- Volume 55 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The luring effect of the sardine bait for octopus pot in laboratory
실험실에서 문어 통발용 정어리 미끼의 유인 효과
- AN, Young-il (Dept. of Maritime Police and Technology, Gangwon State University)
- 안영일 (강원도립대학교 해양경찰과)
- Received : 2019.06.28
- Accepted : 2019.08.02
- Published : 2019.08.31
This study investigated the luring effect of the sardine bait, which is used to catch octopus with pot, as the preliminary study for the development of alternative bait for octopus pot. The soaking time for bait was divided into "5 days or less" and "11 days or longer" The number of times octopus entered the pot with bait and the empty pot was investigated under dark adaptation and light adaptation processes and the distribution of tank section was investigated under light adaptation process. The case of "11 days or longer" sardine soaking time showed higher rate of distribution in the section of pot with bait compared to the case of "5 days or less" In the case of "5 days or less" soaking time, the number of times the octopus entered the pot with bait was similar to that it entered the pot without it even during dark adaptation and light adaptation. However, in the case of "11 days or longer", the octopus entered the pot with bait more quickly than the pot without bait and more frequently during dark adaptation hours. There were cases where the octopus did not enter any pot. In the case of "5 days or less", with less decomposition of baits, the octopus entered the empty pot more during light adaptation process, and it appeared that the pot was used as a hideout.
Supported by : (사)한국 문어 생산자협회
- Ambrose RF. 1984. Food preferences, prey availability, and the diet of Octopus bimaculatus Verrill. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 77, 29-44. (DOI:10.1016/0022-0981(84)90049-2). https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0981(84)90049-2
- An YI and Park JY. 2005. Octopus fisheries in the coastal waters of Gangneung- I, pot fishery. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 41, 271-278. (DOI :10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.4.271). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.4.271
- An YI and Arimoto T. 2007. Development and artificial bait for octopus drift line. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 43(4), 291-300. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.291). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.291
- Claybourne A. 2004. The secret world of octopuses. Barker G, Block MS, Mattson J, Osler T, ed. Raintree, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A., 16-21.
- Chang HY, Koo JG, Lee KW and Cho BK. 2007. Attracting effect of baits used in trap for swimming crab. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 43, 301-309. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.301). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.301
- Chang HY, Koo JG, Cho BK, Jeong BG and Lee KW. 2008. Development of artificial bait for swimming crab pots. Research report, Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, 24-26.
- Emery DG. 1976. Observations on the olfactory organ of adult and juvenile Octopus joubini. Tissue & cell 8, 33-46. (DOI:10.1016/0040-8166(76)90018-5). https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-8166(76)90018-5
- Fiorito G and Gherardi F. 1999. Prey-handling behaviour of Octopus vulgaris (Mollusca, Cephalopoda) on Bivalve preys. Behavioural Processes 46, 75-88. (DOI:10.1016/S0376-6357(99)00020-0). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-6357(99)00020-0
- Forsythe JW and Hanlon RT. 1997. Foraging and associated behaviour by Octopus cyanea Gray, 1849 on a coral atoll, French Polynesia. J Exp Mar Bio. Ecol 209, 15-31. (DOI:10.1016/S0022-0981(96)00057-3). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0981(96)00057-3
- Groeneveld JC, Maharaj G and Smith CD. 2006. Octopus magnificus predation and bycatch in the trap fishery for spiny lobsters Palinurus gilchristi off South Africa. Fish Res 79, 90-96. (DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2005.12.016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2005.12.016
- Hamasaki DI 1968. The electroretinogram of the intact anesthetized octopus. Vision Res 8, 247-258. (DOI:10.1016/0042-6989(68)90012-6). https://doi.org/10.1016/0042-6989(68)90012-6
- Inoue M 1985. Fishing gear and fish's behavior. Kouseishakouseigaku, Tokyo, 157.
- Lee JH 2002. Comparison of fishing efficiency of spring frame pot and ring frame pot for octopus, Parotopus dofleini. M.S. Thesis, Pukyong National University, Korea. 4-25.
- Mather JA. 1988. Daytime activity of juvenile Octopus vulgaris(Mollusca, Cephalopoda) in Bermuda. Malacologia 29, 69-76.
- Mather JA. 1991. Foraging, feeding and prey remains in middens of juvenile Octopus vulgaris (Mollusca, Cephalopoda). J Zoo. lond 224, 27-39. (DOI:10.1111/j.1469-7998.1991.tb04786.x). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1991.tb04786.x
- Mather JA. 1993. Recent advances in cephalopod. Fisheries biology, Okutani T, O′Dor RK and Kubodera T ed. Tokai University press, Tokyo, 275-282.
- Lokkeborg S. 1990. Rate of release of potential feeding attractants from natural and artificial bait. Fish Res 8, 253-261. (DOI:10.1016/0165-7836(90)90026-R) https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(90)90026-R
- Lokkeborg S. 1991. Fishing experiments with an alternative longline bait using surplus fish products. Fish Res 12, 43-56. (DOI:10.1016/0165-7836(91)90048-K). https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(91)90048-K
- NIFS (National Institute of Fisheries Science). 1997. Basic survey report of coastal fishery. Side of whole country 36-37, Side of Gyeonggi-do 30.
- Polese G, Bertapelle C and Di Cosmo A. 2015. Role of olfaction in Octopus vulgaris reproduction. General and comparative endocrinology 210, 55-62. (DOI:10.1016/j.ygcen.2014.10.006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygcen.2014.10.006
- Polese G, Bertapelle C and Di Cosmo A. 2016. Olfactory organ of Octopus vulgaris: morphology, plasticity, turnover and sensory characterization. Biology open 5, 611-619. (DOI:10.1242/bio.017764). https://doi.org/10.1242/bio.017764
- Sano M, Umeda A, and Sasaki T. 2017. Seasomal chang in the vertical distribution of North Pacific giant octopus Enteroctopus dofleini in a box-fishery off northern Hokkaido in the Sea of Japan. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 83, 361-366. (DOI:10.2331/suisan.16-00058). https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.16-00058
- Shin JK, Cha BJ, Park HH, Cho SK, Kim HY, Jeong EC, Kim YH and Kim BY. 2008. Comparison of fishing efficiency on octopus traps to reduce bycatch in the east sea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 44, 1-9. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.1.001). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.1.001
- Takeuchi S. 1981. Fishing with pots Pot fishery. JSFS, ed. Fisheries series 36, Kouseisha-kouseikaku, Tokyo, 22-36.
- Yatsu A. 2019. Review of population dynamics and management of small pelagic fishes around the Japanese Archipelago. Fish Sci 85, 611-639. (DOI:10.1007/s12562-019-01305-3). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-019-01305-3
- Youm MG. 1998. The improved artificial trap baits. Bull. Korean Fish Tech Soc 26, 117-125.