- Volume 52 Issue 3
Ever since the definition "live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host"and guidelines of probiotics by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the WHO were announced, the research and product development using probiotics has been hugely successful. As a result, probiotics products become an important part of the functional food market. Recently, thanks to rapidly growing microbiome research, more diverse roles and health benefits of probiotics are being elucidated. Based on those results, pharmabiotics using probiotics are anticipated. In addition, in order to be internationally competitive and distributed, efforts should be made for certification such as GRAS/NDI notification through quality control that meets global standards. In this paper, we reviewed several aspects of probiotics concerning recently amended definition of probiotics, the regulation of probiotics, the strain specificity of efficacy, the association with microbiome research, and the market trends.
- de Simone C. The unregulated probiotic market. Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 17: 809-817 (2018)
- Doron S, Snydman DR. Risk and safety of probiotics. Clin. Infect. Dis. 60(Suppl. 2): S129-34 (2015) https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ085
- FAO/WHO Expert Consultation. Evaluation of Health and Nutritional Properties of Probiotics in Food (2001)
- FAO/WHO. Guidelines for the evaluation of probiotics in food. Report of a joint FAO/WHO working group report on drafting guidelines for the evaluation of probiotics in food (2002)
- Hill C, Guarner F, Reid G, Gibson GR, Merenstein DJ, Pot B, Morelli L, Canani RB, Flint HJ, Salminen S, Calder PC, Sanders ME. Expert consensus document: The International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics consensus statement on the scope and appropriate use of the term probiotic. Nat. Rev. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 14: 506-514 (2014)
- Honeycutt TC, El Khashab M, Wardrop RM 3rd, McNeal-Trice K, Honeycutt AL, Christy CG, Mistry K, Harris BD, Meliones JN, Kocis KC. Probiotic administration and the incidence of nosocomial infection in pediatric intensive care: a randomized placebocontrolled trial. Pediatr. Crit. Care. Med. 8: 452-458 (2007) https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PCC.0000282176.41134.E6
- Jain PK, McNaught CE, Anderson AD, MacFie J, Mitchell CJ. Influence of synbiotic containing Lactobacillus acidophilus La5, Bifidobacterium lactis Bb 12, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus and oligofructose on gut barrier function and sepsis in critically ill patients: a randomised controlled trial. Clin. Nutr. 23: 467-475 (2004) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2003.12.002
- Kim IH, Park MS, Ji GE. Characterization of adhesion of Bifidobacterium sp. BGN4 to human enterocyte-like Caco-2 cells. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 13: 276-281 (2003)
- Luczynski P, McVey Neufeld KA, Oriach CS, Clarke G, Dinan TG, Cryan JF. Growing up in a bubble: using germ-free animals to assess the influence of the gut microbiota on brain and behavior. Int. J. Neuropsychopharmacol. 19 (2016)
- Maftei NM. Probiotic, Prebiotic and Synbiotic Products in Human Health. In: Frontiers and New Trends in the Science of Fermented Food and Beverages. Solis-Oviedo RL(ed). IntechOpen, London, United Kingdom (2019)
- Markets and Markets. Probiotics Market by Application (Functional Food & Beverages [Dairy Products, Non-dairy Beverages, Infant Formula, Cereals], Dietary Supplements, Feed), Ingredient (Bacteria, Yeast), Form (Dry, Liquid), End User, and Region-Global Forecast to 2023 (2019)
- Olah A, Belagyi T, PotoL, Romics L Jr, Bengmark S. Synbiotic control of inflammation and infection in severe acute pancreatitis: a prospective, randomized, double blind study. Hepato-gastroenterol. 54: 590-594 (2007)
- Vergin F. Antibiotics and probiotics. Hippokrates. 25: 116-119 (1954)
- Wang B, Jiang X, Cao M, Ge J, Bao Q, Tang L, Chen Y, Li L. Altered fecal microbiota correlates with liver biochemistry in nonobese patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Sci. Rep. 6: 32002 (2016) https://doi.org/10.1038/srep32002
- Wilkins T, Sequoia J. Probiotics for gastrointestinal conditions: a summary of the evidence. Am. Fam. Physician. 96: 170-178 (2017)
- Winclove Probiotics. https://www.wincloveprobiotics.com/sites/default/files/headerpics/winclove_press_release_first_eu_probiotic_health_claim_0.pdf. Accessed Mar. 14, 2017.
- Youn SY, Ji GE, Han YR, Park MS. Development of Strain-Specific Primers for Identification of Bifidobacterium bifidum BGN4. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 27: 909-915 (2017) https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1610.10018
- 식품의약품안전처. 유산균 제제 기준규격 개선 연구 (2014)
- 식품의약품안전처. 2017년 건강기능식품 상시적 재평가 결과보고서 (2017)
- 식품의약품안전처. 식품안전나라 홈페이지 건강기능식품 원료별정보. https://www.foodsafetykorea.go.kr/portal/board/board.do. Accessed May. 9, 2019.
- 이투데이. 제약바이오업계도 프로바이오틱스 시장 선점 경쟁 뜨겁다. Available from: http://www.etoday.co.kr/news/section/newsview.php?idxno=1746633#csidx72ed444ff0a04bc8dcd39bea96bda7f. Accessed Apr. 18, 2019.
- 정윤주. Analysis of intestinal microbiome in rheumatoid arthritis patients and evaluation of RA inhibitory effect and safety of Bifidobacterium bifidum ATT. PhD thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea (2019)
- 진태은, 정동수. KOBIC Technical Reports-국내 프로바이오틱스 (Probiotics) 연구논문, 특허 그리고 시장 (2018)
- 한국보건의료연구원. 프로바이오틱스의 안전한 사용을 위한 연구 (2016)