- Volume 8 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analyzing Sport Documentary Online - Focus on All or Nothing: Manchester City on Prime Video
- Han, Sukhee (Department of Media Communication, Graduate School, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2019.06.24
- Accepted : 2019.07.05
- Published : 2019.09.30
This study multi-dimensionally analyzes a sport documentary, All or Nothing: Manchester City, which is an original content on Prime Video, an American Over-The-Top (OTT) platform. Due to the success of South Korean soccer player Heung-min Son who plays Tottenham Hotspur of England, the popularity of the English Premier league is recently the greatest in South Korea along with the fact that soccer has been a popular sport for a long time. This study focuses on the success of the soccer club, Manchester City, which has become a rising star with its huge investment from United Arab Emirates; Manchester City won the league four times since 1992/1993 season. Also, during the 2017/2018 season, the background the documentary, Manchester City won the league title with new records, which shows the greatness of Manchester City. Especially, this study examines the documentary by 1) Story 2) Type of Scene 3) How to watch. Thus, this study explores not only the aspects of team-themed sport documentary that shows how and why Manchester City is excellent, but also the traits of the original content that explores the structure of the media platform.
Sport Documentary;Manchester City;All or Nothing;Prime Video;Original Content
- UEFA, "Association Club Coefficients", https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/.
- Ellis, J., "The Documentary Idea: A Critical History of English-Language Documentary Film and Video. London: Pearson College Div, 1988.
- Amazon, "Prime Video" https://www.primevideo.com/.
- Clark, T. "Amazon Prime Video Is the Best Streaming Service If You're a Movie Buff, but Netflix Isn't Far Behind", Business Insider, 2019. https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-prime-video-is-the-best-streaming-service-for-movies-2019-9.
- Lee, H. "Amazon Awakens the Value of Failure", Digital Times, 2019. http://www.dt.co.kr/contents.html?article_no=2019081402102369061001.
- Kim, J., "Comparative Study of Narrative Structure about Korean and Japanese Sports Hero Documentary Programs", Humanities Contents, Vol. 17, pp.219-251, 2010.
- Kim, H., "Representation of Post-World Cup Documentary", Korean Society for the Sociology of Sport, Vol. 20, No.2, pp.249-268, 2007. https://doi.org/10.22173/jksss.2007.20.2.249
- Manchester City, "Official Naver Post", https://m.post.naver.com/my.nhn?memberNo=45635427.
- Kim, D., "Manchester City Players Give Greetings for New Year in Korean Language", Yonhap News, 2016. https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20160208023900007.
- Yoon, N., "Nexen Tire Holds Fan Event 'CITY LIVE!' with Manchester City", Daily Hankook, 2019. http://daily.hankooki.com/lpage/society/201903/dh20190329115543137890.htm.