- Volume 8 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Design and Implementation of a Smart Signage System based on the Internet of Things(IoT) for Elevators
- Ryu, Hyunmi (Dept. of Software, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Lee, Guisun (Dept. of Software, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Park, Sunggon (Dept. of Multimedia Engineering, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Cho, Sungguk (Dept. of Multimedia Engineering, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Jeon, Byungkook (Dept. of Software, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- Received : 2019.09.02
- Accepted : 2019.09.10
- Published : 2019.09.30
The existing digital signage systems inside the elevators are a lack of tailored contents appropriate to the space and environment inside or outside the elevators. Also, they almost impossible to flexibly respond to various contents disclosure according to the demand of the consumers or the elevator markets. Therefore we design and implement an IoT(Internet of Things)-based smart digital signage system for the safety of elevator passengers.. In order to provide IoT-based information to the smart digital signage within the elevator, we propose an IoT system as a set-top box with gyroscope sensor, acceleration sensor, RFID(Radio-Frequency Identification), fine dust sensor, etc., which processes various data collected by the sensors and provides the elevator passengers with various tailored contents such as elevator driving information, environmental information inside and outside the elevator, and disaster information in addition to simple advertisement information. The proposed IoT system is a set-top box that operates the smart digital signage and has an independent information control processor based on the IoT sensors that do not depend on the elevator control system. For the proposed smart digital signage, it supports an operating system that is independent of the elevator driving service as well as the media service. So the smart signage system has a characteristic that it does not depend on the elevator control system since it is a stand-along IoT-based information control system. With the proposed system providing intuitive content for the surge, steep descent, and radical movements of an elevator due to an emergency situation, the elevator passengers should be able to recognize the situation quickly and respond accordingly. In the near future, the proposed system will expand the market of digital signage applied in conjunction with the development of contents in the disaster, safety and environment fields, and expect expected to revitalize related industries associated with signage.
Smart Signage;Internet of Things;Elevator;Safety;Disaster
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF), Korea Ministry of SMEs and Startups, Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology (KIAT)
- Hyundai elevator, https://www.hyundaielevator.co.kr
- Schindler, https://www.schindler.com
- ThyssenKrupp Co., MAXIMIZING CITY EFFCIENCY, TK-Elevator-MAX-Report.
- Seungchul Lee, Byungchul Lim, Yeonchun Jung, Byungkook Jeon, "A Safety Module to Integrate Multiple Sensor Sources for Elevator", INFORMATION, 18, 2016.
- ABI Research, "More Than 30 Billion Devices Will Wirelessly Connect to the Internet of Everything in 2020", 2013.
- Fickas S., Kortuem, G., Segall, Z., "Software organization for dynamic and adaptable wearable systems". International Symposium on Wearable Computers 1997, pp.56-63, 1997
- Pew Research Center, "Main Report: An In-depth Look at Expert Responses", Internet, Science & Tech., 2014.
- PLATFORM, "Behind The Numbers: Growth in the Internet of Things", 2015.
- Charith Perera, Arkady Zaslavsky, Peter Christen, Dimitrios Georgakopoulos, "Context Aware Computing for The Internet of Things: A Survey", IEEE Communications Surveys Tutorials, 1-44, 2013.
- Byungchul Lim, Yeonchun Jung, Jinhyung Park, Byungkook Jeon, "Design of an OSD(On-Screen Display) Integrated Module to handle Multimedia transmitted from Multiple Sources", IJCC 2016, Jan., 2016.
- Tundong Li, Xiaosheng Liao, Jianping Zeng, Design of Intelligent Elevator Remote Monitoring System Based on Ethernet", 5Th Int'l Conf. Computer Science & Education, pp.24-27, 2010.