- Volume 55 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Change of relative fishing power index from technological development in the small yellow croaker drift gillnet fishery
참조기 유자망어업에서 어로기술개발에 따른 어획성능지수 변동
- SEO, Young-Il (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- OH, Taeg-Yun (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- CHA, Hyung-Kee (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- KIM, Byung-Yeob (Training ship, Jeju National University) ;
- JO, Hyun-Su (Department of Marine Industry and Shipping Science and Technology (Marine Production System Major), Kunsan National University) ;
- JEONG, Tae-Young (Training ship, Pukyong National University) ;
- LEE, Yoo-Won (Training ship, Pukyong National University)
- 서영일 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 오택윤 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 차형기 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 김병엽 (제주대학교 실습선) ;
- 조현수 (군산대학교 해양생산학전공) ;
- 정태영 (부경대학교 실습선) ;
- 이유원 (부경대학교 실습선)
- Received : 2019.06.12
- Accepted : 2019.08.12
- Published : 2019.08.31
The small yellow croaker (Larimichthys polyactis) is one of the representative high-class fish species in Korea. The catch of small yellow croaker in adjacent water fisheries has been continuously decreasing from 59,226 tons in 2011 to 19,271 tons in 2016. The small yellow croaker is caught by gillnet, stow net and bottom trawl, among which about 55~65% is caught by gillnet. For the sustainable use of small yellow croaker, the fishing power of small yellow croaker drift gillnet is very important. Therefore, the change of fishing power index were analyzed to identify the development of the vessel and gear technology that may have improved the fishing efficiency of the small yellow croaker drift gillnet fishery from 1960s to 2010s. Gross tonnage and horse power per fishing vessel was increased annually. The mesh size was 75.0 mm in the 1960s, but reduced to 60.6 mm in the 1980s and to 51.0 mm in the 2000s. In the 1960s, it was hauled out by manpower. However, the net hauler were modernized and supply rate was also increased since 1970. Due to the mechanization of the net hauler, the number (length) of used net gradually increased from 1.5 km in the 1960s to 7.5 km in the mid-1980s and to 15 km in 2010. Colour fish finders and positioning system were introduced and utilized from the mid-1980s. Surveys on the supply and upgrading of fishing equipment utilized visiting research. Therefore, the relative fishing power index in the small yellow croaker drift gillnet fishery increased from 1.0 in 1980 to 0.8 in 1970, to 1.1 in 1990, to 1.6 in 2000 and to 1.9 in 2010. The results are expected to contribute to reasonable fisheries stock management of the small yellow croaker drift gillnet fishery.
Fishing power index;Small yellow croaker;Drift gillnet;Fishing equipment;Fisheries stock management
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- An HC, Lee KH, Park SW, Park CD and Shin JK. 2007. Assessment of fishing power of common octopus (Octopus minor) trap fishery. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 43, 176-182. (DOI:10.3796/ksft.2007.43.3.176). https://doi.org/10.3796/ksft.2007.43.3.176
- Englhard GH. 2008. One hundred and twenty years of change in fishing power of English North Sea trawlers. In: Advances in fisheries science: 50 years on from Beverton and Holt (eds. Payne A, Cotter J and Potter T), Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, 1-25.
- Fisheries Printing Support (FPS). 1986. Overview of Korean fishing vessel (20G/T and over). Green Pine Press. 316-321.
- Fitzpatrick J. 1996. Technology and fisheries legislation. In: Precautionary approach to fisheries. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No. 350, Part 2, FAO, Rome, 191-199.
- Kim DH, An HC, Lee KH and Hwang JW. 2007. Fishing capacity assessment of the octopus coastal trap fishery using data envelopment analysis (DEA). J Korean Soc Fish Technol 43, 339-346. (DOI:10.3796/ksft.2007.43.4.339). https://doi.org/10.3796/ksft.2007.43.4.339
- Kim PK, Lee KH, Kim DH, Lee GH, An HC, Kim SH and Yang YS. 2015. Estimation of fishing power and fishing capacity on coastal stow net fishery in the Korean waters. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 51, 583-591. (DOI: 10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.4.583). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.4.583
- Korea Economic Development Research Institute (KEDRI). 1966. Current status of Korea fishery. Yelimsa, Korea, 334-345.
- Lee EJ, Seo YI, Park HW, Kang HJ and Zhang CI. 2015. Comparative analysis of spawning biomass per recruit model for stock management of small yellow croaker caught by offshore drift gillnet. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 51, 535-544. (DOI: 10.3796/KSFT.2015. 51.4.535). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.4.535
- Lee KH, Kim PK, Kim DH, An HC and Lee CW. 2012. Assessment of fishing power and fishing capacity of the snow crab (Chionoecetes opilio) gillnet fishery in the East Sea. J Technol 51, Soc Fish Technol 48, 29-39. (DOI: 10.3796/ksft.2012.48.1.029). https://doi.org/10.3796/ksft.2012.48.1.029
- Lee JH, Seo YI, Oh TY and Lee DW. 2013. Estimations on population ecological characteristics of small yellow croaker, Pseudosciaena polyactis by the drift gillnet fishery in Korean waters. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 49, 440-448. (DOI: 10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.4.440). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.4.440
- Lee JU. 1977. Estimation of age composition and survival rate of the yellow croaker, Pseudosciaena polyactis Jordan et Thompson, in the yellow Sea and the East China Sea. Bull Fish Res Dev Agency 16, 7-31.
- Lee JU. 1991. Estimation on optimum fishing effort of walleye pollock fishery in the east coast of Korea: based on the economic analysis between danish seine fishery and trawl fishery for walleye pollock. J Fish Bus Admin 22, 75-99.
- Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries (MOF). 2001. A study on the comprehensive restructuring of off-shore fisheries. Report of KMI. 72-81.
- Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries (MOF). 2003. Research on the standardization of fishing effort and the appropriate scale of fishing gear. Report of PKNU and NIFS. 1-347.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). 2019. Fisheries statistics in fisheries information service. Retrieved from http://www.mof.go.kr/statPortal/cate/statView.do. Accessed 30 May 2019.
- National Fisheries Research and Development Agency (NFRDA). 1967. Fishing gear of Korea (No. 2). Asung Printing Co., 1-240.
- National Fisheries Research and Development Agency (NFRDA). 1989. Modern fishing gear of Korea. Yemoonsa, 1-624.
- National Institute of Fisheries Science (NIFS). 2002. Fishing gear of Korea. Hangul Graphics, 1-579.
- National Institute of Fisheries Science (NIFS). 2008. Fishing gear of Korea (revised edition). Hangul Graphics, 1-580.
- National Institute of Fisheries Science (NIFS). 2004. Korean coastal and offshore fishery census (Busan). Hangul Graphics, 1-223.
- Oh TY, Seo YI, Hwang KS, Cha HK, Jo HS, Hwang BK, Kim BY, Kim SJ and Lee YW. 2017. Change of relative fishing power index by technological development in the offshore red snow crab trap fishery. J Fish Mar Sci Edu 29, 1640-1647. (DOI: 10.13000/JFMSE.2017.29.4.1640).
- Oh TY, Seo YI, Hwang KS, Cha HK, Jo HS, Ahn YS and Lee YW. 2018. Change of fishing power index by technological development in the offshore squid jigging fishery. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 54, 224-230. (DOI: 10.3796/KSFT.2018.54.3.224).
- Pauly D and Palomares MLD. 2010. An empirical equation to predict annual increases in fishing efficiency. Fisheries Centre Working Paper #2010-07, UBC, Vancouver. 1-12.
- Seo YI, Hwang KS, Cha HK, Oh TY, Jo HS, Kim BY, Ryu KJ and Lee YW. 2017. Change of relative fishing power index from technological development in the offshore large powered purse seine fishery. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 53, 12-18. (DOI: 10.3796/KSFT.2017.53.1.012). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2017.53.1.012
- Shin ST. 1976. Approximate estimation of the survival rate in fish population utilizing the length composition. Bull Kor Fish Soc 9, 143-150.
- Shin ST. 1977. Estimation of the survival rate in fish population from the length composition and the growth equation. Bull Kor Fish Soc 10, 137-143.
- Yeon IJ, Lee DW, Lee JB, Choi KH, Hong BK, Kim JI and Kim YS. 2010. Long-term changes in the small yellow croaker, Pseudosciaena polyactis, population in the Yellow and East China Seas. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 46, 392-405.
- Zhang CI, Kim S and Yoon SB. 1992a. Stock assessment and management implications of small yellow croaker in Korean Waters. Bull Korean Fish Soc 25, 282-290.
- Zhang CI, Kim YM, Yoo SJ, Kim CK and Ahn SM. 1992b. A study on fluctuations in biomass of small yellow croaker, Pseudosciaena polyactis, off Korea. Bull Kor Fish Soc 25, 37-44.
- Zhang CI, Kim YM, Yoo SJ, Park CS, Kim SA, Kim CK and Yoon SB. 1992c. Estimation of population ecological characteristics of small yellow croaker, Pseudosciaena polyactis, off Korea. Bull Kor Fish Soc 25, 29-36.