- Volume 19 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Interorganizational Information System Asymmetry and Supply Chain Performance
조직간 정보시스템 비대칭과 공급망 성과
- Received : 2019.07.23
- Accepted : 2019.09.02
- Published : 2019.09.28
Notwithstanding the big potential benefits from interorganizational information systems (IOS), not very many companies have realized these benefits. In an attempt to explain this phenomenon, this study proposes a new construct of IOS asymmetry which refers to the asymmetry in information transparency between supply chain (SC) partners. When there is IOS asymmetry in SC relationships, IOS may not facilitate seamless information exchange among SC partners. Instead, IOS asymmetry may result in SC inefficiencies due to a lack of information sharing. The objective of this study is to empirically investigate whether IOS asymmetry exists in practice and whether it influences SC performance negatively. The data was collected from 130 matched pairs of upstream SC partners in manufacturing industries. The results show that IOS asymmetry indeed decreases overall SC performance. Also, the relationship between IOS asymmetry and SC performance is strengthened under the conditions of high environmental uncertainty.
Interorganizational Information System Asymmetry;Information Sharing;Environmental Uncertainty;Supply Chain Performance
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- National Institute of Standards & Technology Economic impact of inadequate infrastructure for supply chain integration, 2004.
- J. Y. Bakos, "A strategic analysis of electronic marketplaces," MIS Quarterly, Vol.15, No.3, pp.295-310, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/249641
- J. Dedrick and K. L. Kraemer, "Impacts of internal and interorganizational information systems on the outsourcing of manufacturing," Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol.19, No.2, pp.78-95, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsis.2010.02.002
- K. Zhu, "Information transparency of business-to-business electronic markets: A game-theoretic analysis," Management Science, Vol.50, No.5, pp.670-685, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1040.0226
- W. Orlikowski and J. Baroudi, "Studying information technology in organizations: Research approaches and assumptions," Information Systems Research, Vol.2, No.1, pp.1-28, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.2.1.1
- K. Kumar and H. G. van Dissel, "Sustainable collaboration: Managing conflict and cooperation in interorganizational systems," MIS Quarterly, Vol.20, No.3, pp.279-300, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/249657
- K. Kim, S. Y. Ryoo, and M. D. Jung, "Inter-organizational information systems visibility in buyer-supplier relationships: The case of telecommunication equipment component manufacturing industry," Omega, Vol.39, No.6, pp.667-676, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2011.01.008
- T. Casciaro and M. Piskorski, "Power imbalance, mutual dependence, and constraint absorption: A closer look at resource dependence theory," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.50, No.2, pp.167-199, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.2005.50.2.167
- R. M. Emerson, "Power-dependence relations," American Sociological Review, Vol.27, No.1, pp.31-41, 1962. https://doi.org/10.2307/2089716
- M. Reinholt and T. Pedersen, "Why a central network position isn't enough: The role of motivation and ability for knowledge sharing in employee networks," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.54, No.6, pp.1277-1297, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.0007
- W. S. Chow, C. N. Madu, C. H. Kuei, M. H. Lu, C. Lin, and H. Tseng, "Supply chain management in the us and taiwan: An empirical study," Omega, Vol.36, No.5, pp.665-679, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2006.01.001
- P. Pavlou, L. Huigang, and X. Yajiong, "Understanding and mitigating uncertainty in online exchange relationships: A principal--agent perspective," MIS Quarterly, Vol.31, No.1, pp.105-136, 2005.
- V. Arnold, T. Benford, C. Hampton, and S. G. Sutton, "Competing pressures of risk and absorptive capacity potential on commitment and information sharing in global supply chains," European Journal of Information Systems, Vol.19, No.2, pp.134-152, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2009.49
- K. M. Eisenhardt, "Agency theory: An assessment and review," The Academy of Management Review, Vol.14, No.1, pp.57-74, 1989. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1989.4279003
- P. Weill and M. Vitale, "What it infrastructure capabilities are needed to implement e-business models?," MIS Quarterly Executive, Vol.1, No.1, pp.17-34, 2002.
- A. Takeishi, "Knowledge partitioning in the interfirm division of labor: The case of automotive product development," Organization Science, Vol.13, No.3, pp.321-338, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.13.3.321.2779
- J. Webster, "Networks of collaboration or conflict? Electronic data interchange and power in the supply chain," Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol.4, No.1, pp.31-42, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0963-8687(95)80013-G
- J. M. Drees and P. P. Heugens, "Synthesizing and extending resource dependence theory: A meta-analysis," Journal of Management, Vol.39, No.6, pp.1385-1396, 2013.
- C. Oliver, "Network relations and loss of organizational autonomy," Human Relations, Vol.44, No.9, pp.943-961, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679104400903
- R. Sousa and C. A. Voss, "Contingency research in operations management practices," Journal of Operations Management, Vol.26, No.6, pp.697-713, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2008.06.001
- X. A. Koufteros, M. Vonderembse, and J. Jayaram, "Internal and external integration for product development: The contingency effects of uncertainty, equivocality, and platform strategy," Decision Sciences, Vol.36, No.1, pp.97-133, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2005.00067.x
- C. Y. Wong, S. Boon-itt, and C. W. Y. Wong, "The contingency effects of environmental uncertainty on the relationship between supply chain integration and operational performance," Journal of Operations Management, Vol.29, No.6, pp.604-615, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2011.01.003
- G. P. Huber and R. Daft, The information environments of organizations, in F. Jablin, L. Putnam, K. Roberts, and L. Porter, ed., Handbook of organization communication, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, pp.130-164, 1987.
- K. Kim, S. H. Park, S. Y. Ryoo, and S. K. Park, "Inter-organizational cooperation in buyer-supplier relationships: Both perspectives," Journal of Business Research, Vol.63, No.8, pp.863-869, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.04.028
- D. Miller, "The structural and environmental correlates of business strategy," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.8, No.1, pp.55-78, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250080106
- M. Tushman and D. Nadler, "Information processing as an integrating concept in organizational design," Academy of Management Review, Vol.3, No.3, pp.613-624, 1978.
- S. Ryu and N. Eyuboglu, "The environment and its impact on satisfaction with supplier performance: An investigation of the mediating effects of control mechanisms from the perspective of the manufacturer in the U.S.A.," Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.36, No.4, pp.458-469, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.12.006
- J. H. Dyer and H. Singh, "The relational view: Cooperative strategy and sources of interorganizational competitive advantage," Academy of Management Review, Vol.23, No.4. pp.660-679, 1998. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1998.1255632
- O. E. Williamson, Markets and hierarchies: Analysis and antitrust implications. New York: Free Press, 1975.
- A. Zaheer, B. McEvily, and V. Perrone, "Does trust matter? Exploring the effects of interorganizational and interpersonal trust on performance," Organization Science, Vol.9, No.2, pp.141-159, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.9.2.141
- R. M. Morgan and S. D. Hunt, "The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing," Journal of Marketing, Vol.58, No.3, pp.20-38, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299405800202
- R. D. Putnam, Making democracy work: Civic traditions in modern italy, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1993.
- M. G. Colombo and R. Mosconi, "Complementarity and cumulative learning effects in the early diffusion of multiple technologies," The Journal of Industrial Economics, Vol.43, No.1, pp.13-48, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/2950423
- R. Klein and A. Rai, "Interfirm strategic information flows in logistics supply chain relationships," MIS Quarterly, Vol.33, No.4, pp.735-762, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650325
- S. D. Jap and E. Anderson, "Safeguarding interorganizational performance and continuity under expost opportunism," Management Science, Vol.49, No.12, pp.1684-1701, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.12.1684.25112
- C. Lages, C. R. Lages, and L. F. Lages, "The relqual scale: A measure of relationship quality in export market ventures," Journal of Business Research, Vol.58, No.8, pp.1040-1048, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2004.03.001
- H. Lee and S. Whang, "Information sharing in a supply chain," International Journal of Technology Management, Vol.20, No.3/4, pp.373-387, 2000.
- L. Poppo, K. Z. Zhou, and S. Ryu, "Alternative origins to interorganizational trust: An interdependence perspective on the shadow of the past and the shadow of the future," Organization Science, Vol.19, No.1, pp.39-55, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1070.0281
- S. Y. X. Komiak and I. Benbasat, "The effects of personalization and familiarity on trust and adoption of recommendation agents," MIS Quarterly, Vol.30, No.4, pp.941-960, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148760
- H. McKnight, L. L. Cummings, and N. Chervany, "Initial trust formation in new organizational relationships," Academy of Management Review, Vol.23, No.3, pp.473-490, 1998. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1998.926622
- V. Grover and K. A. Saeed, "The impact of product, market, and relationship characteristics on interorganizational system integration in manufacturer-supplier dyads," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.23, No.4, pp.185-216, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222230409
- Y. Luo, "Structuring interorganizational cooperation: The role of economic integration in strategic alliances," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.29, No.6, pp.617-637, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.677
- D. Gefen, D. W. Straub, and M. Boudreau, "Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research practice," Communications of the AIS, Vol.4, No.7, pp.1-79, 2000.
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. MacKenzie, L. Jeong-Yeon, and N. P. Podsakoff, "Common method biases in behavioral research: A critical review of the literature and recommended remedies," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.88, No.5, pp.879-903, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- P. M. Podsakoff and D. W. Organ, "Self-reports in organizational research: Problems and prospects," Journal of Management, Vol.12, No.4, pp.531-544, 1986.
- P. Pavlou and O. El Sawy, "From it leveraging competence to competitive advantage in turbulent environments: The case of new product development," Information Systems Research, Vol.17, No.3, pp.198-227, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1060.0094
- J. J. P. Hsieh, A. Rai, and M. Keil, "Understanding digital inequality: Comparing continued use behavioral models of the socio-economically advantaged and disadvantaged," MIS Quarterly, Vol.32, No.1, pp.97-126, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148830
- T. A. Carte and C. J. Russell, "In pursuit of moderation: Nine common errors and their solutions," MIS Quarterly, Vol.27, No.3, pp.479-501, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036541
- W. Chin, "Frequently asked questions partial least squares & pls-graph,"(available online at http://disc-nt.cba.uh.edu/chin/plsfaq/plsfaq.htm, 2004.
- J. Rodon and F. Sese, "Analysing iois adoption through structural contradictions," European Journal of Information Systems, Vol.19, No.6, pp.637-648, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2010.44
- R. Gulati and M. Sytch, "Dependence asymmetry and joint dependence in interorganizational relationships: Effects of embeddedness on a manufacturer's performance in procurement relationships," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.52, No.1, pp.32-69, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.52.1.32
- S. W. O'Leary-Kelly and B. E. Flores, "The integration of manufacturing and marketing/sales decisions: Impact on organizational performance," Journal of Operations Management, Vol.20, No.3, pp.221-240, 2001.
- V. G. Narayanan and A. Raman, "Aligning incentives in supply chains," Harvard Business Review, Vol.82, No.11, pp.94-102, 2004.
- D. P. Mishra, J. B. Heide, and S. G. Cort, "Information asymmetry and levels of agency relationships," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.35, No.3, pp.277-295, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379803500301