- Volume 19 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Impacts of the Interaction between Gain/loss Framing and Pre-attitude on the Processing of International Relief Messages
이익/손실 프레이밍과 사전 태도가 상호작용하여 국제구호 메시지의 효과에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2019.07.01
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.09.28
Messages to help people far away, such as International relief campaign, are heavily influenced by situational factors. In this light, the study examined whether the message characteristics (gain/loss framing) and the individual characteristics (previous attitude to helping activity) interact to affect the message attitude and behavioral intention. The study was conducted by an experiment involving 220 subjects. The analysis resulted in the significant interactions between gain/loss framing and pre-attitude by the same direction for message attitudes and behavioral intention. It was shown that gain framing worked more effectively for the relatively more friendly group towards helping activities than for the less friendly one. The same direction was shown in the loss framing, but its difference was smaller. The process of the interactions appeared as mediated by anticipated satisfaction. The practical and theoretical implications were discussed for proper planning of messages to help others.
International Relief Activity;Gain/loss Framing;Pre-attitude;Anticipated Satisfaction
- S. Y. Park, and M. Cho, "Celebrity Endorsement for Nonprofit Organizations: The Role of Celebrity Motive Attribution and Spontaneous Judgment of Celebrity-cause Incongruence," J. of Promotion Management, Vol.21, No.2, pp.224-245, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/10496491.2014.996802
- 김성학, 이승조, "자존감과 보상 유형의 상호작용이 국제구호 캠페인의 효과에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제16권, 제9호, pp.638-648, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.09.638
- 백혜림, 이승조, "사전 태도와 이성적/감성적 소구 유형이 장애인 돕기 캠페인의 반응에 미치는 영향," 언론과학연구, 제14권, 제2호, pp.157-183, 2014.
- A. Erlandsson, A. Nilsson, and D. Vastfjall, "Attitudes and Donation Behavior When Reading Positive and Negative Charity Appeals," J. of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing, Vol.30, No.4, pp.444-474, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1080/10495142.2018.1452828
- D. C. Feiler, L. P. Tost, and A. M. Grant, "Mixed Reasons, Missed Givings: The Costs of Blending Egoistic and Altruistic Reasons in Donation Requests," J. of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.48, No.6, pp.1322-1328, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2012.05.014
- M. Randle, L. Miller, J. Stirling, and S. Dolnicar, "Framing Advertisements to Elicit Positive Emotions and Attract Foster Carers: An Investigation into the Effects of Advertising on High-cognitive-elaboration Donations," J. of Advertising Research, Vol.56, No.4, pp.456-469, 2016. https://doi.org/10.2501/JAR-2016-049
- K. M. Gallagher and J. A. Updegraff, "Health Message Framing Effects on Attitudes, Intentions, and Behavior: A Meta-analytic Review," Annals of Behavioral Medicine, Vol.43, No.1, pp.101-116, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-011-9308-7
- C. T. Chang and Y. K. Lee, "Framing Charity Advertising: Influences of Message Framing, Image Valence, and Temporal Framing on a Charitable Appeal," J. of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.39, No.12, pp.2910-2935, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2009.00555.x
- X. Cao, "Framing Charitable Appeals: The Effect of Message Framing and Perceived Susceptibility to the Negative Consequences of Inaction on Donation Intention," International J. of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, Vol.21, No.1, pp.3-12, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/nvsm.1536
- A. Nilsson, A. Erlandsson, and D. Vastfjall, "The Congruency Between Moral Foundations and Intentions to Donate, Self-reported Donations, and Actual Donations to Charity," J. of Research in Personality, Vol.65, pp.22-29, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2016.07.001
- J. A. Updegraff, C. Brick, A. S. Emanuel, R. E. Mintzer, and D. K. Sherman, "Message Framing for Health: Moderation by Perceived Susceptibility and Motivational Orientation in a Diverse Sample of Americans," Health Psychology, Vol.34, No.1, pp.20-29, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1037/hea0000101
- R. Bekkers, "Traditional and Health-related Philanthropy: The Role of Resources and Personality," Social Psychology Quarterly, Vol.69, No.4, pp.349-366, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/019027250606900404
- K. M. White, B. E. Poulsen, and M. K. Hyde, "Identity and Personality Influences on Donating Money, Time, and Blood," Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, Vol.46, No.2, pp.372-394, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1177/0899764016654280
- J. F. Dovidio, J. A. Piliavin, D. A. Schroeder, and L. A. Penner, The Social Psychology of Prosocial Behavior, Psychology Press, 2017.
- E. S. Jeong, Y. Shi, A. Baazova, C. Chiu, A. Nahai, W. G. Moons, and S. E. Taylor, "The Relation of Approach/Avoidance Motivation and Message Framing to the Effectiveness of Charitable Appeals," Social Influence, Vol.6, No.1, pp.15-21, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/15298868.2010.524369
- C. E. Cryder, G. Loewenstein, and H. Seltman, "Goal gradient in helping behavior," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.49, No.6, pp.1078-1083, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2013.07.003
- M. Conner, G. Godin, P. Sheeran, and M. Germain, "Some feelings are more important: Cognitive attitudes, affective attitudes, anticipated affect, and blood donation," Health Psychology, Vol.32, No.3, pp.264-272, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0028500
- 홍은숙, 이화숙, "청소년의 자원봉사활동 경험이 진로의식 성숙에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제11호, pp.137-153, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.11.137
- A. F. Hayes, Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis: A Regression-Based Approach, Guilford Publications, 2013.