- Volume 55 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
여자만 서수도 해역의 조류 및 조석평균류 특성
Characteristics of tidal current and mean flow at the west channel of Yeoja Bay in the South Sea of Korea
- 추효상 (전남대학교 해양기술학부)
- CHOO, Hyo-Sang (Faculty of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University)
- 투고 : 2019.06.24
- 심사 : 2019.08.07
- 발행 : 2019.08.31
In order to understand the tidal current and mean flow at the west channel of Yeoja Bay in the South Sea of Korea, numerical model experiments and vorticity analysis were carried out. The currents flow north at flood and south at ebb respectively and have the reversing form in the west channel. Topographical eddies are found in the surroundings of Dunbyong Island in the east of the channel. The flood currents flow from the waters near Naro Islands through the west channel and the coastal waters near Geumo Islands through the east channel. The ebb currents from the Yeoja Bay flow out along the west and the east channels separately. The south of Nang Island have weak flows because the island is located in the rear of main tidal stream. Currents are converged at ebb and diverged at flood in the northwest of Jeokgum Island. Tidal current ellipses show reversing form in the west channel but a kind of rotational form in the east channel. As the results of tide induced mean flows, cyclonic and anticyclonic topographical eddies at the northern tip but eddies with opposite spin at the southern tip are found in the west channel of Yeoja Bay. The topographical eddies around the islands and narrow channels are created from the vorticity formed at the land shore by the friction between tidal currents and the west channel.
The west channel of Yeoja Bay;Numerical model experiments;Tidal current;Tidal mean flow;Topographical eddy
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 해양수산과학기술진흥원
- Barton ED. 2001. Island wakes. Nature, 1-8. (DOI:10.1006/rwos.2001.0140). https://doi.org/10.1006/rwos.2001.0140
- Caldeira RMA, Groom S, Miller P, Pilgrim D and Nezlin NP. 2002. Sea-surface signatures of the island mass effect phenomena around Madeira Island, Northeast Atlantic. Remote Sens Environ 80, 336-360. (DOI:10.1016/S0034-4257(01)00316-9). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-4257(01)00316-9
- Chavanne C, Flament P, Lumpkin R, Dousset B and Bentamy A. 2002. Scatterometer observations of wind variations induced by oceanic islands: implications of wind-driven ocean circulation. Can J Remote Sens 28, 466-474. (DOI:10.5589/m02-047). https://doi.org/10.5589/m02-047
- Chen P, Swart HE and Levinson AV. 2013. Role of asymmetric tidal mixing in the subtidal dynamics of narrow estuaries. Journal of Geophysical Research; Oceans 118, 2623-2639. (DOI:10.1029/2010JC006137). https://doi.org/10.1029/2010JC006137
- Choi JM. 2004. Sediment behaviour mechanism in Yeoja bay, south coast of Korea. Ph.D. Thesis, Yeosu National University, Korea, 86-91.
- Choo HS. 2014. Fluid mechanics for oceanographers. Chonnam National Univ Press, 188-204.
- Falconer RA. 1986. A two-dimensional mathematical model study of the nitrate levels in an inland natural basin. International Conference on Water Quality Modeling in the Inland Natural Environment Bournemouth England 10-13 June, 325-344.
- Falconer RA and Chen Y. 1991. An improved representation of flooding and drying and wind stress effects in a 2-D numerical model. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers Part 2 Research and Theory 91, 659-678.
- Friedrichs CT and Aubrey DG. 1988. Nonlinear tidal distortion in shallow well mixed estuaries: A synthesis, Estuarine. Coastal Shelf Science Elsevier 26, 521-545. (DOI:10.1016/0272-7714(88)90082-0). https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7714(88)90082-0
- Ippen AT and Harleman DRF. 1966. Tidal dynamics in estuaries, Estuary and Coastline Hydrodynamics. Edited by Ippen AT McGraw-Hill New York, 493-545.
- KIOST. 1996. Harmonic constants of Tide around the Korea Peninsula. 88-128.
- KSCE. 2003. Report for numerical model experiment of tidal current. Basic Design for construction of Jeokgum- Yeongnam bridge, 2-43.
- Lee MC. 1983. Water exchange of Yeoja Bay. Journal of the Korean Society of Fisheries Technology 19, 33-38.
- Lee KH and Kim DS. 1984. Distributions of temperature and salinity in summer on Yeoja Bay. Bulletin of Yeosu National University 5, 19-23.
- Lee JY, Choo HS, Park SE and Lee GH. 2004. Characteristics of the tidal flow in Yeoja Bay. Proceedings of the KOSMEE fall annual meeting 2004, 170-175.
- Maddok L and Pingree RD. 1978. Numerical simulation of the Portland tidal eddies. Estuarine Coastal Mar Sci 6, 353-363. (DOI:10.1016/0302-3524(78)90127-5). https://doi.org/10.1016/0302-3524(78)90127-5
- Maruyasu T, Onishi S and Nishimura T. 1981. Study of tidal vortices at the Naruto Strait through remote sensing. Bull Remote Sensing Lab No.1 Science Univ. of Tokyo, 142.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). 1999. Red tide damage countermeasures. 527.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). 2003. Study on the foundation-laying of Jeonnam archipelago marine ranching program in Korea. BSPM 176-00-1531-3, 95-100.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). 2019. Yeosu Regional Office of Oceans and Fisheries. Retrieved from http://yeosu.mof.go.kr/service?id=envi_turinf_tureit_01_01. Accessed 30 May 2019.
- Nakada H. and Hujiwara T. 1985. Formation of topographical eddies and fishing grounds near Akeishi Strait. Journal of Suisan Doboku 21, 67-74, in Japanese.
- National Institute of Fisheries Science (NIFS). 1977 Annual Report 1101, 91-123.
- National Institute of Fisheries Science (NIFS). 1978. Annual Report 41, 89-92.
- National Institute of Fisheries Science (NIFS). 1997. Red tides around the Korean Peninsula. 280.
- Park SH, Cho HS, Yoon YH and Choo HS. 1998. Seasonal characteristics of sea water quality in Yeoja Bay. Proceedings of the Korean Environmental Sciences Conferences 1998 Spring, 114-116.
- Strang EJ and Fernando HJS. 2001. Vertical mixing and transports through a stratified shear layer. Journal of Physical Oceanography 31, 2026-2048. (DOI:10.1175/1520-0485(2001)031<2026:VMATTA>2.0.CO;2). https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(2001)031<2026:VMATTA>2.0.CO;2
- Sugimoto T. 1975. Effect of boundary geometries on tidal currents and tidal mixing. J Ocenogr Soc Japan 31, 1-14.
- Sugimoto T, Ueshima H, Yasuda H, Yanagi T and Higuchi H. 1976. On the formation processes of the tidal residual circulation. Reports of the Government Industrial Research Institute Chugoku 1, 35-50.
- Takeoka E and Higuchi H. 1982. Tidal exchange at a small bay due to topographical eddies. Bulletin on Costal Oceanography 19(2), 175-182.
- Yoo JM, Kim S and Lee EK. 1993. The Effect of Freshwater Input on the Abundances of Fish Eggs and Larvae during on Rainy Season in Yoja Bay, Korea. Ocean Research 15, 37-42.