- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Safety Analysis of Reservoir Dikes in South Korea through the Interpretation of the Electrical Resistivity Data Considering Three-dimensional Structure
3차원 구조를 고려한 전기비저항 탐사자료 해석을 통한 국내 저수지 제체 안전성 분석
- Song, Sung-Ho (Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Yong, Hwan-Ho (Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Lee, Gyu-Sang (Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Cho, In-Ky (Division of Geology and Geophysics, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2019.05.15
- Accepted : 2019.06.17
- Published : 2019.08.31
Resistivity inversion result may be distorted if the seepage line fluctuation within central core with the change of reservoir water level as well as the conductivity of the reservoir water is not taken into consideration because the reservoir dike is composed of three-dimensional (3D) resistivity structure. Consequently, to accurately analyze the resistivity changes inside the reservoir dike according to the change of reservoir water level, 3D electrical resistivity modeling for the 2D survey line considering topography and physical properties of dam components was carried out. In addition, 2D inversion was performed with the simulated 2D resistivity data for a given 3D model in order to compare it with the inversion result of real field data. For 283 reservoirs in Korea, 2D inversion results for the simulated 2D data and field 2D resistivity data were compared. Finally, the reservoirs with an inversion ratio of 50% or less were selected as reservoirs that require further precise investigation.
- Cho, I. K., Kang, H. J., and Kim, K. J., 2006, Distortion of resistivity data due to the 3D geometry of embankment dams, Geophys. and Geophys. Explor., 9(4), 291-298 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Cho, I. K., Lee, K. S., and Kang, H. J., 2010, 3D effect of embankment dam geometry to resistivity data, Geophys. and Geophys. Explor., 13(4), 397-406 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, J. H., 2001, DIPRO for windows Version 4.0
- Kim, J. H., Yi, M. J., Song, Y., Seol, S. J., Chung, S. H., and Kim, K. S., 2001, Application of geophysical methods to the analysis of an earth dam, EAGE 63rd Conference and Technical Exhibition, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- KRC (Korea Rural Community Corporation), 2019, http://irims.ekr.or.kr [accessed 19.05.13]
- Oh, S. H., 2008, Electrical resistivity response due to the variation of embankment shape and reservoir level, Geophys. and Geophys. Explor., 11(3), 214-220 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Oh, S. H., 2012, Electrical resistivity response due to variation in embankment shape and reservoir levels, Environ. Earth Sci., 65(3), 571-579. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-011-1104-y
- Salmon, G. M. and Johansson, S., 2003, Research on geophysical methods of detecting seepage and piping in embankment dams with case studies of geophysical measurements at two Swedish Tailing dams, International Symposium on Major Challenge in Tailing dams, June 15, Montreal 2003, ICOLD 71st Annual Meeting.
- Sjodahl, P., Dahlin, T., Zhou, B., and Johansson, S., 2002, Monitoring of leakage in embankment dams through resistivity measurements-A 2.5D modeling study, Proceeding of 8th Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, 169-172.
- Song, S. H., Kwon, B. D., Choi, J. H., and Kim, K. M., 2001, Application of hydrogeological and geophysical methods to leakage problem of dike, J. Korean Soc. Mineral and Energy Resour. Eng., 38(4), 292-300 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Song, S. H., Yong, H. H., Cho, I. K., Seo, J. J., and Park, K. Y., 2013, Stability investigation of embankment dike considering three-dimensional resistivity structure, 2013 Fall Meeting of Korean Society of Exploration Geophysicist, October 10, KwangJu (in Korean with English abstract).