- Volume 8 Issue 3
Building skins are expanding even beyond theirfunctions as a simple boundary between the exterior and interior and into the realm of linguistic functions thanks to the development of media art. LED has been used as material on outer walls following the advancement of building materials, so the outerskins of large buildings are evolving into a messenger of language capable of communication. In big cities, buildings send out video images to enable communication between people and architecture, which plays a huge role in determining the identity of a building beyond simple advertising. Such media fa?ade technologies can be understood based on the concept of outerskin change, which refers to the idea that animals change the colors or textures of their skins to show their various states. In addition, various message delivery functions in human clothes should be included in such a discussion. We need to research on the possibilities of seeing media facades for their information delivery function and expanding them into information delivery between buildings as well as just between buildings and people.
Architecture;Media facade;Urban media;Projector;Keystone;Multi screen
Supported by : Dongyang University
- Taskiranlar, D, Media Architecture: Interaction between Media and Architecture in the Postmodern Epoch, Master's thesis, Eastern Mediterranean University (EMU)-Dogu Akdeniz Universitesi (DAU), pp. 57-58, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2421076.2421085
- H.A. Kwon, B.Y. Shin, & W.G. Shim, "A Study on the Surface as Interface in Contemporary Architecture", Architectural Institute of Korea, Vol. 26, No.3, pp.111-120, March 2010. DOI: 10.14369/SKMC.2013.26.3.111 https://doi.org/10.14369/SKMC.2013.26.3.111
- Cartiere, C., & Willis, S. (Eds.). (2008). The practice of public art. Routledge. p.136, 2008 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203926673
- Dalsgaard, P., & Halskov, K. "Designing urban media facades: cases and challenges." In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM, pp. 2277-2286, April 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/1753326.1753670
- Stojsic, M. "(New) Media Facades: Architecture and/as a Medium in Urban Context", AM Casopis za studije umetnosti i medija, Vol. 12, pp. 135-148, 2017 DOI: https://doi.org/10.25038/am.v0i12.173 https://doi.org/10.25038/am.v0i12.173
- Liz Kotz, Art and the moving image, video projection; the space between screens, Zoya Kocur and simon Leung, Theory in Contemporary Art Since 1985, Blackwell, p. 371, 2005.
- Rosalind Krauss, Video; The Aesthetics of Narcissism, The MIT Press, October, Vol. 1, pp. 50. Spring 1976. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/778507