- Volume 19 Issue 9
There has been a large literature on bank liquidity risk since the 2008 global financial crisis because liquidity risk was at the heart of the crisis. However, there is no study that investigates whether the level of investor protection influences liquidity risk-taking behavior of banks. Therefore, this study aims to explore the relationship between investor protection and liquidity risk as well as to provide policy implications. Using a panel dataset of commercial banks in 21 OECD countries, we found that strong investor protection encourages banks to take lower liquidity risk. Furthermore, this positive role of shareholder protection is more prominent during a crisis, implying that legal protection of investors plays an essential role in bank stability while market discipline is largely ineffective due to extensive government guarantees in turbulent times.
Financial Institutions;Liquidity Risk;Investor Protection;Financial Crisis;Law and Finance
- M. K. Brunnermeier, "Deciphering the liquidity and credit crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol.23, No.1, pp.77-100, 2009.
- D. W. Diamond and R. G. Rajan, "The credit crisis: Conjectures about causes and remedies," American Economic Review, Vol.99, No.2, pp.606-610, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.99.2.606
- T. Adrian and H. S. Shin, "Liquidity and leverage," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Vol.19, No.3, pp.418-437, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfi.2008.12.002
- V. Ivashina and D. Scharfstein, "Bank lending during the financial crisis of 2008," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.97, No.3, pp.319-338, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2009.12.001
- F. Ippolito, H. Almeida, A. P. Orive, and V. Acharya, "Bank lines of credit as contingent liquidity: Covenant violations and their implications," Journal of Financial Intermediation, In press, 2019.
- J. Kim, "Bank competition and financial stability: Liquidity risk perspective," Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol.36, No.2, pp.337-362, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1111/coep.12243
- L. Jiang, R. Levine, and C. Lin, "Competition and bank liquidity creation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol.54, No.2, pp.513-538, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022109018000820
- A. Beltratti and R. M. Stulz, "The credit crisis around the globe: Why did some banks perform better?," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.105, pp.1-17, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2011.12.005
- J. H. Boyd and H. Hakenes, "Looting and risk shifting in banking crises," Journal of Economic Theory, Vol.149, pp.43-64, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jet.2012.10.001
- M. J. Flannery and S. M. Sorescu, "Evidence of bank market discipline in subordinated debenture yields: 1983-1991," Journal of Finance, Vol.51, pp.1347-1377, 1996.
- C. H. Furfine, "Banks as monitors of other banks: Evidence from the overnight federal funds market," Journal of Business, Vol.74, No.1, pp.33-57, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1086/209662
- T. B. King, "Discipline and liquidity in the interbank market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol.40, No.2-3, pp.295-317, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-4616.2008.00114.x
- D. W. Diamond and P. H. Dybvig, "Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity," Journal of Political Economy, pp.401-419, 1983.
- M. M. Cornett, J. J. McNutt, P. E. Strahan, and H. Tehranian, "Liquidity risk management and credit supply in the financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.101, pp.297-312, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2011.03.001
- E. Farhi and J. Tirole, "Collective moral hazard, maturity mismatch, and systemic bailouts," American Economic Review, Vol.102, pp.60-93, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.102.1.60
- S. Johnson, P. Boone, A. Breach, and E. Friedman, "Corporate governance in the Asian financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.58, pp.141-186, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-405X(00)00069-6
- S. Djankov, R. La Porta, F. Lopez-de-Silanes, and A. Shleifer, "The law and economics of self-dealing," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.88, pp.430-465, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2007.02.007
- W. Wagner, "Financial development and the opacity of banks," Economics Letters, Vol.97, pp.6-10, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2007.02.006
- C. Stephanou, "Rethinking market discipline in banking: Lessons from the financial crisis," World Bank, Policy Research Working Paper 5227, 2010.
- D. Min, "Understanding the failures of market discipline," Washington University Law Review, Vol.92, No.6, pp.1421-1500, 2014.
- G. A. Akerlof, P. M. Romer, R. E. Hall, and N. G. Mankiw, "Looting: The economic underworld of bankruptcy for profit," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Vol.2, pp.1-73, 1993.
- M. S. Martinez Peria and S. L. Schmukler, "Do depositors punish banks for bad behavior? Market discipline, deposit insurance, and banking crises," Journal of Finance, Vol.56, No.3, pp.1029-1051, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.00354
- R. La Porta, F. Lopez-de-Silanes, A. Shleifer, and R. Vishny, "Law and finance," Journal of Political Economy, Vol.106, pp.1113-1155, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1086/250042
- J. Bryant, "A model of reserves, bank runs, and deposit insurance," Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol.4, No.4, pp.335-344, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4266(80)90012-6
- E. Gatev, T. Schuermann, and P. E. Strahan, "Managing bank liquidity tisk: How deposit-loan synergies vary with market conditions," Review of Financial Studies, Vol.22, No.3, pp.995-1020, 2007.
- B. Imbierowicz and C. Rauch, "The relationship between liquidity risk and credit risk in banks," Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol.40, pp.242-256, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2013.11.030
- S. Bhattacharya and A. V. Thakor, "Contemporary banking theory," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Vol.3, No.1, pp.2-50, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfin.1993.1001
- A. N. Berger and C. H. Bouwman, "Bank liquidity creation," Review of Financial Studies, Vol.22, pp.3779-3837, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1093/rfs/hhn104
- M. O'hara and W. Shaw, "Deposit insurance and wealth effects: the value of being "too big to fail"," Journal of Finance, Vol.45, No.5, pp.1587-1600, 1990.
- G. Afonso, J. A. Santos, and J. Traina, "Do 'Too-Big-To-Fail' banks take on more tisk?," Journal of Financial Perspectives, Vol.3, No.2, pp.1-29, 2015.
- L. Marques, R. Correa, and H. Sapriza, "Government support, regulation, and risk taking in the banking sector," Journal of Banking and Finance, In press, 2018.
- M. C. Keeley, "Deposit insurance, risk, and market power in banking," American Economic Review, pp.1183-1200, 1990.
- J. H. Boyd and G. D. Nicolo, "The theory of bank risk taking and competition revisited," Journal of Finance, Vol.60, No.3, pp.1329-1343, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2005.00763.x
- G. Jimenez, J. A. Lopez, and J. Saurina, "How does competition affect bank risk-taking?," Journal of Financial Stability, Vol.9, No.2, pp.185-195, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfs.2013.02.004
- N. H. Anderson and J. Shanteau, "Weak inference with linear models," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.84, No.6, pp.1155-1170, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.84.6.1155
- R. A. Berk, Regression analysis: A constructive critique(Vol.11), Sage, 2004.