- Volume 19 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Utilitarian and Hedonic Perceptions of Travel Review Website on Perceived Usefulness and Behavioral Intention
여행 리뷰 웹사이트의 기능적, 쾌락적 인식이 지각된 유용성 및 행동의도에 미치는 영향
- 김용순 (동양미래대학교 관광컨벤션학과)
- Received : 2019.07.11
- Accepted : 2019.09.03
- Published : 2019.09.28
The purpose of this study was to research the relationships among utilitarian perceptions, hedonic perceptions, perceived usefulness and behavioral intention. Recently, consumers rely heavily on user-generated contents of social media channels to support their purchase decisions, such as electronic word-of-mouth. Electronic word-of-mouth helps consumers to evaluate items before making purchase, to reduce purchase risks and to support their purchase decisions. This study was based on both the analysis derived from a hypothesis and literature reviews and data collected from 255 travelers who had used travel review website at least once. The results of empirical analysis showed as follows. First, Utilitarian perceptions(information quality) has a significant impact on the perceived usefulness of a travel review website. Second, Enjoyment has a significant impact on the perceived usefulness of a travel review website. Third, Curiosity fulfilment has a significant impact on the perceived usefulness of a travel review website. Finally, Perceived usefulness of a travel review website has a significant impact on behavioral intention. Based on these findings, the implications and limitations of the study were presented including some directions for future studies.
Utilitarian Perceptions;Hedonic Perceptions;Perceived Usefulness;Behavioral Intention
- D. Mochon, K. Johnson, J. Schwartz, and D. Ariely, "What Are Likes Worth? A Facebook Page Field Experiment," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.54, No.2, pp.306-317, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.15.0409
- A. S. Cantallops and F. Salvi, "New Consumer Behavior: A Review of Research on eWOM and Hotels," International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol.36, pp.41-51, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2013.08.007
- A. M. Munar and J. K. S. Jacobsen, "Motivations for Sharing Tourism Experiences through Social Media," Tourism Management, Vol.43, pp.46-54, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2014.01.012
- S. C. Chu and Y. Sung, "Using a Consumer Socialization Framework to Understand Electronic Word-of-Mouth Group Membership among Brand Followers on Twitter," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol.14, No.4, pp.251-260, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2015.04.002
- D. Lee, H. S. Kim, and J. K. Kim, "The Role of Self-Constructural in Consumers' Electronic Word of Mouth in Social Networking Sites: A Social Cognitive Approach," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.28, No.3, pp.1054-1062, 2012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.01.009
- T. Y. Wu and C. A. Lin, "Predicting the Effects of eWOM and Online Brand Messaging: Source Trust, Telematics and Informatics," Vol.34, No.2, pp.470-480, 2017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2016.08.001
- J. J. Sheu and K. T. Chu, "Mining Association Rules between Positive Word-of-Mouth on Social Network Sites and Consumer Acceptance: A Study for Derivative Product of Animations, Comics, and Games," Telematics and Informatics, Vol.34, No.4, pp.22-33, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2016.12.010
- C. M. Y. Cheung, C. L. Sia, and K. K. Y. Kuan, "Is this Review Believable? A Study of Factors Affecting the Credibility of Online Consumer Reviews from an ELM Perspective," Journal of the Association for Onformation Systems, Vol.13, No.8, pp.618-635, 2012. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00305
- A. Elwalda and M. Ali, "Perceived Derived Attributes of Online Customer Review," Computer in Human Behavior, Vol.56, pp.306-319, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.11.051
- V. Venkatesh and F. D. Davis, "A Theoretical Extention of the Techonology Acceptance Model: Four Longitudinal Field Studies," Management Science, Vol.46, No.2, pp.186-204, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.220.127.116.1126
- F. D. Davis, "Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use, and User Acceptance of Information Technology," MIS Quarterly, Vol.13, No.8, pp.319-340, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008
- H. Li and Y. Liu, "Understanding Post-Adoption Behaviors of E-Service Users in the Context of Online Travel Services," Information and Management, Vol.51, No.8, pp.1043-1052, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2014.07.004
- P. Wang and H. Li, "Understanding the Antecedents and Consequences of the Perceived Usefulness of Travel Review Websites," International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol.31, No.3, pp.1086-1103, 2012.
- P. Zhang, T. Li, R. Ge, and D. C. Ten, "A Theoretical Acceptance Model for Computer-Based Communication Media: Nine Field Studies," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.28, No.5, pp.1805-1815, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.04.022
- A. Y. Alsabawy, A. Cater-Steel, and J. Soar, "Determinants of Perceived Usefulness of E-Learning Systems," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.64, pp.843-858, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.07.065
- R. Agarwal and E. Karahanna, "Time Flies When You're having Fun: Cognitive Absorption and Beliefs about Information Technology Usage," MIS Quarterly, Vol.24, No.4, pp.665-694, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250951
- G. Agag and A. A. El-Masry, "Understanding Consumer Intention to Participate in Online Travel Community and Effects on Consumer Intention to Purchase Travel Online and WOM: An Integration of Innovation Diffusion Theory and TAM with Trust," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.60, pp.97-111, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.02.038
- J. Matute, Y. Polo-Redondo, and A. Utrillas, "The Influence of EWOM Characteristics on Online Repurchase Intention Mediating Roles of Trust and Perceived Usefulness," Online Information Review, Vol.40, No.7, pp.1090-1110, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1108/OIR-11-2015-0373
- C. Park and T. M. Lee, "Antecedents of Online Reviews' Usage and Purchase Influence: An Empirical Comparison of US and Korean Consumers," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol.23, No.4, pp.332-340, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intmar.2009.07.001
- L. Mendes, A. M. Mills, F. B. Tan, and S. Milne, "Empowering the Traveler: An Examination of the Impact of User-Generated Content on Travel Planning," Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, Vol.35, No.4, pp.425-436, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2017.1358237
- H. Van Der Heijden, "User Acceptance of Hedonic Information Systems," MIS Quarterly, Vol.28, No.4, pp.695-704, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148660
- B. K. Kaye, "It's a Blog, Blog, Blog, Blog World," Atlantic Journal of Communication, Vol.13, No.2, pp.73-95, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15456889ajc1302_2
- R. Batra and O. Ahtola, "Measuring the Hedonic and Utilitalian Sources of Consumer Attitudes," Marketing Letters, Vol.2, No.2, pp.159-170, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00436035
- 배지우, 박정열, "소셜미디어 이용 동기가 이용자 몰입에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제1호, pp.462-474, 2015.
- 오은해, "소셜 미디어의 이용동기가 소셜 미디어의 상호작용과 사용자 만족에 미치는 영향에 관한 실증 연구," 경영연구, 제27권, 제1호, pp.49-74, 2012.
- W. H. Delone and E. R. Mclean, "Information Systems Success: the Quest for the Dependent Variable," Information Systems Research, Vol.56, pp.306-319, 1992.
- J. C. C. Lin and H. Lu, "Towards an Understanding of the Behavioural Intention to Use a Web Site," International Journal of Information Management, Vol.20, No.3, pp.197-208, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-4012(00)00005-0
- J. H. Park, B. Gu. A. C. M. Leung, and P. Konana, "An Investigation of Information Sharing and Seeking Behaviors in Online Investment Communities," Computers in Human Marketing, Vol.31, pp.1-12, 2014.
- E. Van Dijk and M. Zeelenberg, "When Curiosity Killed Regret: Avoiding or Seeking the Unknoen in Decision-Making under Uncertainty," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.3, No.4, pp.656-662, 2007.
- V. Venkatesh, "Determinants of Perceived Ease of Use: Integrating Control, Intrinsic Motivation, and Emotion into the Technology Acceptance Model," Information System Research, Vol.11, No.4, pp.342-365, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.11.4.342.11872
- L. Visinescu, A. Sidorova, M. C. Jones, and V. R. Prybutok, "The Influence of Website Dimensionality on Customer Experiences, perception and Behavioral Intentions: A Exploration of 2D vs. 3D Web Design," Information and Management, Vol.52, No.1, pp.1-17, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2014.10.005
- J. F. Engel, R. D. Blackwell, and P. W. Miniard, Consumer Behavior, New York: Holt Rinehart and Winston Inc, 1995.
- W. Boulding, R. Staelin, A. Kalra, and V. Zeithaml, "A Dynamic Process Model of Service Quality: From Expectations to Behavioral Intentions," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.30, No.1, pp.7-27, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379303000102
- C. J. Ruth, Applying a Modified Technology Acceptance Model to Determine Factors Affecting Behavioral Intentions to Adopt Electronic Shopping on the World Wide: a Structural Equation Modeling Approach, Doctoral Dissertation, University of Drexel, 2000.
- 손증군, "소셜커머스와 온라인 쇼핑몰의 수용의도와 추천의도에 영향을 미치는 요인," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제3호, pp.352-360, 2014.
- C. Ranganathan and S. Ganapathy, "Key Dimensions of Business to Consumer Websites," Information & Management, Vol.39, No.6, pp.457-465, 2017.
- T. H. Lee, "A Structural Model for Examining How Destination Image and Interpretation Services Affect Future Visitation Behavior: A Case Study of Taiwan's Taomi Eco-Village," Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Vol.17, No.6, pp.727-745, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669580902999204
- G. A. Jr. Churchill, "A Paradigm for Developing Better Measures of Marketing Constructs," Journal of Marketing, Vol.16, No.1, pp.64-73, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224377901600110
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1, pp.39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- 우종필, 구조방정식모델 개념과 이해, 한나래 아카데미, 2012.
- K. Wei and J. Ram, "Perceived Usefulness of Podcating in Organizational Learning: The Role of Information Characteristics," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.64, pp.859-870, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.08.003