- Volume 19 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
An Object Selection Method through Adaptive Casting in Immersive Virtual Reality
몰입 가상현실 환경에서 적응형 캐스팅을 통한 객체 선택 방법
- Received : 2019.08.19
- Accepted : 2019.09.10
- Published : 2019.09.28
In the immersive virtual reality environment, we can select and manipulate various virtual objects. in order to select a virtual object, we generally use Ray-casting method that fires a virtual line in user's view and selects an object when the line and the object match, or Cone-casting method that is widely used to select multiple objects at the same time. However, since the virtual objects used in CAD are composed of small and complex objects in detail, when selecting an object in the user's view by existing methods, there occurs a ambiguity problem that needs additional realignment operation even though an object is selected as a group. in this paper, even if a virtual object is composed of several small virtual objects, it calculates the spatial and logical relationship among objects and expands or shrinks desired objects, so that the user can quickly and accurately select a desired object. in order to evaluate the proposed method, performance comparison were performed using Our and Ray-Casting and Cone-Casting methods. Experimental results show that the proposed method has the fastest speed and the highest accuracy when selecting the desired objects.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- F. Argelaguet and C. Andujar, "A survey of 3D object selection techniques for virtual environments," Computers & Graphics, Vol.37 No.3, pp.121-136, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cag.2012.12.003
- S. Decherchi and Walter Rocchia, "A general and Robust Ray-Casting-Based Algorithm for Triangulating Surfaces at the Nanoscale," PLoS ONE, Vol.8, No.4, p.e59744, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1371/jour nal.pone.0059744 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0059744
- H. Ro, J. H. Byun, Y. J. Park, N. K. Lee, and T. D. Han, "AR Pointer: Advanced Ray-Casting Interface Using Laser Pointer Metaphor for Object Manipulation in 3D Augmented Reality Environment," Appl. Sci., Vol.2019, No.9, p.3078, 2019. doi:10.3390/app9153078 https://doi.org/10.3390/app9153078
- L. Chittar and R. Sioni, "Selecting Menu Items in Mobile Head-Mounted Displays: Effects of Selection Techniqueand Active Area," Int. J. Hum. Comput. Interact, Vol.2018, pp.1-16, 2018.
- A. Steed and C. Parker, "3D selection strategies for head tracked and non-head tracked operation of spatially immersive displays," In 8th International Immersive Projection Technology Workshop, pp.13-14, 2004.
- R. Kopper, F. Bacim, and D. A. Bowman, "Rapid and Accurate 3D Selection by Progressive Refinement," IEEE 3DUI 2011, pp.67-74, 2011.
- F. Argelaguet and C. Andujar, "Efficient 3D pointing selection in cluttered virtual environments," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.29, No.6, pp.34-43, 2009.
- A. Olwal and S. Feiner, "The Flexible Pointer: An Interaction Technique for Selection in Augmented and Virtual Reality," ACM UIST 2003, pp.82-82, 2003.
- J. D. Hincapie Ramos, K. Ozacar, P. P. Irani, and Y. Kitamura, "GyroWand: IMU-based Raycasting for Augmented Reality Head-Mounted Displays," ACM SUI 2015, pp.89-98, 2015.
- J. Liang and M. Green, "Jdcad: A highly interactive 3D modeling system," In 3rd International Conference on CAD and Computer Graphics, pp.217-222, 1993.
- L. Vanacken, T. Grossman, and K. Coninx, "Exploring the effects of environment density and target visibility on object selection in 3D virtual environments," 2007 IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces, pp.117-124, 2007.
- 오주영, 이준, 허환, 이중호, 박지형, "시선추적과 손동작 인식을 이용한 겹쳐진 가상 객체 선택 방법," 2016한국 HCI 학술대회, 2016.
- J. Lee, J. H. Park, J. Y. Oh, and J. H. Lee, "Fast and Accurate 3D Selection using Proxy with Spatial Relationship for Immersive Virtual Environments," 2016 Symposium on Spatial User Interaction, p.209, 2016.
- 오주영, 이준, "몰입 가상현실 환경에서 겹쳐진 가상객체들의 효율적인 선택을 위한 펼침 시각화를 통한 객체선택 방법," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제18권, 제3호, pp.11-19, 2018. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2018.18.03.011
- M. Tang, S. C. Chou, and J. X. Dong, "Conflicts classification and solving for collaborative feature modeling," Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol.21, No.2, pp.211-219, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aei.2006.05.006