- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
End of Life Care Competencies and Terminal Care Stress of Nurses in Long Term Care Hospitals
요양병원 간호사의 생애말 환자간호 역량과 임종간호 스트레스
- Jeong, Young-Hee (Department of Nursing, Graduate School, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- June, Kyung Ja (Department of Nursing, Soonchunhyang University College of Medicine,)
- Received : 2019.01.14
- Accepted : 2019.08.27
- Published : 2019.09.01
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between end of life care competencies and terminal care stress of nurses in long term care hospitals. Methods: For this study, 140 nurses were sampled among those that have over 6-month end of life care experience and were working at long term care hospitals located in A city and C city of Chungcheongnam-do. Using a questionnaire, data were collected from January 2018 through March 2018. Data were analyzed using the SPSS, Windows version 21.0, according to the purpose of the study and analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-test, one way ANOVA,
Supported by : Soonchunhyang University
- Nursing staff status in nursing home 2018 [Internet]. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; 2018 [cited 2018 Jun 20]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp.
- Jeong BR. Study of perception of death and terminal care performance of long-term care hospital nurses [master's thesis]. Daegu: Keimyung Univ.; 2015. Korean.
- Lee CY. Nurses' experiences of end-of-life care for elderly patients in long-term care hospitals [dissertation]. Busan: Dong-A Univ.; 2018. Korean.
- Ha S, Song JA. Effects on turnover intention due to terminal care stress of nurses working in long-term care hospitals. J Korean Gerontol Nurs 2018;20:217-28. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2018.20.3.217
- Lee YO. A study on the stresses of nursing for the cancer ward nurse [master's thesis]. Seoul: Kyunghee Univ.; 2004. Korean.
- Yang JH, Shin SL. A study of relationship between death perception, spiritual well being and terminal care stress of geriatric hospital nurses. JKAIS 2016;17:510-20.
- Lee JH, Park JS. End of life care stress and nursing work environment in geriatric hospitals nurses affect burn out. JKAIS 2017;18:449-58.
- Hospital Nurses Association. Current status of hospital nurses 2016. Seoul:Hospital Nurses Association;2016. p.157, p.161.
- National Health Service. End of life care [Internet]. London: NHS; 2013 [cited 2018 Jun 20]. Available from: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/end-of-life-care/what-it-involves-and-when-it-starts/?tabname=what-is-end-of-life-care.
- Lee HJ. Critical care nurses' perceived end of life care competencies and supportive behaviors and barriers [master's thesis]. Seoul: Seoul National Univ.; 2015. Korean.
- Lee JY, Jang JI. Changes of nursing activities on patients with DNR orders. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2017;20:46-57. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2017.20.1.46
- Kim KS. The relationship among perception of death, end-of-life care stress and end-of-life care attitude of nurses [master's thesis]. Busan: Kosin Univ.; 2016. Korean.
- Ji SI, You HS. The impact of clinical nurses' terminal care attitude and spiritual health on their terminal care stress. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2012;17:232-40.
- Montagnini M, Smith H, Balistrieri T. Assessment of self-perceived end-of-life care competencies of intensive care unit providers. J Palliat Med 2012;15:29-36. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2011.0265
- Oh JH. A study on terminal care stress and terminal care performance of geriatric hospital nurses [master's thesis]. Suwon: Ajou Univ.; 2015. Korean.
- Kim HJ, Kim HY. Experience of job stress among nurses working in long-term care hospital: A phenomenological approach. Korean J Adult Nurs 2016;28:572-84. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.5.572
- Kim JS, Jeong SY, Kim SH, Kim JO. Predictors of emotional labor and job stress on burnout of nurses in long-term care hospitals. J Korean Gerontol Nurs 2014;16: 130-40. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.2.130
- Seo MS, Kang YJ, Yoon JY, Kim TY, cho HJ, Park SY, et al. Development of audio-visual aids of death education for hospice patients and their families. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2016;19:240-48. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2016.19.3.240
- An SY, Kim HK, Gong ES, Kim NC, Kim CG, Song MS, et al. Nurses' experience of end-of life care for older adults. J Korean Gerontol Nurs 2014;16:118-29. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.2.118
- Kwak SY, Lee BS. Role adaptation process of hospice nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2018;24:149-60. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.2.149
- Lee MS. Nurse' experience of caring for dying patients in hospitals. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003;33:553-61. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.5.553
- Kim SH. Development of nursing students death education program [master's thesis]. Busan: Pusan Univ.; 2013. Korean.