- Volume 58 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison on the Time of Occurrence of Major Rice Insect Pests Based on Growing Degree Day in Northern Part of Korean Peninsula
북방농업지대에서 유효적산온도를 이용한 벼 해충의 발생시기 비교
- Kim, Soon-Il (The Biological Activity Research Institute, Nareso Co., Ltd.) ;
- Uhm, Ki Baik (The Biological Activity Research Institute, Nareso Co., Ltd.) ;
- Jin, Da-Yong (School of Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural College of Yanbian University) ;
- Park, Hyung Man (The Biological Activity Research Institute, Nareso Co., Ltd.)
- Received : 2019.07.01
- Accepted : 2019.08.29
- Published : 2019.09.01
This study was carried out to compare on the time of occurrence of 6 major rice insect pests [Lissorhoptrus oryzophilus Kusche, Oulema oryzae Kuwayama, Sogatella furcifera (Horvath), Nilaparvata lugens Stal., Cnaphalocrocis medinalis (Guenee), Mythimna separata Walker] in northern part of the Korean peninsula. Using growing degree days of the insects, we evaluated the number of occurrence generations and the time of occurrence. Over-wintering insects such as L. oryzophilus and O. oryzae showed different occurrence periods in northern regions. The occurrence period of the first generation adults was later in northeast regions than in Korean middle regions and more later both in northern alpines and in northern parts of east sea. In addition, the first adults of S. furcifera, N. lugens, C. medinalis, and M. separata occurred between June and early August. However, from late August to September, these insects showed the different occurrence periods in northern regions. Especially, the second adults of N. lugens were not occurred and the second to third generation adults of S. furcifera, C. medinalis, and M. separata showed similar occurrence properties. Based on these properties, the occurrence of major rice insect pests will be less in northeast regions, northern regions of east sea, northern inlands, and northern alpines of the Korean peninsula. However, comparing with their occurrences in northern regions of Gyenonggi and Gangwon provinces, the rice insect pests may show similar occurrence pattern in mid-korean mountains except for pyunggang and yangduk regions as well as in the southern and northern regions of Suyang-san.
Growing degree day;Nothern agriculture;Occurrence period;Rice insect pests
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Baeck, U.W., 1996. Insect pests, Hwangmunsa, Seoul.
- Choi, K.M., 1973. Cnaphalocrocis medinalis G. rice leaf folder. Literature review of Korea rice pests, Inst. Agric. Sci. O.R.D. 17-18.
- Choi, K.M., Cho, U.H., 1976. Studies on the factors of occurrence of the oriental armyworm and development of its artificial diet, in: 1975 Research Report, Agricultural Sciences Institute, RDA, Suwon, pp. 103-135.
- Gho, H.K., Kim, Y.H., Lee, J.O., Lim, G.S., Lee, J.Y., 1990. Development of flight muscles and ovary of rice water weevil, Lissorhoptrus oryzaophilus Kuschel (Coleoptera: Curculinonidae) during the period of migration. Res. Rep. RDA 32, 14-18.
- Heu, S.G., Moon, H.P., Jeong, U.K., Yang, U.H., Lee, J.K., Kim, T.Y., 2018. The study for crop production increasement in the northern regions of the Korean peninsula. Autumn Annual Conference of the Korean Society of Crop Science, 18 pp.
- Hirai, K., 1995. Migration of the oriental armyworm Mythimna separata in East Asia in relation to weather and climate. III. Japan, in: Drake, V.A., Gatehouse, A.G. (Eds.), Insect migration: tracking resources through space and time. Cambridge, New York, pp. 117-130.
- Hu, G., Lu, F., Zhai, B.P., Lu, M.H., Liu, W.C., Zhu, F., Wu, X.W., Chen, G.H., Zhang, X.X., 2014. Outbreaks of the brown planthopper Nilaparvata lugens (Stal) in the Yangtze river delta: immigration or local reproduction? PLoS ONE 9, e88973. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0088973
- Jung, J.K., Seo, B.Y., Cho, J.R., Kim, Y., 2013. Monitoring of Mythimna separata adults by using a remote-sensing sex pheromone trap. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 52, 341-348. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2013.10.0.058
- Kim, K.C., Choi, C.S., 1984. Studies on the bionomies and analysis of damage of the rice leaf folder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis G. in South region of Korea. Rural Dev. Rev. 19, 25-32.
- Kim, K.M., Park, Y.H., 2018. Studies of the life cycle and rearing methods of whitebacked planthopper (Sogatella furcifera Horvath). J. Life Sci. 28, 357-360.
- Kim, Y.H., Choi, Y.M., Lim, G.S., Chang, Y.D., 1990. Occurrence of rice weevil, Lissorhoptrus oryzaophilus, by feeding scars on the leaves of weeds in the overwintering sites. Res. Rep. RDA 32, 7-11.
- KINU (Korea Institute for National Unification), 2000. The status of agricultural industry and the characteristics of agricultural sectors of North Korea In The study on interaction and cooperation of agricultural techniques of South and North Korea, 239 pp.
- Kiritani, K., 2012. The low development threshold temperature and the thermal constant in insects and mites in Japan (2nd edition). Bull. Natl. Inst. Agro-Environ. Sci. (Jpn.) 31, 1-74.
- Ko, H.R., Back, H.W., Kim, G.H., 2003. Effect of temperature on development and reproduction of the rice armyworm, Pseudaletia separata Walker (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 42, 53-56.
- Kobayashi, S., Kimura, D., Matsui, S., 1988. Forecast of occurrence times of overwintering adults at overwintering site. Jpn. J. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 32, 13-19. https://doi.org/10.1303/jjaez.32.13
- KREI (Korea Rural Economic Institute), 2005. Quarterly agricultural trends in North Korea, Kyeongheejengbo, Seoul, 7, 1-170.
- KREI (Korea Rural Economic Institute), 2018. Quarterly agricultural trends in North Korea, Cricommunication, Seoul, 20, 1-112.
- Kwon, T.J., Choi, B.S., 2002. Agricultural trend of North Korea in analysis on agriculture and agricultural policy of North Korea, Korea Rural Economic Institute, Naju city, 258 pp.
- Lee, J.H., Uhm, K.B., 1995. Migration of the oriental armyworm Mythimna separata in East Asia in relation to weather and climate. II. Korea, in: Drake, V.A., Gatehouse, A.G. (Eds.), Insect migration: tracking resources through space and time. Cambridge, New York, pp. 105-116.
- Lee, K.Y., Kim, Y.H., Chang, Y.D., 1998. Effect of temperature on the oviposition, larval and pupal development of Oulema oryzae (Coleoptera:Chrysomelidae). Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 37, 159-162.
- Li, G.B., Wang, H.X., Hu, W.X., 1964. Route of the seasonal migration of the oriental armyworm moth in the eastern part of China as indicated by a three-year result of releasing and recapturing of marked moths. Acta Phytophylacica Sin. 3, 101-110.
- Ministry of Unification, 2019. Information portal of North Korea, Agriculture Industry, http://nkinfo.unikorea.go.kr/nkp/overview/nkOverview.do?sumryMenuId=MENU_65.
- Park, C.G, Kim, K.H., Park, H.H., Lee, S.G., 2013. Temperaturedependent development model of white backed planthopper (WBPH), Sogatella furcifera (Horvath) (Homoptera: Delphacidae). Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 52, 133-140. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2013.02.1.070
- Park, H.H., Ahn, J.J., Park, C.G., 2014. Temperature-dependent development and population dynamics of rice leaffolder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis (Guenee) (Lepidoptera: Crambidae). J. Asia-Pac. Entomol. 17, 83-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2013.11.003
- Rye, Y.S., Kim, D.Y., Yoon, S.J., Kwon, Y., 2013. Rice insect pests, in: Rye, Y.S., Kim, D.Y. (Eds.), Insects of Northeast China (focusing on Northeast insect pests). China Agricultural Press, Beijing, pp. 194-222.
- Uhm, K.B., 1991. Characteristics of phenology of and damage by the white backed planthopper (Sogatella furcifera Horvath) and the brown planthopper (Nilaparvata lugens Stal) in Korea. Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul National University, Korea.
- Yoon, S.T., Kim, J.H., 2006. Crop Cultivation and climate characteristics of different agricultural zone in North Korea. J. Korean Soc. Int. Agric. 18, 7-16.