- Volume 8 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Data-processing pipeline and database design for integrated analysis of mycoviruses
- Je, Mikyung (NU Bioinformatics Institute, Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Bioinformatics, College of Natural Science, Seoul National University) ;
- Son, Hyeon Seok (Laboratory of Computational Biology & Bioinformatics, Institute of Public Health and Environment, Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Hayeon (Department of Biomedical Laboratory Science, Kyungdong University)
- Received : 2019.07.25
- Accepted : 2019.08.07
- Published : 2019.09.30
Recent and ongoing discoveries of mycoviruses with new properties demand the development of an appropriate research infrastructure to analyze their evolution and classification. In particular, the discovery of negative-sense single-stranded mycoviruses is worth noting in genome types in which double-stranded RNA virus and positive-sense single-stranded RNA virus were predominant. In addition, some genomic properties of mycoviruses are more interesting because they have been reported to have similarities with the pathogenic virus family that infects humans and animals. Genetic information on mycoviruses continues to accumulate in public repositories; however, these databases have some difficulty reflecting the latest taxonomic information and obtaining specialized data for mycoviruses. Therefore, in this study, we developed a bioinformatics-based pipeline to efficiently utilize this genetic information. We also designed a schema for data processing and database construction and an algorithm to keep taxonomic information of mycoviruses up to date. The pipeline and database (termed 'mycoVDB') presented in this study are expected to serve as useful foundations for improving the accuracy and efficiency of future research on mycoviruses.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- M.N. Pearson, R.E. Beever, B. Boine, and K. Arthur, "Mycoviruses of filamentous fungi and their relevance to plant pathology," Mol. Molecular plant pathology, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 115-128, Jan 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1364-3703.2008.00503.x
- L. Liu, J. Xie, J. Cheng, Y. Fu, G. Li, X. Yi, and D. Jiang, "Fungal negative-stranded RNA virus that is related to bornaviruses and nyaviruses,' in Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol. 111, No. 33, pp. 12205-12210, Aug 2014. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1401786111
- S. Ozkan and R.H. Coutts, "Aspergillus fumigatus mycovirus causes mild hypervirulent effect on pathogenicity when tested on Galleria mellonella," Fungal genetics and biology, Vol. 76, No. 76, pp. 20-26, Mar 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fgb.2015.01.003
- I. Kotta-Loizou and R.H. Coutts, "Studies on the virome of the entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassiana reveal novel dsRNA elements and mild hypervirulence," PLoS pathogens. Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. e1006183, Jan 2017. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1006183
- L. Kanhayuwa, I. Kotta-Loizou, S. Ozkan, A.P. Gunning, and R.H. Coutts, "A novel mycovirus from Aspergillus fumigatus contains four unique dsRNAs as its genome and is infectious as dsRNA," in Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol. 112, No. 29, pp. 9100-9105, Jul 2015. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1419225112
- NCBI Resource Coordinators, "Database Resources of the National Center for Biotechnology Information," Nucleic acids research, Vol. 45, No. D1, pp. D12-D17, Jan 2017. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkw1071
- C. Hulo, E. de Castro, P. Masson, L. Bougueleret, A. Bairoch, I. Xenarios, and P. Le Mercier, "ViralZone: a knowledge resource to understand virus diversity," Nucleic acids research, Vol. 39, No. Database issue, pp. D576-D582, Jan 2011. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkq901
- B.E. Pickett, E.L. Sadat, Y. Zhang, J. Noronha, R.B Squires, V. Hunt, M. Liu, S. Kumar, S. Zaremba, Z. Gu, L. Zhou, C.N. Larxon, J. Dietrich, E.B. Klem, and R.H. Scheuermann, "ViPR: an open bioinformatics database and analysis resource for virology research," Nucleic acids research, Vol. 40, No. Database issue, pp. D593-D598, Jan 2012. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkr859
- M. Stano, G. Beke, and L. Klucar, "viruSITE-integrated database for viral genomics," Database: the journal of biological databases and curation, Vol. 2016, pii. baw162, Dec 2016.
- M.J. Adams and J.F. Antoniw, "DPVweb: a comprehensive database of plant and fungal virus genes and genomes," Nucleic acids research, Vol. 34, No. Database issue, pp. D382-D385, Jan 2016.
- W. Shamsi, A. Jamal, N. Virk, and M.F. Bhatti, "The mycovirus database an e-bank for mycoviral genomes," International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 7-11, Nov 2018.