- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
FPGA Implementation of SC-FDE Timing Synchronization Algorithm
- Ji, Suyuan (Engineering Center of Digital Audio and Video, Communication University of China) ;
- Chen, Chao (Engineering Center of Digital Audio and Video, Communication University of China) ;
- Zhang, Yu (Communication and Technology Bureau, Xinhua News Agency)
- Received : 2017.11.15
- Accepted : 2018.05.01
- Published : 2019.08.31
The single carrier frequency domain equalization (SC-FDE) technology is an important part of the broadband wireless access communication system, which can effectively combat the frequency selective fading in the wireless channel. In SC-FDE communication system, the accuracy of timing synchronization directly affects the performance of the SC-FDE system. In this paper, on the basis of Schmidl timing synchronization algorithm a timing synchronization algorithm suitable for FPGA (field programmable gate array) implementation is proposed. In the FPGA implementation of the timing synchronization algorithm, the sliding window accumulation, quantization processing and amplitude reduction techniques are adopted to reduce the complexity in the implementation of FPGA. The simulation results show that the algorithm can effectively realize the timing synchronization function under the condition of reducing computational complexity and hardware overhead.
FPGA Implementation;SC-FDE;Timing Synchronization
Supported by : Ministry of Science and Technology of China
- J. Coon, J. Siew, M. Beach, A. Nix, S. Armour, and J. McGeehan, "A comparison of MIMO-OFDM and MIMO-SCFDE in WLAN environments," in Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM'03) (IEEE Cat. No. 03CH37489), San Francisco, CA, 2003, pp. 3296-3301.
- J. J. Van De Beek, M. Sandell, M. Isaksson, and P. O. Borjesson, "Low-complex frame synchronization in OFDM systems," in Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Universal Personal Communications, Tokyo, Japan, 1995, pp. 982-986.
- Y. Guo, G. Liu, and J. Ge, "A novel time and frequency synchronization scheme for OFDM systems," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 321-325, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2008.4560093
- J. Meng and G. Kang, "A novel OFDM synchronization algorithm based on CAZAC sequence," in Proceedings of 2010 International Conference on Computer Application and System Modeling, Taiyuan, China, 2010, pp. 634-637.
- G. Ren, Y. Chang, H. Zhang, and H. Zhang, "Synchronization method based on a new constant envelop preamble for OFDM systems," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 139-143, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBC.2004.842520
- Y. Zhu, H. Zhang, Y. Luo, "An OFDM timing and frequency synchronization algorithm based on CAZAC sequence," Computer Simulation, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 130-133, 2009.
- P. Y. Tsai, H. Y. Kang, and T. D. Chiueh, "Joint weighted least-squares estimation of carrier-frequency offset and timing offset for OFDM systems over multipath fading channels," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 211-223, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2004.838891
- T. Lv, H. Li, and J. Chen, "Joint estimation of symbol timing and carrier frequency offset of OFDM signals over fast time-varying multipath channels," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 4526-4535, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2005.859233
- T. M. Schmidl and D. C. Cox, "Robust frequency and timing synchronization for OFDM," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 1613-1621, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.650240
- IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Part 16: Air Interface for Fixed Broad-Band Wireless Access Systems, IEEE 802.16-REVd/D5 as IEEE 802.16-2004, 2004.
- W. Nie, H. Jin, and H. Yan, "Time synchronization algorithm for MIMO-OFDM system," Communication Technology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 374-377, 2016.
- M. Xia, D. Rouseff, J. A. Ritcey, X. Zou, C. Polprasert, and W. Xu, "Underwater acoustic communication in a highly refractive environment using SC-FDE," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 491-499, 2013.
- X. Liao and Y. Bai, "Improved symbol timing synchronization algorithms for SC-FDE systems," in Proceedings of 2013 3rd International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Communications and Networks, Xianning, China, 2013, pp. 363-366.
- C. Feng, J. Zhang, Y. Zhang, and M. Xia, "A novel timing synchronization method for MIMO OFDM systems," in Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Singapore, 2008, pp. 913-917.
- IEEE 802.16 Broadband Wireless Access Working Group, "Channel models for fixed wireless applications," 2003; http://www.ieee802.org/16/tga/docs/80216a-03_01.pdf.
- S. Yoshizawa, H. Tanimoto, and T. Saito, "SC-FDE vs OFDM: Performance comparison in shallow-sea underwater acoustic communication," in Proceedings of 2016 International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ISPACS), Phuket, Thailand, 2016, pp. 1-5.
- C. Chen, M. Zhao, and W. Chen, "Timing synchronization for SC-FDE," Journal of Zhejiang University (Engineering Science), vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 445-449, 2007.
- M. Huemer, H. Witschnig, and J. Hausner, "Unique word based phase tracking algorithms for SC/FDEsystems," in Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (IEEE Cat. No. 03CH37489), San Francisco, CA, 2003, pp. 70-74.