH. Effects of dietary probiotic on growth performance, nutrients digestibility, blood characteristics and fecal noxious gas content in growing pigs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2005;18:1464-8. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1464
- Bohmer BM, Kramer W, Roth-Maier DA. Dietary probiotic supplementation and resulting effects on performance, health status, and microbial characteristics of primiparous sows. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr. 2006;90:309-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2005.00601.x
- Zamora V, Figueroa JL, Reyna L, Cordero JL, Sanchez-Torres MT, Martinez M. Growth performance, carcass characteristics and plasma urea nitrogen concentration of nursery pigs fed low-protein diets supplemented with glucomannans or protease. J Appl Anim Res. 2011;39:53-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2011.565217
- Mc Alpine PO, O'shea CJ, Varley PF, O'Doherty JV. The effect of protease and xylanase enzymes on growth performance and nutrient digestibility in finisher pigs. J Anim Sci. 2012;90 Suppl 4:375-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.53979
- Tactacan GB, Cho SY, Cho JH, Kim IH. Performance responses, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, and measures of gastrointestinal health in weanling pigs fed protease enzyme. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2016;29:998-1003. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0886
- Yan L, Kim IH. Effect of probiotics supplementation in diets with different nutrient densities on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, faecal microbial population and faecal noxious gas content in growing pigs. J Appl Anim Res. 2013;41:23-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2012.739092
- Min Y, Choi Y, Kim Y, Jeong Y, Kim D, Kim J, et al. Effects of protease supplementation on growth performance, blood constituents, and carcass characteristics of growing-finishing pigs. J Anim Sci Technol. 2019;61:234-8. https://doi.org/10.5187/jast.2019.61.4.234
- Burnham L. Growth performance and carcass characteristics of growing-finishing pigs fed diets containing peanut hulls, with or without added probiotic [Ph.D. Dissertation]. Lubbock, TX; Texas Tech University; 2004.
- Balasubramanian B, Li T, Kim IH. Effects of supplementing growing-finishing pig diets with Bacillus spp. probiotic on growth performance and meat-carcass grade qualitytraits. Braz J Anim Sci. 2016;45:93-100.
- Choe J, Kim KS, Kim HB, Park S, Kim J, Kim S, et al. Effect of protease on growth performance and carcass characteristics of growing-finishing pigs. S Afr J Anim Sci. 2017;47:697-703. https://doi.org/10.4314/sajas.v47i5.13