- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Emerging Technologies for Sustainable Smart City Network Security: Issues, Challenges, and Countermeasures
- Jo, Jeong Hoon (Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology (SeoulTech)) ;
- Sharma, Pradip Kumar (Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology (SeoulTech)) ;
- Sicato, Jose Costa Sapalo (Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology (SeoulTech)) ;
- Park, Jong Hyuk (Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology (SeoulTech))
- Received : 2019.02.01
- Accepted : 2019.04.18
- Published : 2019.08.31
The smart city is one of the most promising, prominent, and challenging applications of the Internet of Things (IoT). Smart cities rely on everything connected to each other. This in turn depends heavily on technology. Technology literacy is essential to transform a city into a smart, connected, sustainable, and resilient city where information is not only available but can also be found. The smart city vision combines emerging technologies such as edge computing, blockchain, artificial intelligence, etc. to create a sustainable ecosystem by dramatically reducing latency, bandwidth usage, and power consumption of smart devices running various applications. In this research, we present a comprehensive survey of emerging technologies for a sustainable smart city network. We discuss the requirements and challenges for a sustainable network and the role of heterogeneous integrated technologies in providing smart city solutions. We also discuss different network architectures from a security perspective to create an ecosystem. Finally, we discuss the open issues and challenges of the smart city network and provide suitable recommendations to resolve them.
Blockchain;Edge Computing;Internet of Things;Network Security;Smart City
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- C. Yin, Z. Xiong, H. Chen, J. Wang, D. Cooper, and B. David, "A literature survey on smart cities," Science China Information Sciences, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 1-18, 2015.
- H. March, "The smart city and other ICT-led techno-imaginaries: any room for dialogue with degrowth?," Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 197, pp. 1694-1703, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.09.154
- K. Saravanan, E. G. Julie, and Y. H. Robinson, "Smart cities & IoT: evolution of applications, architectures & technologies, present scenarios & future dream," in Internet of Things and Big Data Analytics for Smart Generation. Heidelberg: Springer, 2019, pp. 135-151.
- P. K. Sharma, S. Y. Moon, and J. H. Park, "Block-VN: a distributed blockchain based vehicular network architecture in smart city," Journal of Information Processing Systems, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 184-195, 2017.
- V. Suryani, S. Sulistyo, and W. Widyawan, "Two-phase security protection for the Internet of Things object," Journal of Information Processing Systems, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1431-1437, 2018.
- A. Souri and R. Hosseini, "A state-of-the-art survey of malware detection approaches using data mining techniques," Human-centric Computing and Information Sciences, vol. 8, article no. 3, 2018.
- P. K. Sharma, J. H. Ryu, K. Y. Park, J. H. Park, and J. H. Park, "Li-Fi based on security cloud framework for future IT environment," Human-centric Computing and Information Sciences, vol. 8, article no. 23, 2018.
- H. Arasteh, V. Hosseinnezhad, V. Loia, A. Tommasetti, O. Troisi, M. Shafie-Khah, and P. Siano, "IoT-based smart cities: a survey," in Proceedings of 2016 IEEE 16th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC), Florence, Italy, 2016, pp. 1-6.
- A. Gharaibeh, M. A. Salahuddin, S. J. Hussini, A. Khreishah, I. Khalil, M. Guizani, and A. Al-Fuqaha, "Smart cities: a survey on data management, security, and enabling technologies," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 2456-2501, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/COMST.2017.2736886
- M. Sookhak, H. Tang, Y. He, and F. R. Yu, "Security and privacy of smart cities: a survey, research issues and challenges," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 1718-1743, 2018.
- D. Eckhoff and I. Wagner, "Privacy in the smart city: applications, technologies, challenges, and solutions," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 489-516, 2017.
- L. Cui, G. Xie, Y. Qu, L. Gao, and Y. Yang, "Security and privacy in smart cities: challenges and opportunities," IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 46134-46145, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2853985
- P. K. Sharma, S. Singh, Y. S. Jeong, and J. H. Park, "Distblocknet: a distributed blockchains-based secure SDN architecture for IoT networks," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 78-85, 2017.
- H. R. Arkian, A. Diyanat, and A. Pourkhalili, "MIST: fog-based data analytics scheme with cost-efficient resource provisioning for IoT crowdsensing applications," Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 82, pp. 152-165, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2017.01.012
- A. Martinez-Balleste, P. A. Perez-Martinez, and A. Solanas, "The pursuit of citizens' privacy: a privacy-aware smart city is possible," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 136-141, 2013.
- J. P. Gouveia, J. Seixas, and G. Giannakidis, "Smart city energy planning: integrating data and tools," in Proceedings of the 25th International Conference Companion on World Wide Web, Montreal, Canada, 2016, pp. 345-350.
- P. Michalik, J. Stofa, and I. Zolotova, "Concept definition for big data architecture in the education system," in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE 12th International Symposium on Applied Machine Intelligence and Informatics (SAMI), Herl'any, Slovakia, 2014, pp. 331-334.
- D. Li, Y. Yao, and Z. Shao, "Big data in smart city," Geomatics and Information Science of Wuhan University, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 631-640, 2014.
- L. Atzori, A. Iera, and G. Morabito, "The Internet of Things: a survey," Computer Networks, vol. 54, no. 15, pp. 2787-2805, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2010.05.010
- S. Al-Nasrawi, C. Adams, and A. El-Zaart, "A conceptual multidimensional model for assessing smart sustainable cities," Journal of Information Systems and Technology Management, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 541-558, 2015.
- M. Ibrahim, C. Adams, and A. El-Zaart, "Paving the way to smart sustainable cities: transformation models and challenges," Journal of Information Systems and Technology Management, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 559-576, 2015.
- M. Hojer and J. Wangel, "Smart sustainable cities: definition and challenges," in ICT Innovations for Sustainability. Cham: Springer, 2015, pp. 333-349.
- J. Lin, W. Yu, N. Zhang, X. Yang, H. Zhang, and W. Zhao, "A survey on Internet of Things: architecture, enabling technologies, security and privacy, and applications," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1125-1142, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2017.2683200
- P. K. Sharma, S. Rathore, and J. H. Park, "DistArch-SCNet: blockchain-based distributed architecture with Li-Fi communication for a scalable smart city network," IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 55-64, 2018.
- J. Xu, B. Palanisamy, H. Ludwig, and Q. Wang, "Zenith: utility-aware resource allocation for edge computing," in Proceedings of 2017 IEEE International Conference on Edge Computing (EDGE), Honolulu, HI, 2017, pp. 47-54.
- P. K. Sharma, M. Y. Chen, and J. H. Park, "A software defined fog node based distributed blockchain cloud architecture for IoT," IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 115-124, 2017.
- S. P. Mohanty, U. Choppali, and E. Kougianos, "Everything you wanted to know about smart cities: the internet of things is the backbone," IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 60-70, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCE.2016.2556879
- D. Puthal, S. Nepal, R. Ranjan, and J. Chen, "Threats to networking cloud and edge datacenters in the Internet of Things," IEEE Cloud Computing, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 64-71, 2016.
- J. P. Vasseur, G. Mermoud, and S. Dasgupta, "Mixed centralized/distributed algorithm for risk mitigation in sparsely connected networks," U.S. Patent No. 9565111, 2017.
- N. C. Luong, D. T. Hoang, P. Wang, D. Niyato, D. I. Kim, and Z. Han, "Data collection and wireless communication in Internet of Things (IoT) using economic analysis and pricing models: a survey," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 2546-2590, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/COMST.2016.2582841
- M. Ortiz-Rangel, L. Rueda-Vasquez, C. Duarte-Gualdron, J. Petit, and G. Ordonez-Plata, "Towards a smart city: design of a domestic smart grid," in Proceedings of 2015 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Latin America (ISGT LATAM), Montevideo, Uruguay, 2015, pp. 863-868.
- P. Wang, L. T. Yang, and J. Li, "An edge cloud-assisted CPSS framework for smart city," IEEE Cloud Computing, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 37-46, 2018.
- T. Taleb, S. Dutta, A. Ksentini, M. Iqbal, and H. Flinck, "Mobile edge computing potential in making cities smarter," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 38-43, 2017.
- D. Nagothu, R. Xu, S. Y. Nikouei, and Y. Chen, "A microservice-enabled architecture for smart surveillance using blockchain technology," in Proceedings of 2018 IEEE International Smart Cities Conference (ISC2), Kansas City, MO, 2018, pp. 1-4.
- S. Ibba, A. Pinna, M. Seu, and F. E. Pani, "CitySense: blockchain-oriented smart cities," in Proceedings of the XP2017 Scientific Workshops, Cologne, Germany, 2017.
- M. Chen, F. Herrera, and K. Hwang, "Cognitive computing: architecture, technologies and intelligent applications," IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 19774-19783, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2791469
- M. Alhussein, G. Muhammad, M. S. Hossain, and S. U. Amin, "Cognitive IoT-cloud integration for smart healthcare: case study for epileptic seizure detection and monitoring," Mobile Networks and Applications, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1624-1635, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11036-018-1113-0
- R. Abhishek, S. Zhao, and D. Medhi, "SPArTaCuS: service priority adaptiveness for emergency traffic in smart cities using software-defined networking," in Proceedings of 2016 IEEE International Smart Cities Conference (ISC2), Trento, Italy, 2016, pp. 1-4.
- M. Usman, A. A. Gebremariam, U. Raza, and F. Granelli, "A software-defined device-to-device communication architecture for public safety applications in 5G networks," IEEE Access, vol. 3, pp. 1649-1654, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2015.2479855
- M. M. Rathore, A. Ahmad, A. Paul, and S. Rho, "Urban planning and building smart cities based on the internet of things using big data analytics," Computer Networks, vol. 101, pp. 63-80, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2015.12.023
- M. M. Rathore, A. Paul, W. H. Hong, H. Seo, I. Awan, and S. Saeed, "Exploiting IoT and big data analytics: defining smart digital city using real-time urban data," Sustainable Cities and Society, vol. 40, pp. 600-610, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2017.12.022
- F. A. Alaba, M. Othman, I. A. T. Hashem, and F. Alotaibi, "Internet of Things security: a survey," Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 88, pp. 10-28, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2017.04.002
- A. Fekih, S. Gaied, and H. Yousef, "A comparative study of content-centric and software defined networks in smart cities," in Proceedings of 2017 International Conference on Smart, Monitored and Controlled Cities (SM2C), Sfax, Tunisia, 2017, pp. 147-151.
- S. Djahel, R. Doolan, G. M. Muntean, and J. Murphy, "A communications-oriented perspective on traffic management systems for smart cities: challenges and innovative approaches," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 125-151, 2014.
- N. Y. Kim, J. H. Ryu, B. W. Kwon, Y. Pan, and J. H. Park, "CF-CloudOrch: container fog node-based cloud orchestration for IoT networks," The Journal of Supercomputing, vol. 74, no. 12, pp. 7024-7045, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-018-2493-4
- N. Mohan and J. Kangasharju, "Edge-fog cloud: a distributed cloud for Internet of Things computations," in Proceedings of 2016 Cloudification of the Internet of Things (CIoT), Paris, France, 2016, pp. 1-6.
- S. Chakrabarty and D. W. Engels, "A secure IoT architecture for smart cities," in Proceedings of 2016 13th IEEE Annual Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), Las Vegas, NV, 2016, pp. 812-813.
- W. Shi, J. Cao, Q. Zhang, Y. Li, and L. Xu, "Edge computing: vision and challenges," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 637-646, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2016.2579198
- R. Kitchin, "Getting smarter about smart cities: improving data privacy and data security," Department of the Taoiseach, Dublin, Ireland, 2016.
- X. Li, R. Lu, X. Liang, X. Shen, J. Chen, and X. Lin, "Smart community: an internet of things application," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 68-75, 2011.
- M. A. Ferrag, L. Maglaras, and A. Ahmim, "Privacy-preserving schemes for ad hoc social networks: a survey," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 3015-3045, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/COMST.2017.2718178
- A. Kramers, M. Hojer, N. Lovehagen, and J. Wangel, "Smart sustainable cities: exploring ICT solutions for reduced energy use in cities," Environmental Modelling & Software, vol. 56, pp. 52-62, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2013.12.019