- Volume 19 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Consumers' Value-in-Behavior and Practice of Pro-social Consumption: Focused on Moderating Effect of Social Capital
친사회적 소비에 대한 소비자의 행동적 가치인식과 실천행동: 사회적 자본의 조절효과를 중심으로
- 황혜선 (성균관대학교 소비자가족학과)
- Received : 2019.05.27
- Accepted : 2019.06.13
- Published : 2019.09.28
This study examined the effects of value-in-behavior toward pro-social consumption behavior on consumers' pro-social practices and the moderating effects of consumer's social capital based on trust and reciprocity that enhances collective actions to seek socially common values. The result showed that the value-in-behavior toward pro-social consumption was positive in general, and altruistic value was the highest, followed by emotional value, social value, and functional value. The pro-social behaviors of age groups were significantly different. In all pro-social behaviors, the older group was more active, except for the rejection of the unfair business. The result also showed that the functional value and emotional value have significant effects on consumer's pro-social practices. The interaction effects between trust and emotional value and between reciprocity and functional value were significant. Based on these results, the theoretical and practical implications for facilitating the transition to the direction of consumer's role in making positive social impacts.
Sustainable Society;Pro-social Consumption;Value-in-behavior;Social Capital
Supported by : 성균관대학교
- A. Buerke, T. Straatmann, N. Lin-Hi, and K. Muller, "Consumer awareness and sustainability-focused value orientation as motivating factors of responsible consumer behavior," Review of Managerial Science, Vol.11, No.4, pp.959-991, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11846-016-0211-2
- A. Schaefer and A. Crane, "Addressing sustainability and consumption," J. of macromarketing, Vol.25, No.1, pp.76-92, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/0276146705274987
- S. Vitell, "A case for consumer social responsibility (CnSR): Including a selected review of consumer ethics/social responsibility research," J. of Business Ethics, Vol.130, No.4, pp.767-774, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2110-2
- R. Caruana and A. Crane, "Constructing consumer responsibility: Exploring the role of corporate communications," Organization Studies, Vol.29, No.12, pp.1495-1519, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0170840607096387
- R. Caruana and A. Chatzidakis, "Consumer social responsibility (CnSR): Toward a multi-level, multi-agent conceptualization of the "other CSR"," J. of business ethics, Vol.121, No.4, pp.577-592, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-013-1739-6
- A. Crane and D. Matten, "Corporate citizenship: Missing the point or missing the boat? A reply to van Oosterhout," Academy of Management Review, Vol.30, No.4, pp.681-684, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2005.18378872
- F. Webster, "Determining the characteristics of the socially conscious consumer," J. of consumer research, Vol.2, No.3, pp.188-196, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1086/208631
- J. Nilsson, "Investment with a conscience: Examining the impact of pro-social attitudes and perceived financial performance on socially responsible investment behavior," J. of Business Ethics, Vol.83, No.2, pp.307-325, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9621-z
- S. Wagner, Understanding green consumer behaviour: A qualitative cognitive approach, Routledge, 2002.
- 김기옥, 정순희, 허경옥, 김혜선, 시장경제와 소비자, 교문사, 2012.
- 이승신, 김기옥, 김경자, 심영, 정순희, 신정, 가계경제분석, 신정, 2003.
- B. Nath, "A heuristic for setting effective standards to ensure global environmental sustainability," Environment, development and sustainability, Vol.10, No.4, pp.471-486, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-006-9075-y
- J. French and R. Gordon, Strategic social marketing, Sage, 2015.
- R. Gordon, S. Dibb, C. Magee, P. Cooper, and G. Waitt, "Empirically testing the concept of value-in-behavior and its relevance for social marketing," J. of Business Research, Vol.82, pp.56-67, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.08.035
- P. Adler and S. Kwon, "Social capital: Prospects for a new concept," Academy of management review, Vol.27, No.1, pp.17-40, 2002. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2002.5922314
- R. D. Putnam, "Tuning in, tuning out: The strange disappearance of social capital in America," PS: Political science & politics, Vol.28, No.4, pp.664-683, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049096500058856
- 윤각, 이은주, "기업의 사회적 책임 (CSR) 과 공유가치창출 (CSV) 의 효과에 관한 연구: 자기효능감과 관여도를 중심으로," 광고학연구, 제25권, 제2호, pp.53-72, 2014.
- 홍연금, 송인숙, "우리나라 윤리적 소비자에 대한 사례연구," 소비문화연구, 제13권, 제2호, pp.1-25, 2010.
- L. Manning, "Corporate and consumer social responsibility in the food supply chain," British Food Journal, Vol.115, No.1, pp.9-29, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070701311289858
- P. Rana, J. Platts, and M. Gregory, "Exploration of corporate social responsibility (CSR) in multinational companies within the food industry," Queen's Discussion Paper Series on Corporate Responsibility Research, No.2, pp.1-32, 2009.
- J. Elkington, "Enter the triple bottom line," The triple bottom line, Routledge, pp.23-38, 2013.
- J. Elkington and J. Hailes, The green consumer guide: from shampoo to champagne; high-street shopping for a better environment, Gollancz, 1988.
- S. Evans, D. Vladimirova, M. Holgado, K. Van Fossen, M. Yang, E. Silva, and C. Barlow, "Business model innovation for sustainability: Towards a unified perspective for creation of sustainable business models," Business Strategy and the Environment, Vol.26, No.5, pp.597-608, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1002/bse.1939
- M. DeVincenzo and D. Scammon, "Principle-based consumption communities: Exploring the meanings derived from socially conscious consumption practices," J. of Public Policy & Marketing, Vol.34, No.2, pp.143-155, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1509/jppm.13.021
- L. Mohr, D. Webb, and K. Harris, "Do consumers expect companies to be socially responsible? The impact of corporate social responsibility on buying behavior," J. of Consumer Affairs, Vol.35, No.1, pp.45-72, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2001.tb00102.x
- T. Osterhus, "Pro-social consumer influence strategies: when and how do they work?," J. of marketing, Vol.61, No.4, pp.16-29, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299706100402
- J. A, Roberts, Sex differences in socially responsible consumers' behavior, Psychol Rep, Vol.73, No.1, pp.139-148, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.206
- S. Romani and S. Grappi, "How companies' good deeds encourage consumers to adopt pro-social behavior," European J. of Marketing, Vol.48, No.5/6, pp.943-963, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-06-2012-0364
- D. Webb, L. Mohr, and K. Harris, "A re-examination of socially responsible consumption and its measurement," J. of Business Research, Vol.61, No.2, pp.91-98, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.05.007
- C. Bratt, "Consumers' Environmental Behavior: Generalized, sector-based, or compensatory?," Environment and Behavior, Vol.31, No.1, pp.28-44, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/00139169921971985
- P. Kotler, S. Saliba, and B. Wrenn, Marketing Management: Analysis, Planning, and Control: Instructor's Manual, Prentice-hall, 1991.
- 박상준, 변지연, "소비자의 기업평가에 있어서 기업과 소비자의 사회적 책임활동의 상호작용효과," 경영과학, 제29권, 제2호, pp.127-141, 2012.
- M. Phipps, L. Ozanne, M. Luchs, S. Subrahmanyan, S. Kapitan, J. Catlin, ... and T. Weaver, "Understanding the inherent complexity of sustainable consumption: A social cognitive framework," J. of Business Research, Vol.66, No.8, pp.1227-1234, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2012.08.016
- D. McKenzie‐Mohr, L. Nemiroff, L. Beers, and S. Desmarais, "Determinants of responsible environmental behavior," J. of Social Issues, Vol.51, No.4, pp.139-156, 1995.
- 심영, "소비자의 사회적 책임에 관한 연구," 소비자학 연구, 제20권, 제2호, pp.81-119, 2009.
- M. Carrigan and A. Attalla, "The myth of the ethical consumer-do ethics matter in purchase behaviour?," J. of Consumer Marketing, Vol.18, No.7, pp.560-578, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363760110410263
- A. Crane, "Marketing and the natural environment: What role for morality?," J. of Macromarketing, Vol.20, pp.144-154, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0276146700202004
- R. Cowe and S. Williams, Who are the Ethical Consumers? Co-Operative Bank/Mori Survey, 2001.
- 홍두승, 사회조사분석, 다산출판사, 2000.
- K. Butler, R. Gordon, K. Roggeveen, G. Waitt, and P. Cooper, "Social marketing and value in behaviour? Perceived value of using energy efficiently among low income older citizens," J. of Social Marketing, Vol.6, No.2, pp.144-168, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSOCM-07-2015-0045
- M. Pepper, T. Jackson, and D. Uzzell, "An examination of the values that motivate socially conscious and frugal consumer behaviours," International J. of Consumer Studies, Vol.33, No.2, pp.126-136, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2009.00753.x
- J. Sheth and C. Uslay, "Implications of the revised definition of marketing: from exchange to value creation," J. of Public Policy & Marketing, Vol.26, No.2, pp.302-307, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1509/jppm.26.2.302
- E. Macdonald, H. Wilson, V. Martinez, and A. Toossi, "Assessing value-in-use: A conceptual framework and exploratory study," Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.40, No.5, pp.671-682, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2011.05.006
- N. Zainuddin, R. Russell-Bennett, and J. Previte, "The value of health and wellbeing: an empirical model of value creation in social marketing," European Journal of Marketing, Vol.47, No.9, pp.1504-1524, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-10-2011-0564
- E. Shove, "Beyond the ABC: climate change policy and theories of social change," Environment and Planning A, Vol.42, No.6, pp.1273-1285, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1068/a42282
- D. Shaw, R. McMaster, and T. Newholm, "Care and commitment in ethical consumption: An exploration of the 'attitude-behaviour gap'," J. of Business Ethics, Vol.136, No.2, pp.251-265, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2442-y
- J. Sheth, B. Newman, and B. Gross, "Why we buy what we buy: A theory of consumption values," J. of Business Research, Vol.22, No.2, pp.159-170, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(91)90050-8
- J. Sweeney and G. Soutar, "Consumer perceived value: The development of a multiple item scale," J. of Retailing, Vol.77, No.2, pp.203-220, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(01)00041-0
- T. Green and J. Peloza, "How does corporate social responsibility create value for consumers?," J. of Consumer Marketing, Vol.28, No.1, pp.48-56, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363761111101949
- M. Holbrook, "Consumption experience, customer value, and subjective personal introspection: An illustrative photographic essay," J. of Business Research, Vol.59, No.6, pp.714-725, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.01.008
- R. Russell-Bennett, J. Previte, and N. Zainuddin, "Conceptualising value creation for social change management," Australasian Marketing Journal, Vol.17, No.4, pp.211-218, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ausmj.2009.06.002
- M. Leicht, "Facing Globalization: More Social Capital and the Ability to Act as a Global Player as Response from the EU," Swiss Political Science Review, Vol.4, No.4, pp.197-213, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1662-6370.1998.tb00257.x
- P. Bourdieu, "The forms of capital," The Sociology of Economic Life, p.258, 1986.
- L. Larsen, S. Harlan, B. Bolin, E. Hackett, D. Hope, A. Kirby, A. Nelson, T. Rex, and S. Wolf, "Bonding and bridging: Understanding the relationship between social capital and civic action," J. of Planning Education and Research, Vol.24, No.1, pp.64-77, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739456X04267181
- N. Ellison, C. Steinfield, and C. Lampe, "The benefits of Facebook "friends:" Social capital and college students' use of online social network sites," J. of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.12, No.4, pp.1143-1168, 2007.
- R. Putnam, "Bowling alone: America's declining social capital," Culture and politics, Palgrave Macmillan, pp.223-234, 2000.
- D. Williams, "On and off the'Net: Scales for social capital in an online era," J. of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.11, No.2, pp.593-628, 2006.
- R. Putnam, "The prosperous community: social capital and public life," The American Prospect 13(Spring), Vol.4, 1993.
- S. Abbott and D. Freeth, "Social capital and health: starting to make sense of the role of generalized trust and reciprocity," J. of Health Psychology, Vol.13, No.7, pp.874-883, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105308095060
- F. Fukuyama, "Trust: The social virtues and the creation of prosperity," Free Press, 1995.
- J. Onyx and P. Bullen, "Measuring social capital in five communities," The J. of Applied Behavioral Science, Vol.36, No.1, pp.23-42, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021886300361002
- R. Reno, R. Cialdini and C. Kallgren, "The transsituational influence of social norms," J. of personality and social psychology, Vol.64, No.1, pp.104-112, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.11
- J. Platteau, "Mutual insurance as an elusive concept in traditional rural communities," The J. of Development Studies, Vol.33, No.6, pp.764-796, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220389708422495
- M. Koller, A. Floh, and A. Zauner, "Further insights into perceived value and consumer loyalty: A "green" perspective," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.28, No.12, pp.1154-1176, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20432
- D. Nelson and K. Byus, "Consumption value theory and the marketing of public health: An effective formative research tool," Health Marketing Quarterly, Vol.19, No.4, pp.69-85, 2002.
- G. Walsh, E. Shiu, and L. Hassan, "Replicating, validating, and reducing the length of the consumer perceived value scale," J. of Business Research, Vol.67, No.3, pp.260-267, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.05.012
- S. Romani, S. Grappi, and R. Bagozzi, "Explaining consumer reactions to corporate social responsibility: The role of gratitude and altruistic values," J. of Business Ethics, Vol.114, No.2, pp.193-206, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-012-1337-z
- 금희조, "소셜 미디어 시대, 우리는 행복한가?," 한국방송학보, 제25권, 제5호, pp.7-48, 2011.
- 최지은, 이두희, "SNS (Social Network Service)의 네트워크 특성이 사용자의 사회자본 (Social Capital) 에 미치는 영향," 경영학연구, 제42권, 제3호, pp.719-741, 2013.
- K. Chan and S. Li, "Understanding consumer-to-consumer interactions in virtual communities: The salience of reciprocity," J. of Business Research, Vol.63, No.9-10, pp.1033-1040, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.08.009
- D. Constant, L. Sproull, and S. Kiesler, "The kindness of strangers: The usefulness of electronic weak ties for technical advice," Organization Science, Vol.7, No.2, pp.119-135, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.2.119
- D. Narayan and M. Cassidy, "A dimensional approach to measuring social capital: development and validation of a social capital inventory," Current Sociology, Vol.49, No.2, pp.59-102, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011392101049002006
- Á. Skrabski, M. Kopp, and I. Kawachi, "Social capital in a changing society: cross sectional associations with middle aged female and male mortality rates," J. of Epidemiology & Community Health, Vol.57, No.2, pp.114-119, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.57.2.114
- C. Fornell and D. Larcker, "Structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.3, pp.382-388, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800313
- 고정원, 이성림, 김민정, "소비자의 로하스 소비의식과 로하스 상품소비," 소비자학연구, 제21권, 제4호, pp.89-112, 2010.
- 김종흠, 박은아, "친환경 행동의도 및 친환경 소비의도에 영향을 주는 요인에 대한 탐색적 연구," 소비자학연구, 제26권, 제1호, pp.1-22, 2015.
- 허은정, 김우성, "소비자의 윤리적 소비행동과 관련 요인 분석," 소비자학연구, 제23권, 제4호, pp.105-130, 2012.
- 나영주, 한동일, "친환경 태도와 친환경 제품구매 정도에 따른 친환경 소비자의 특성," 한국감성과학회 춘계학술대회, pp.123-123, 2012.
- J. S. Coleman, Foundations of Social Theory, Harvard University Press, 1994.
- J. Pretty and H. Ward, "Social capital and the environment," World Development, Vol.29, No.2, pp.209-227, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-750X(00)00098-X
- 이원섭, "미디어 교육 경험과 미디어 리터러시가 비판적 사고 성향에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제10호, pp.795-809, 2014.
- 장유미, 염동문, "지역 주민의 사회적 자본과 정신건강과의 관계: 경상남도를 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제12호, pp.764-774, 2014.