- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Seismic Performance Enhancement of Exposed Column-base Plate Weak-axis Connections for Small-Sized Steel Buildings
소규모 철골조건축물을 위한 약축방향 노출형 주각부의 내진성능 향상
- You, Young-Chan (Department of Building Safety Research Center, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT))
- 유영찬 (한국건설기술연구원 국민생활연구본부, 건축안전연구센터)
- Published : 2019.09.01
The purpose of this study is to enhance the seismic performance of exposed column-base plate weak-axis connections for small-sized steel buildings. According to the site inspection for the small-sized building construction, the arbitrary connection details in steel buildings have been applied at the job site, which is considered to be insufficient to guarantee structural safety and stability considering the increased seismic risk in Korea. Therefore, a series of test programs had been done to develop enhanced connection details in order to ensue the adequate seismic stability and safety of small-sized steel buildings. From the test results, It was found that the exposed column-base plate weak-axis connections commonly used in Korea shows very poor seismic behavior due to the "Rocking" phenomena caused by the residual plastic deformation of anchor bolts between anchor plate and concrete. A series of hysteretic tests for finding that solution were conducted to reduce the "Rocking" phenomena of the column-base plate connections, and local buckling of webs in H-column. Finally the enhanced stable seismic behavior was obtained by reinforcing at least 8 anchor bolts with good bonding strength and stiffeners to the webs in H-column.
Small-sized steel buildings;Exposed column-base plate weak-axis connection;Seismic performance;Rocking;Anchor bolts;Energy dissipation capacity
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (2016), Regulation on Structural Standard of Buildings, MOLIT (in Korean)
- Architectural Institute of Korea (2009), Korean Building Code and Commentary, AIK (in Korean).
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (2017), Korean Small-Sized Building Code, MOLIT (in Korean).
- You, Y. C et el, (2014). A 1st Year-Report on Evaluation of Structural Performance of Small-Size Masonry/Steel Building, Koyang, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology Press, 216.
- The Korean Structural Engineers Association (2012) Structural Design Criteria and Commentary for One and Two Story Small Buildings, KSEA, Kimoondang (in Korean).
- Drake, R. M., and Elkin, S. J. (1999) Beam-Column Base Plate Design- LRFD Method, Engineering Journal, First Quarter, pp.29-38.
- Fisher, J. M., and Kloiber, L. A. (2006) Design Guide 1: Base plate and anchor rod design, 2nd edition, American Institute of Steel Construction, pp.13-31.
- Hon, K. K., and Mechers, R. E. (1988) Experimental Behaviour of Steel Column Bases, Journal of Constructional Steel Research 9, pp.35-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(88)90055-7
- Lee, S. J., and Song, H. S. (2008) A Study on the Structural Behavior of Eccentrically Loaded Steel Column Base Plates, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.323-332 (in Korean).
- Lim, W. Y., You, Y. C., Yoo, M. N., (2017) Cyclic Loading Test for Exposed Column-base Plate Connections of Small-size Steel Structures, Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, Vol. 21, No. 2, March 2017, pp.034-045
- Koo, H. J. Yoo, M. N., Lee, . H., Choi, K. S., You, Y. C., (2017) Standard Details of Steel Column-Base Plate Connection for Small-Size Steel Structure, Proceedings of Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, Vol. 20, No. 1, 17, pp.293-294
- Lim, W. Y., You, Y. C., (2017) Seismic Evaluation of Exposed Column-base Plate Weak-axis Connections Using L-shaped Hooked Anchor Bolts, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, Vol.29, No.4, pp.269-280
- AISC (2003) Column Base Plates, American Institute of Steel Construction.
- AISC (2005) Steel Construction Manual, American Institute of Steel Construction.
- AISC (2006) Base Plate and Anchor Rod Design, American Institute of Steel Construction.
- ANSI/AISC 341-10 (2010) Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction.
- KS B 0801(2007) The Pieces for Tension Test for Metallic Materials, Korean Standard Association (in Korean).
- KS B 0802(2003) Method of Tensile Test for Metallic Materials, Korean Standard Association (in Korean).
- ACI T1.1-01 (2001) Acceptance Criteria for Moment Frames Based on Structural Testing, American Concrete Institute.