- Volume 55 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Quantitative fluctuation and species composition of ichthyoplankton in Gwangyang Bay, Korea
광양만 연안에 분포하는 부유성 난 및 자치어의 종조성과 양적변동
- CHU, Bo-Ra (Department of Aqualife Science, Chonnam National University,) ;
- LEE, Sung-Hoon (Department of Aqualife Science, Chonnam National University) ;
- YU, Tae-Sik (Department of Aqualife Science, Chonnam National University,) ;
- HWANG, Tae-Yong (Ocean Co., Ltd.) ;
- HAN, Kyeong-Ho (Department of Aqualife Science, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2019.05.15
- Accepted : 2019.08.09
- Published : 2019.08.31
Species composition and yearly variation of fish eggs and larval fishes were investigated from 2014 to 2016. During the study period, the fish eggs were identified as belonging to 14 taxa. The dominant species of fish eggs were Leiognathus nuchalis, Engraulis japonicus, and Konosirus punctatus. These three species accounted for 97.4% of the total number of individuals collected. The collected larval fishes were identified into 37 taxa, 22 families, and seven orders. The dominant species of larval fish were Leiognathus nuchalis, and Gobiidae fishes. These three species accounted for 85.4% of the total number of individuals collected. The diversity index of the larval fishes was the highest in 2014 (H' = 1.60) and the lowest in 2015 (H' = 1.15). The evenness index was the highest in 2016 (J = 0.51) and the lowest in 2015 (J = 0.39). The dominance index was the highest in 2015 (D = 83.5%) and the lowest in 2016 (D = 70.9%). In addition, the economically important species in this area were Engraulis japonicus, Konosirus punctatus, Hippocampus coronatus, Sebastes schlegelii, Acanthopagrus schlegeli, and Cynoglossus joyneri.
- Cha SS. 2002. Review on the studies of ecology of fish in their early life stages off Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 14, 76-82.
- Cha SS and Park KJ. 1994. Distribution of the ichthyoplankton in Kwangyang bay. Korean J Ichthyol 6, 60-70.
- Chyung MK. 1977. The fishes of Korea. Ilji Publishing, Seoul, Korea, 727.
- Clarke KR and Warwick RM. 1994. Changes in marine communities: an approach to statistical analysis and interpretation, Natural Environment Research Council. Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Plymouth, U.K., 144.
- Felly JD. 1987. Nekton assemblages of three tributaries to the Calcasieu Estuary, Louisiana Estuaries 10, 321-329.
- Han KH, Yu TS, Lee J and Lee SH. 2018. Seasonal variation in species composition of ichthyoplankton in northern Jinhae bay, Korea. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 51, 72-78. (DOI: 10.5657/KFAS.2018.0072). https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2018.0072
- Kim HJ. 2011. The fluctuation in the abundance and species composition of fish collected by shrimp beam trawl in the coastal water of Namhae. Master Thesis, Chonnam National University, Korea, 42.
- Kim JY. 1996. Distribution of the ichthyoplankton off Daedo in Kwangyang bay during summer. Master Thesis, Chonnam National University, Korea, 33.
- Kim SA. 1991. Fisheries resource assessment theory. Useongmunhwasa, Seoul, Korea, 75.
- Kim YU. 1981. Fish eggs and larvae of the coastal waters in Korea. National Fisheries University of Pusan, The ocean science institute, 109.
- Lee TW. 1996. Change in species composition of fish in Chonsu bay. Bull Korean Fish Soc 29, 71-83.
- Nelson JS. 2007. Fishes of the world 5thed. John Wiley & Sons, New York, U.S.A., 624.
- NFRDI. 2004. Commercial fishes of the coastal and offshores waters in Korea. 333.
- Oh SH. 2003. Species composition and community structure of fishes in Kwangyang bay, Korea. Ph.D. Thesis, Chonnam National University, Korea, 220.
- Okiyama M. 2014. An atlas of the early stage fishes in Japan, second edition. Tokai University Press, Japan, 1639.
- Park KJ. 1999. Species composition of the ichthyoplankton and feeding ecology of early stage in Kwangyang bay, Korea. Ph.D. Thesis, Chonnam National University, Korea, 131.
- Park SB, Lee SH, Kim J and Han KH. 2019. Species composition and quantitative fluctuation of fishes collected by a small otter trawl in Kwangyang bay. Bull Inst Fish Tech 12, 53-60.
- Saville A and Schnack D. 1981. Some thoughts on the current status of studies of fish egg and larval distribution and abundance. Rapp P-v Reun. Cons Int Explor Mer 178, 153-157.
- Seo SH. 2013. Distribution of ichthyoplankton in the mouth parts of Kwangyang bay. Master Thesis, Chonnam National University, Korea, 32.
- Youn BI, Han KH and Lee SH. 2016. Distribution of Ichthyoplankton in coastal waters of Nanji Island. J Korean Soc Fish Ocean Technol 54, 287-295. (DOI: 10.3796/KSFOT.2018.54.4.287). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFOT.2018.54.4.287