- Volume 47 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Synthesis Method and Melamine Content of Melamine-Urea-Formaldehyde Resins on Bond-Line Features in Plywood
- LUBIS, Muhammad Adly Rahandi (Department of Wood and Paper Sciences, Kyungpook National University) ;
- JEONG, Bora (Department of Wood and Paper Sciences, Kyungpook National University) ;
- PARK, Byung-Dae (Department of Wood and Paper Sciences, Kyungpook National University) ;
- LEE, Sang-Min (Wood Utilization Division, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- KANG, Eun-Chang (Wood Utilization Division, National Institute of Forest Science)
- Received : 2019.05.07
- Accepted : 2019.08.10
- Published : 2019.09.25
This work examined effects of the synthesis method and melamine content of melamine-urea-formaldehyde (MUF) resins on the bond-line features (i.e. resin penetration and bond-line thickness) in plywood. Two synthesis methods (MUF-A and MUF-B) and three melamine contents (5, 10, and 20%) were employed to prepare MUF resins. The MUF-A resins at three melamine contents were prepared by a simultaneous reaction of melamine, urea, and formaldehyde, while the MFU-B resins were prepared by reacting melamine at the same levels with formaldehyde followed by urea. The results showed that higher melamine content increased the viscosity of MUF-A and MUF-B resins. The resin penetration of MUF-A resins decreased by 48% while those of MUF-B resins increased by 16% at 20% melamine content. As a result, the MUF-A resins had greater bond-line thickness than those of MUF-B resins as the melamine content increased. The MUF-B resins resulted in thinner bond-line and greater resin penetration compared to those of MUF-A resins. The results suggested that MUF-B resins prepared with 20% melamine content had a proper combination of resin penetration and bond-line thickness that could produce plywood panel with a better adhesion performance.
MUF resins;bond-line thickness;resin penetration;light microscopy;plywood
- Cyr, P.L., Riedl, B., Wang, X.M., Shaler, S. 2006. Urea-melamine-formaldehyde (UMF) resin penetration in medium-density fiberboard (MDF) wood fibers. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 20: 787-801. https://doi.org/10.1163/156856106777638716
- Frihart, C.R. 2015. Introduction to Special Issue: Wood Adhesives: Past, Present, and Future. Forest Products Journal 65: 4-8. https://doi.org/10.13073/65.1-2.4
- Frihart, C.R. 2009. Adhesive groups and how they relate to the durability of bonded wood. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 23: 601-617. https://doi.org/10.1163/156856108X379137
- Hartono, R., Hidayat, W., Wahyudi, I., Febrianto, F., Dwianto, W., Jang, J.H., Kim, N.H. 2016. Effect of phenol formaldehyde impregnation on the physical and mechanical properties of soft-inner part of oil palm trunk. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 44(6): 842-851. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.6.842
- Hong, M.K., Lubis, M.A.R., Park, B.D. 2017. Effect of panel density and resin content on properties of medium density fiberboard. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(4): 444-445. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2017.45.4.444
- Hong, M.K, Park, B.D. 2017. Effect of Urea-Formaldehyde Resin Adhesive Viscosity on Plywood Adhesion. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(2): 223-231. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2017.45.2.223
- Hong, M.K., Park, B.D., Kim, K.H., Shim, K. 2017. Performance of melamine-urea-formaldehyde resin adhesives at various melamine contents for bonding glued laminated timber under high frequency heating. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(4): 409-418. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2017.45.4.409
- Hse, C.-Y., Higuchi, M. 2010. Melamine-Bridged Alkyl Resorcinol Modified Urea-Formaldehyde Resin for Bonding Hardwood Plywood. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 16: 2840-2845.
- Hunt, C.G., Frihart, C.R., Dunky, M., Rohumaa, A. 2019. Understanding Wood Bonds-Going Beyond What Meets the Eye: A Critical Review. Reviews of Adhesion and Adhesives 6: 369-440.
- Jeong, B., Park, B.D., Causin, V. 2019. Influence of Synthesis Method and Melamine Content of Urea-Melamine-Formaldehyde Resins to Their Features in Cohesion, Interphase, and Adhesion Performance. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2019.05.017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2019.05.017
- Jeong, B., Park, B.D. 2019. Performance of Urea-Formaldehyde Resins Synthesized at Two Different Low Molar Ratios with Different Numbers of Urea Addition. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(2): 221-228. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2019.47.2.221
- Jeong, B.D, Park, B.D. 2017. Effect of analytical parameters of gel permeation chromatography on molecular weight measurements of urea-formaldehyde resins. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45: 471-481.
- Jeong, B., Park, B.D. 2016. Measurement of molecular weights of melamine-urea-formaldehyde resins and their influences to properties of medium density fiberboards. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 44(6): 913-922. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.6.913
- Kamke, F. a., Lee, J.N. 2007. Adhesive penetration in wood: a review. Wood and Fiber Science 39: 205-220.
- Liu, Y., Zhao, X., Ye, L. 2016. A Novel Elastic Urea-Melamine-Formaldehyde Foam: Structure and Properties. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 55: 8743-8750. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.6b01957
- Lubis, M.A.R., Park, B.D., Lee, S.M. 2019. Performance of Hybrid Adhesives of Blocked-pMDI/Melamine-Urea-Formaldehyde Resins for the Surface Lamination on Plywood. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(2): 200-209. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2019.47.2.200
- Mao, A., Hassan, E.B., Kim, M.G. 2013. The effects of adding melamine at different resin synthesis points of low mole ratio urea-melamine-formaldehyde (UMF) resins. BioResources 8: 5733-5748.
- Maulana, S., Busyra, I., Fatrawana, A., Hidayat, W., Sari, R.K., Sumardi, I., Wistara, I.N.J., Lee, S.H., Kim, N.H., Febrianto, F. 2017. Effects of steam treatment on physical and mechanical properties of bamboo oriented strand board. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(6): 872-882. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2017.45.6.872
- Nuryawan, A., Park, B.D., Singh, A.P. 2014. Penetration of urea-formaldehyde resins with different formaldehyde/urea mole ratios into softwood tissues. Wood Science and Technology 48: 889-902.
- Park, B.D., Kang, E.C., Lee, S.M., Park, J.Y. 2016. Formaldehyde emission of wood-based composite panels with different surface lamination materials using desiccator method. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 44(4): 600-606. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.4.600
- Park, B.D., Lee, S.M., Roh, J.K. 2009. Effects of formaldehyde/urea mole ratio and melamine content on the hydrolytic stability of cured urea-melamine-formaldehyde resin. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products 67: 121-123. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00107-008-0277-x
- Pizzi, A. 2003. Melamine-formaldehyde adhesives. In: Handbook of Adhesive Technology. Second edition. Marcel Dekker, New York, 653-679.
- Properzi, M., Pizzi, A., Uzielli, L. 2001. Honeymoon MUF adhesives for exterior grade glulam. Holz als Roh- und Werkst 59: 413-421. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001070100245
- Sernek, M., Resnik, J., Kamke, F.A. 1999. Penetration of liquid urea-formaldehyde adhesive into beech wood. Wood and Fiber Science 31: 41-48.
- Siimer, K., Kaljuvee, T., Pehk, T., Lasn, I. 2010. Thermal behaviour of melamine-modified urea-formaldehyde resins. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 99: 755-762. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-009-0617-z
- Singh, A., Dawson, B., Rickard, C., Bond, J., Singh, A. 2008. Light, Confocal and Scanning Electron Microscopy of Wood-Adhesive Interface. Microscopy and Analysis 22: 5-8.
- Su, W.Y., Subyakto, B., Nishimiya, T.H.K., Imamura, Y., Ishihara, S. 1998. Improvement of fire retardancy of plywood by incorporating boron or phosphate compounds in the glue. Journal of Wood Science 44: 131-136. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00526258
- Tohmura, S.I., Inoue, A., Sahari, S.H. 2001. Influence of the melamine content in melamine-urea-formaldehyde resins on formaldehyde emission and cured resin structure. Journal of Wood Science 47: 451-457. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00767897