- Volume 46 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of ultrasound treatment on the quality properties of chicken breast meat and the broth from Korean chicken soup (Baeksuk)
- Jung, Samooel (Division of Animal and Dairy Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jo, Kyung (Division of Animal and Dairy Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Sunmin (Division of Animal and Dairy Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Choi, Yun-Sang (Research Group of Food Processing, Korea Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2019.03.15
- Accepted : 2019.07.08
- Published : 2019.09.01
This study investigated the influence of ultrasound treatment on the quality properties of chicken breast meat and the broth from Korean chicken soup (Baeksuk). In this study, the internal temperature, malondialdehyde content, textural profile, color, dry matter, protein content, phenolic content and sensory properties of chicken breast meat broth from chicken soup with ultrasound treatment were analyzed. The chicken, plants, salt, and water were vacuum packaged in a retort pouch. The chicken soup was manufactured with ultrasound treatment (45 kHz and
Supported by : Korea Food Research Institute (KFRI), Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- Alarcon-Rojo AD, Hanacua H, Rodriguez JC, Paniwnyk L, Mason TJ. 2015. Power ultrasound in meat processing. Meat Science 107:86-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.04.015
- Carcel JA, Benedito J, Bon J, Mulet A. 2007. High intensity ultrasound effects on meat brining. Meat Science 76:611-619. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.01.022
- Chang HJ, Xu XL, Zhou GH, Li CB, Huang M. 2012. Effects of characteristics changes of collagen on meat physiochemical properties of beef semitendinosus muscle during ultrasonic processing. Food and Bioprocess Technology 5:285-297. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-009-0269-9
- Chemat F, Rombaut N, Sicaire AG, Meullemiestre A, Fabiano-Tixier AS, Abert-Vian M. 2017. Ultrasounds assisted extraction of food and natural products. Mechanisms, techniques, combinations, protocols and applications. A review. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 34:540-560. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2016.06.035
- Dolatowski Z, Stasiak D, Latoch A. 2000. Effect of ultrasound processing of meat before freezing on its texture after thawing. Electronic Journal of Polish Agricultural Universities 3(2).
- Dransfield E. 1994. Optimisation of tenderization, aging and tenderness. Meat Science 36:105-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90037-X
- Jambrak AR, Mason TJ, Lalas V, Herceg Z, Herceg IL. 2008. Effect of ultrasound treatment on solubility and foaming properties of whey protein suspensions. Journal of Food Engineering 86:281-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.10.004
- Jayasena DD, Jung S, Kim HJ, Alahakoon AU, Nam KC, Jo C. 2014. Effect of sex on flavor-related and functional compounds in freeze-dried broth made from Korean native chicken. Korean Journal for Food Science and Animal Resources 34:448-456. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.4.448
- Jayasooriya SD, Torley PJ, D'Arcy BR, Bhrandari BR. 2007. Effect of high power ultrasound and ageing on the physical properties of bovine semitendinosus and longissimus muscles. Meat Science 75:628-639. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.09.010
- Jo K, Lee J, Jung S. 2018. Quality characteristics of low-salt chicken sausage supplemented with a winter mushroom powder. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources 38:768-779.
- Kim HC, Choe J, Nam KC, Jung S, Jo C. 2018a. Productivity and meat quality of the new crossbred Korean native chickens compared with commercial breeds. Korean Journal of Poultry Science 45:125-135. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2018.45.2.125
- Kim HS, Lim JM, Kwon HJ, Yoo JY, Park PS, Choi YH, Choi JH, Park SY. 2013. Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics on the maturation period of the soy sauce containing Astragalus memvranaceus and Oak mushroom (Lentinus edodes). Korean Journal of Food Preservation 20:467-474. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.4.467
- Kim TK, Hwang KE, Choi HD, Sung JM, Jeon KH, Kim YB, Choi YS. 2018c. Effects of natural sources on quality of Samgyetang meat and broth. Korean Journal of Food and Cookery Science 34:476-483. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.5.476
- Kim TK, Ku SK, Sung JM, Kim YB, Kim HW, Choi YS. 2018b. Effects of margination and superheated steam process on quality characteristics of Samgyetang. Korean Journal of Food and Cookery Science 34:155-162. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.2.155
- Leal-Ramos MY, Alarcon-Rojo AD, Mason TJ, Paniwnyk L, Alarjah M. 2011. Ultrasound-enhanced mass transfer in Halal compared with non-Halal chicken. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 9:130-133.
- Lee J, Jo K, Jung S. 2018b. The curing of meat batter by the plasma treated juice of red perilla. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 45:475-484.
- Lee SY, Park JY, Hyun JM, Jung S, Jo C, Nam KC. 2018a. Comparative analysis of meat quality traits of new strains of native chickens for Samgyetang. Korean Journal of Poultry Science 45:175-182. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2018.45.3.175
- Ly HL, Tran TMC, Tran TTT, Ton NMN, Le VVM. 2018. Application of ultrasound to protein extraction from defatted rice bran. International Food Research Journal 25:695-701.
- Medina-Torres N, Ayora-Talavera T, Espinosa-Andrews H, Sanchez-Contreras A, Pacheco N. 2017. Ultrasound assisted extraction for the recovery of phenolic compounds from vegetable sources. Agronomy 7:47. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy7030047
- Miles CA, Morley MJ, Rendell M. 1999. High power ultrasonic thawing of frozen foods. Journal of Food Engineering 39:151-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(98)00155-1
- Pathare PB, Roskilly AP. 2016. Quality and energy evaluation in meat cooking. Food Engineering Reviews 8:435-447. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12393-016-9143-5
- Pohlman FW, Dikeman ME, Zayas JF. 1997. The effect of low intensity ultrasound treatment on shear properties, color stability and shelf-life of vaccum-packaged beef semitendinosus and biceps femoris muscles. Meat Science 45:329-337. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00106-4
- Preece KE, Hooshyar N, Krijgsman AJ, Fryer PJ, Zuidam NJ. 2017. Pilot-scale ultrasound-assisted extraction of protein from soybean processing materials shows it is not recommended for industrial usage. Journal of Food Engineering 206:1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2017.02.002
- Suman SP, Joseph P. 2013. Myoglobin chemistry and meat color. Annual Review of Food Science and Technology 4:79-99. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-food-030212-182623
- Tomsik A, Pavlic B, Vladic J, Ramic M, Bindza J, Vidovic S. 2016. Optimization of ultrasound-assisted extraction of bioactive compounds from wild garlic (Allium ursinum L.). Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 29:502-511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2015.11.005
- Vimini RJ, Kemp JD, Fox JD. 1983. Effects of low frequency ultrasound on properties of restructured beef rolls. Journal of Food Science 48:1572-1573. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb03545.x
- Xiong GY, Zhang LL, Zhang W, Wu J. 2012. Influence of ultrasound and proteolytic enzyme inhibitors on muscle degradation, tenderness, and cooking loss of hens during aging. Czech Journal of Food Science 30:195-205. https://doi.org/10.17221/136/2011-CJFS
- Zhang M, Chen X, Hayat K, Duhoraniman E, Zhnag X, Xia S, Yu J, Xing F. 2018. Characterization of odor-active compounds of chicken broth and improved flavor by thermal modulation in electrical stewpots. Food Research International 109:72-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2018.04.036