- Volume 58 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Infestation Status of the Darkling Beetle (Alphitobius diaperinus) in Broiler Chicken Houses of Korea
육계농장에서 외미거저리(Alphitobius diaperinus) 발생양상 보고
- Nguyen, Namhai (Department of Plant Medicine, Sunchon National University) ;
- Yang, Byung-Kun (Biogenoci Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Jae-Seon (Biogenoci Co., Ltd.) ;
- Yoon, Jong-Ung (Biogenoci Co., Ltd.) ;
- Hong, Ki-Jeong (Department of Plant Medicine, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2019.06.10
- Accepted : 2019.08.17
- Published : 2019.09.01
While the darkling beetle, Alphitobius diaperinus (Panzer) (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) is considered a pest of stored products, it does not pose a significant economic threat to this industry. The grains these beetles feeding on are often already damaged. However, the beetle is now being treated as the foremost premise pest in the poultry industry in many countries of the world. Recently, the darkling beetle has also infested in broiler chicken houses of Korea. The problems caused by this pest destroy the insulate facilities of poultry houses, reduce chick's overall performance, transmit pathogenic organisms, and have been leading to substantial economic losses for poultry producers. Therefore, we conducted surveys on the status of infestation and damage of this pest in broiler chicken houses. Because there is no simple one step process that will completely eliminate darkling beetle populations from broiler facilities, we would like to outline further studies on the proper control measures.
Alphitobius diaperinus;Darkling beetle;Broiler chicken;Infestation;Damages
Grant : 육계 농장 딱정벌레 오염실태 및 방제 방안에 관한 연구
Supported by : 농림축산검역본부
- Axtell, R.C., 1999. Poultry integrated pest management: Status and future. Integrated Pest Manag. Rev. 4, 53-73. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009637116897
- Axtell, R.C., Arends, J.J., 1990. Ecology and management of arthropod pests of poultry. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 35, 101-125. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.en.35.010190.000533
- Boozer, W.E., 2011. Insecticide susceptibility of the adult darkling beetle, Alphitobius diaperinus (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae): topical treatment with bifenthrin, imidacloprid, and spinosad. University of Georgia.
- Calibeo-Hayes, D., Dinning, S., Stringham, S.M., Watson, D.W., 2005. Darkling beetle (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) emergence after mechanical incorporation of poultry litter into field soils. J. Econ. Entomol. 98, 229-235. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/98.1.229
- Despins, J.L., Axtell, R.C., 1995. Feeding behavior and growth of broiler chicks fed larvae of the darkling beetle, Alphitobius diaperinus. Poult. Sci. 74, 331-336. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0740331
- Despins, J.L., Turner, E.C. Jr., Ruszler, P.L., 1987. Construction profiles of high rise caged layer houses in association with insulation damage caused by the lesser mealworm, Alphitobius diaperinus (Panzer) in Virginia. Poult. Sci. 66, 243-250. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0660243
- Geden, C.J., Arends, J.J., Axtell, R.C., Barnard, D.R., Gaydon, D.M., Hickle, L.A., Hogsette, J.A., Jones, W.F., Mullens, B.A., Nolan, M.P. Jr., Nolan, M.P. III, Petersen, J.J., Sheppard, D.C., 2001. Research and extension needs for poultry IPM, in: Hogsette, J.A., Geden, C.J. (Eds.), Proceedings, Center for Medical, Agricultural, and Veterinary Entomology USDA-ARS Workshop, 21 March 2006, Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Goodwin, M.A., Waltman, W.D., 1996. Transmission of Eimeria, viruses, and bacteria to chicks: darkling beetles (Alphitobius diaperinus) as vectors of pathogens. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 5, 51-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/5.1.51
- Guillebeau, P., Hinkle, N., Roberts, P., 2008. Summary of losses from insect damage and cost of control in Georgia 2005. University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Miscellaneous Publication Number 106, 48 p.
- Hinkle, N.C., Hickle, L.A., 1999. California caged layer pest management evaluation. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 8, 327-338. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/8.3.327
- McCrory, D.F., Hobbs, P.J., 2001. Additives to reduce ammonia and odor emissions from livestock wastes: A review. J. Environ. Qual. 30, 345-355. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2001.302345x
- Miller, J.P., 1997. That crunchy stuff in your cereal bowl may not be granola: beetles invade an Ohio town when chicken farmer's plan for fly control goes awry. Wall Street Journal, New York City, New York. Nov. 3.
- National Institute of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS), 2017. Stored Product Insect Pests and Hygiene Pests (flies). 103 pp.
- National Institute of Biological Resources (NIBR), 2019. National Species List of Korea. III. Insects (Hexapoda). 986 pp.
- Nolan, M. Jr., 1982. Beetle control in broiler houses Alphitobius diaperinus. Poult. Dig. 41, 458-459.
- Rees, D., 2004. Insects of stored products. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Australia. 181 pp.
- Rural Development Administration (RDA), 2016. Broiler business management, agricultural management data 2016-18.
- Savage, S., 1992. Reducing darkling beetles. Poult. Dig. 51, 34-36.
- Scanes, C.G., 2007. The global importance of poultry. Poult. Sci. 86, 1057-1058. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.6.1057
- Schroeckenstein, D.C., Meier-Davis, S., Graziano, F.M., Falomo, A., Bush, R.K., 1988. Occupational sensitivity to Alphitobius diaperinus (Panzer) (lesser mealworm). J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 82, 1081-1088. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-6749(88)90147-9
- Simco, J.S., Everett, R., Lancaster, J.L. Jr., 1966. Preliminary studies on control of lesser mealworm in broiler houses. Arkansas Farm Res. 15, 8.
- Swatonek, V.F., 1969. Zur Biologie des Glanzendschwarzen Getreideschimmelkafers (Alphitobius diaperinus Panz. = A. piceus Oliv.). Anzeiger fur Schadlingskunde und Pflanzenschutz 42, 101-104.
- Tschinkel, W.R., 1975. A comparative study of the chemical defensive system of tenebrionid beetles: chemistry of the secretions. J. Insect Physiol. 21, 753-783. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1910(75)90008-6
- Vaughan, J.A., Turner, E.C. Jr., Ruszler, P.L., 1984. Infestation and damage of poultry house insulation by the lesser mealworm, Alphitobius diaperinus (Panzer). Poult. Sci. 63, 1094-1100. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0631094
- Wikipedia, 2019. Alphitobius. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphitobius/. Accessed 30 May 2019.