- Volume 61 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of stocker management program on beef cattle skeletal muscle growth characteristics, satellite cell activity, and paracrine signaling impact on preadipocyte differentiation
- Vaughn, Mathew A. (Texas Tech University Department of Animal and Food Sciences) ;
- Lancaster, Phillip A. (Oklahoma State University and Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station) ;
- Roden, Kelly C. (Texas Tech University Department of Animal and Food Sciences) ;
- Sharman, Evin D. (Oklahoma State University and Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station) ;
- Krehbiel, Clinton R. (Oklahoma State University and Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station) ;
- Horn, Gerald W. (Oklahoma State University and Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station) ;
- Starkey, Jessica D. (Texas Tech University Department of Animal and Food Sciences)
- Received : 2019.06.30
- Accepted : 2019.08.28
- Published : 2019.09.30
The objective of this study was to determine the effect of different stocker management programs on skeletal muscle development and growth characteristics, satellite cell (SC) activity in growing-finishing beef cattle as well as the effects of SC-conditioned media on preadipocyte gene expression and differentiation. Fall-weaned Angus steers (n = 76;
Beef stocker cattle;Dormant native range;Marbling development;Satellite cell activity;Skeletal muscle growth;Winter wheat pasture
- Anderson P. Optimum forage use in beef cattle growing and finishing diets. 1991. http://www.extension.umn.edu/beef/components/publications/bcmu18.pdf. Accessed 23 Aug 2011.
- Loken BA, Maddock RJ, Stamm MM, Schauer CS, Rush I, Quinn S, et al. Growing rate of gain on subsequent feedlot performance, meat, and carcass quality of beef steers. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:3791-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-1853
- Hersom MJ, Horn GW, Krehbiel CR, Phillips WA. Effect of live weight gain of steers during winter grazing: I. feedlot performance, carcass characteristics, and body composition of beef steers. J Anim Sci. 2004;82:262-72. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.821262x
- Anderson P, Gleghorn J. Non-genetic factors that affect quality grade of fed cattle. In: Proceedings Beef Improvement Federation 39th Annual Research Symposium and Annual Meeting; 2007; Fort Collins, CO..
- Seideman SC, Crouse JD. The effects of sex condition, genotype and diet on bovine muscle fiber characteristics. Meat Sci. 1986;17:55-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90083-5
- Vestergaard M, Therkildsen M, Henckel P, Jensen LR, Andersen HR, Sejrsen K. Influence of feeding intensity, grazing and finishing feeding on meat and eating quality of young bulls and the relationship between muscle fibre characteristics, fibre fragmentation and meat tenderness. Meat Sci. 2000;54:187-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00098-4
- Lehnert SA, Byrne KA, Reverter A, Nattrass GS, Greenwood PL, Wang YH, et al. Gene expression profiling of bovine skeletal muscle in response to and during recovery from chronic and severe undernutrition. J Anim Sci. 2006;84:3239-50. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-192
- Greenwood PL, Tomkins NW, Hunter RA, Allingham PG, Harden S, Harper GS. Bovine myofiber characteristics are influenced by postweaning nutrition. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:3114-23. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-1936
- Shibata M, Matsumoto K, Oe M, Ohnishi-Kameyama M, Ojima K, Nakajima I, et al. Differential expression of the skeletal muscle proteome in grazed cattle. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:2700-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1486
- Blumer TN, Craig HB, Pierce EA, Smart WWG Jr, Wise MB. Nature and variability of marbling deposits in longissimus dorsi muscle of beef carcasses. J Anim Sci. 1962;21:935-42. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1962.214935x
- Moody WG, Cassens RG. A quantitative and morphological study of bovine longissimus fat cells. J Food Sci. 1968;33:47-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1968.tb00882.x
- Melton C, Dikeman M, Tuma HJ, Schalles RR. Histological relationships of muscle biopsies to bovine meat quality and carcass composition. J Anim Sci. 1974;38:24-31. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1974.38124x
- Melton CC, Dikeman ME, Tuma HJ, Kropf DH. Histochemical relationships of muscle biopsies with bovine muscle quality and composition. J Anim Sci. 1975;40:451-6. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1975.403451x
- Moss FP, Leblond CP. Satellite cells as the source of nuclei in muscles of growing rats. Anat Rec. 1971;170:421-35. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.1091700405
- Harper GS, Pethick DW. How might marbling begin? Austr J Exp Ag. 2004;44:653-62. https://doi.org/10.1071/EA02114
- Sharman ED, Lancaster PA, McMurphy CP, Garmyn AJ, Pye BJ, Mafi GG, et al. Effect of rate of body weight gain in steers during the stocker phase. I. growth, partitioning of fat among depots, and carcass characteristics of growing-finishing beef cattle. J Anim Sci. 2013;91:4322-35. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5440
- Day K, Paterson B, Yablonka-Reuveni Z. A distinct profile of myogenic regulatory factor detection within Pax7+ cells at S phase supports a unique role of Myf5 during posthatch chicken myogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1001-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/dvdy.21903
- Day K, Shefer G, Richardson JB, Enikolopov G, Yablonka- Reuveni Z. Nestin-GFP reporter expression defines the quiescent state of skeletal muscle satellite cells. Dev Biol. 2007;304:246-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ydbio.2006.12.026
- Hathaway MR, Hembree JR, Pampusch MS, Dayton WR. Effect of transforming growth factor beta-1 on ovine satellite cell proliferation and fusion. J Cell Physiol. 1991;146:435-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.1041460314
- Frey RS, Johnson BJ, Hathaway MR, White ME, Dayton WR. Growth factor responsiveness of primary satellite cell cultures from steers implanted with trembolone acetate and estradiol-17beta. Basic Appl Myol. 1995;5:71-9.
- Johnson BJ, Halstead N, White ME, Hathaway MR, DiCostanzo A, Dayton WR. Activation state of muscle satellite cells isolated from steers implanted with a combined trenbolone acetate and estradiol implant. J Anim Sci. 1998;76:2779-86. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.76112779x
- Rozen S, Skaletsky H. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. Methods Mol Biol. 2000;132:365-86.
- Granfar RM, Day CJ, Kim MS, Morrison NA. Optimised real-time quantitative PCR assays for RANKL regulated genes. Mol Cell Probes. 2005;19:119-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcp.2004.10.003
- Taylor-Jones JM, McGehee RE, Rando TA, Lecka-Czernik B, Lipschitz DA, Peterson CA. Activation of an adipogenic program in adult myoblasts with age. Mech Ageing Dev. 2002;123:649-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0047-6374(01)00411-0
- Guan Y, Taylor-Jones JM, Peterson CA, McGehee RE Jr. p130/p107 expression distinguishes adipogenic potential in primary myoblasts based on age. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 2002;296:1340-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(02)02082-X
- Vandesompele J, De Preter K, Pattyn F, Poppe B, Van Roy N, De Paepe A, et al. Accurate normalization of real-time quantitative RT-PCR data by geometric averaging of multiple internal control genes. Genome Biol. 2002;3:research0034.
- Koopman R, Schaart G, Hesselink MK. Optimisation of oil red O staining permits combination with immunofluorescence and automated quantification of lipids. Histochem Cell Biol. 2001;116:63-8.
- Starkey JD, Yamamoto M, Yamamoto S, Goldhamer DJ. Skeletal muscle satellite cells are committed to myogenesis and do not spontaneously adopt nonmyogenic fates. J Histochem Cytochem. 2011;59:33-46. https://doi.org/10.1369/jhc.2010.956995
- Sharman ED, Lancaster PA, McMurphy CP, Mafi GG, Starkey JD, Krehbiel CR, et al. Effect of rate of body weight gain of steers during the stocker phase. II. visceral organ mass and body composition of growing-finishing beef cattle. J Anim Sci. 2013;91:2355-66. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5451
- Lancaster PA, Sharman ED, Horn GW, Krehbiel CR, Starkey JD. Effect of rate of weight gain of steers during the stocker phase. III. gene expression of adipose tissues and skeletal muscle in growing-finishing beef cattle. J Anim Sci. 2014;92:1462-72. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6976
- Lancaster PA, Sharman ED, Horn GW, Krehbiel CR, Dillwith JW, Starkey JD. Effect of rate of weight gain of steers during the stocker phase. IV. rumen fermentation characteristics and expression of genes involved in substrate utilization for fatty acid synthesis in adipose tissues of growing-finishing beef cattle. J Anim Sci. 2015;93:3055-65. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-8827
- Ridenour KW, Kiesling HE, Lofgreen GP, Stiffler DM. Feedlot performance and carcass characteristics of beef steers grown and finished under different nutrition and management programs. J Anim Sci. 1982;54:1115-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1982.5461115x
- Choat WT, Krehbiel CR, Duff GC, Kirksey RE, Lauriault LM, Rivera JD, et al. Influence of grazing dormant native range or winter wheat pasture on subsequent finishing cattle performance, carcass characteristics, and ruminal metabolism. J Anim Sci. 2003;81:3191-201. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.81123191x
- Rosen ED, Walkey CJ, Puigserver P, Spiegelman BM. Transcriptional regulation of adipogenesis. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1293-307.
- Smith SB, Crouse JD. Relative contributions of acetate, lactate and glucose to lipogenesis in bovine intramuscular and subcutaneous adipose tissue. J Nutr. 1984;114:792-800. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/114.4.792
- Yates DT, Macko AR, Nearing M, Chen X, Rhoads RP, Limesand SW. Developmental programming in response to intrauterine growth restriction impairs myoblast function and skeletal muscle metabolism. J Pregnancy. 2012;2012:631038.
- Yan X, Zhu MJ, Dodson MV, Du M. Developmental programming of fetal skeletal muscle and adipose tissue development. J Genomics. 2013;1:29-38. https://doi.org/10.7150/jgen.3930